Deepdown do you plan to stay

Phil & Vikki

Guest guest76088

Because you need some planning horizon for assumptions wrt pensions, schooling, investments,career, health, house-selling and buying etc etc etc

You may change your mind, but you then review and refine your choices. It is better than making inconsistent choices.

BigD

I've never understood people who move to Australia (or anywhere else for that matter) with a plan of going for four years or forever or whatever. How on earth do you know how you are going to feel in 1, 4 or even 10 years time?

Once my Australian OH and I became 'serious' we talked about moving to Australia and there was this agreement that we would move one day but for a long time I really didn't want to move. Don't know why, but if I'm completely honest I would have said that at the time I felt like I never really wanted to move. Ten years later and the way I felt changed and it became the right time to start seriously looking in to moving. And now here we are. And who knows how long for or how we will feel in another ten years from now.

Nothing wrong with making plans if you like them, just as long as you are flexible enough to change them should circumstances and/or opinions change.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because you need some planning horizon for assumptions wrt pensions, schooling, investments,career, health, house-selling and buying etc etc etc

You may change your mind, but you then review and refine your choices. It is better than making inconsistent choices.

BigD

Yep its all about planning these days, thank goodness I lived when we did things on a whim, did not worry too much, something would turn up and it did. Hope there are still some adventurers around.

Who knows? We always said we'd stay until we were eligible for citizenship, and have done that now. We love living here and there are absolutely no plans to return to the uk, but who knows how we'll feel in 10 or 20 years time. I am not sure we could move back to the UK though, I think that now we are expats we will always be expats. We are due to go back to the UK in September for a holiday. Neither of us has had homesickness in the 4.5 years we have been here (and the kids were too little when we left to remember), but I have no clue what feelings will be stirred up by the visit.

We are due to go back to the UK in September for a holiday. Neither of us has had homesickness in the 4.5 years we have been here (and the kids were too little when we left to remember), but I have no clue what feelings will be stirred up by the visit.

Snap, almost. Also wondering what feelings will be stirred up

We'll just miss you! Going end August and staying (amongst other places) with friends in Wixoe and Cowlinge

​:wink:

We never thought about whether we would stay or go back. Didn't like it for the first 2 years but after getting back to work and eventually into our own home I was quite happy to be here. It was 16 years before I had my first holiday back and was so glad to get back on the plane. I guess after almost 47 years I'll not be going anywhere else, except for holidays.

We certainly expect to stay here for ever - and if we do move I seriously doubt it would be back to the UK. Nothing particularly against the UK but it would feel like we've wasted everything that we've done. Plus we've lived there all our lives prior to the last 18 months so why not try something new?

One thing that a couple of people mentioned; not calling the UK "home" I think has an impact on how likely you are to think about moving back. Just a thought.

Guest hill billy

Totally agree with PositivePixie, when i suggested to my hubby about coming to Aus over 30 years ago, he said if we go, there would be no going back, we have never reffered to the UK as home and have never wanted to go back even for a holiday.

Guest chris955

I actually find that quite sad, not about not wanting to return to live that is fine but never having wanted to go back to your home country even for a holiday. We will definitely be going back to Australia for a holiday, I cant imagine ever not wanting to.

My partner has just lost his Dad, who had a stroke back in February. He passed away on the 12th of May, and we are incredibly grateful that we got to spend 3 weeks with him in April. He was only 65. I simply cannot go through this with 3 more parents. The experience has made us seriously re-prioritise and all the sunny days and beaches cannot make up for quality time spent with the people you love. All I can say is you don't know how you'll feel about this until it happens to you. Everyone dies, but most of them don't simply drop dead. Many will require care and compassion in their final days/weeks/months/years and you seriously have to think about who is responsible or should I say compelled to provide that. I know that when I am older and about to fall off the perch, I would want my children to be there just like I will be there for my parents and they are there for their parents.

Firstly, so sorry for your loss. Secondly, wise, wise words. We are heading back in 6 weeks for many of the reasons you have said.

Hope your plans to head home go smoothly. :)

I actually find that quite sad, not about not wanting to return to live that is fine but never having wanted to go back to your home country even for a holiday. We will definitely be going back to Australia for a holiday, I cant imagine ever not wanting to.

Must agree with you on this one. If we do leave Australia down the line we will be coming back here for a holiday in the future, we may even come back in the years to come. We would never take the opinion that we are never going to go back. From what we see, the place is part of your life and it is nice to go back now and then, even to see how things are changing. For us, we have to many interests in the UK never to go back even if at the time we do not want to J

I can understand wanting to come back to Aus for a holiday but can also understand not wanting to go back to the UK for one.

There are so many other places you could go that would be far nicer than going back to the UK. It's expensive to go. You are expected to see all the family and travel all over the place to fit them in, not staying too long in one place than the other so you don't upset anyone. When we went for a month a few years ago we were so knackered when we got back we needed a holiday to get over it, but had to go back to work.

Coming back to Aus for a holiday would at least give you a bit of good weather. Your not even guaranteed that in the UK.

