Do you do drugs?

Guest The Pom Queen

I came round from major surgery once and they had forgotten to set up any kind of pain relief. That was somewhat intense to say the least, but, no I tend to try to cary on without if I can. Ive got a permanently dislocated hip and associated chronic pain, but being so young I wonder if while I'm able to manage most of the time without pain killers I should limit their use? I mean, if I'm popping them all the time, might their effect ware off if things get worse as I get older? That's my reasoning anyway, try not to use them unless I absolutely have to. Occasionally I'll take a paracetemol Before bed otherwise I won't sleep, or I'd I've got a really busy looking day in clinic, but even then only once every couple of months or so.

... When I say before bed etc... That's not because pain killers help me sleep. :/ thats because my hip(s) might be particularly painful at that time.

Edited by annagilda

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came round from major surgery once and they had forgotten to set up any kind of pain relief. That was somewhat intense to say the least, but, no I tend to try to cary on without if I can. Ive got a permanently dislocated hip and associated chronic pain, but being so young I wonder if while I'm able to manage most of the time without pain killers I should limit their use? I mean, if I'm popping them all the time, might their effect ware off if things get worse as I get older? That's my reasoning anyway, try not to use them unless I absolutely have to. Occasionally I'll take a paracetemol Before bed otherwise I won't sleep, or I'd I've got a really busy looking day in clinic, but even then only once every couple of months or so.

... When I say before bed etc... That's not because pain killers help me sleep. :/ thats because my hip(s) might be particularly painful at that time.

Omg what a nightmare! How did they forget! Im not sure what they gave me in hospital but it didnt agree with me, i felt awful. Might of been the GA tho.

im not sure if they would wear off for you when you were older, maybe one of the nurses on here could tell you.

Omg what a nightmare! How did they forget! Im not sure what they gave me in hospital but it didnt agree with me, i felt awful. Might of been the GA tho.

im not sure if they would wear off for you when you were older, maybe one of the nurses on here could tell you.

They just forgot I think. I was a kid and my parents received all sorts of apology letters and whatnot. Everyone makes mistakes I guess. I was fine in the end.

Yeah, you are probably right, they wouldn't ware off, it's just in my psychology module we learned about people with long term conditions reporting that the pain relief they were on was loosing its effect, not due to the medication per se, but more down to the persons belief that it wasn't working any more. I think a lot of mild pain killers are a lot down to the placebo effect. It's all interesting anyway. :-) x

Not normally but I have today and yesterday, I don't like relying on paracetemol etc because the more you take them the less effective they become over time and then you'll just end up relying on even stronger stuff. Do multivitamins count? as i have been thinking about buying some.

Guest Guest26012

I don't normally take meds but if my back hurts, occupational hazard, I take panadol and ibuprofen. I have just started taking menoeze forte for menopause but its a natural product.

Guest Guest26012
Not normally but I have today and yesterday, I don't like relying on paracetemol etc because the more you take them the less effective they become over time and then you'll just end up relying on even stronger stuff. Do multivitamins count? as i have been thinking about buying some.

​take the vitamins if you need them, I used to take evening primrose and vitamin b12 and always felt better on them.

I'd just have the gas, i don't handle pain very well either lol. My friend had no pain relief at all! by choice. Don't know how she did it lol.

Urgh, i cant be doing with that "i want it to be natural" stuff lol total madness! I'd be like "give me everything you've got"

Guest Guest26012
Urgh, i cant be doing with that "i want it to be natural" stuff lol total madness! I'd be like "give me everything you've got"

​When it happens you'll ask for everything, I did lol!

Apart from the injection in the spine. No no for me because someone i know was nearly paralysed because of it. I'd rather be in pain.

Depends a lot on your anatomy and the skill/experience of the person administering the drug. When I was in labor, I was extremely worried about it and didn`t want it. The labor didn`t progress for some time ( 6 hours on the same magic 3 cm) and baby started to show signs of trouble. They convinced me to have the epi, anesthesiologist was done within 3 minutes, I got a great relief and possibly because I wasn`t so tense I got from 3 cm to 9 cm within 1 hour . I didn`t even think about it with the second baby, got an epi as soon as I got in the hospital and my daughter was born 5 hours later. It was the best 1200 $ spent on medical care:wink:

• 4 weeks later...

I always deny for morphine drip. It's because the morphine drip almost killed someone very close to me.

A morphine overdose causes symptoms such as vomiting, nausea, low blood pressure, coma, drowsiness, a weak pulse, seizures (sometimes), temporarily loss of breathing, bluish-colored fingernails and lips. Hence, I would recommend say no to morphine drip.