We have to go back this August for a wedding. Looking forward to catching up with Family but again we are under pressure to be at certain places at certain times from both sides of the family. My wifes Sister wanted us to go meet them in the Breckon Beacons or the Lake District. We've e-mailed back and said we are going to be in Manchester between these dates and if they want to see us that's where we'll be. Th

is time we've booked a few days on Santosa Island on the way back, for a real holiday.

Guest chris955

What a strange reply, you can (of course) understand wanting to come to Australia for a holiday but not the UK. You have to remember that not everyone is ruled by the weather which probably accounts for the 10's of millions of tourists that flock to the UK every year.

All my family are scattered all over Australia and I could never get to see them all but we will see as many as possible.

I can understand wanting to come back to Aus for a holiday but can also understand not wanting to go back to the UK for one.

There are so many other places you could go that would be far nicer than going back to the UK. It's expensive to go. You are expected to see all the family and travel all over the place to fit them in, not staying too long in one place than the other so you don't upset anyone. When we went for a month a few years ago we were so knackered when we got back we needed a holiday to get over it, but had to go back to work.

Coming back to Aus for a holiday would at least give you a bit of good weather. Your not even guaranteed that in the UK.

We have to go back this August for a wedding. Looking forward to catching up with Family but again we are under pressure to be at certain places at certain times from both sides of the family. My wifes Sister wanted us to go meet them in the Breckon Beacons or the Lake District. We've e-mailed back and said we are going to be in Manchester between these dates and if they want to see us that's where we'll be. Th

is time we've booked a few days on Santosa Island on the way back, for a real holiday.

What a strange reply, you can (of course) understand wanting to come to Australia for a holiday but not the UK. You have to remember that not everyone is ruled by the weather which probably accounts for the 10's of millions of tourists that flock to the UK every year.

All my family are scattered all over Australia and I could never get to see them all but we will see as many as possible.

No I can understand people wanting to go to the UK for a holiday if they've never been before. Lots to see and do. I'm just not bothered as I lived there for 40 years.

Guest hill billy

That's because we are content and this is our home country.

Guest hill billy
Must agree with you on this one. If we do leave Australia down the line we will be coming back here for a holiday in the future, we may even come back in the years to come. We would never take the opinion that we are never going to go back. From what we see, the place is part of your life and it is nice to go back now and then, even to see how things are changing. For us, we have to many interests in the UK never to go back even if at the time we do not want to J

We don't need to see how things are changing in the UK our life plus our kids and our grandkids is here, i've lived here longer than i lived in the UK.

I think there are an awful lot of 'permanent Australians' who are now thinking about returning to UK and many like us who never even entertained the idea for over 30 years. I cried once upon leaving Brisbane for a two month holiday back there! I hated leaving Australia. Now I'm back! One reason is the drop in the price of houses here and the high price of groceries in Australia now makes UK seem so cheap! Perhaps, subconsciously we didn't think about it because we couldn't have afforded to have returned. Perhaps it's an 'age' thing! However, with us it was more like a bolt of lightening during our last trip back a couple of years ago and it stunned both of us. It also took 3 months for either of us to admit our feelings to each other! I have 3 adult children in Oz, we have sold both our family house and our investment home plus our car of course and our 35ft motor home - all the things we worked for! About to move into a rental flat with only 2 bedrooms and we have a tiny car and a tiny garage to match LOL. We are still so delighted with ourselves and our decision but who knows long-term?

Guest chris955

Yes I think you are right on all counts. My wife works with another returnee from Brisbane and he says he has no intention of returning. The thing is both countries have changed enormously over the years.

Never plan for "forever" because you never know where life is going to take you. Once your freedom to move is taken away then even paradise can feel like hell - no one likes a jail. I don't think I ever saw Australia as "forever" but it seemed like a good idea for a long time - then it stopped being a good idea and another idea was better. I think I'll be backpacking until I drop dead - or t least I hope I will!

I'm coming with you!

If we are self sufficient and do not need people around us to stroke us then we can move around wherever we like and nothing affects us. However from the threads I read most of the returnees are people who need stroking, the op for example, not much contact with the grandkids here, etc etc. So moving to a new pond will be like being a fish out of water, the Uk is a lot more densely populated than when we were young. Rellies that we have are young and not sure they would want to spend a lot of time stroking me or my oh, and we would not expect them to. Rellies that are old need the same help as we need as we age so not much stroking there. So as we age, our friends and rellies die off and sometimes if you live a long time you become the last one, my mum is the last one. Has one friend left who is older than her but her friend is not well now so maybe she will be all alone. If she returned to the UK, she has lots of nieces and nephews, my age, goodness me, they do not want to have to look after 94 year old, even though she has all her marbles and lives alone. So its all about too late.

Some people like my brother and sister in law have kept in touch with all their friends in UK and obviously if she wanted to return she would find it easier to slot in. However a lot of us do not bother too busy with our new lives and children etc. Just not that sociable I guess. So its like going somewhere you have visited before.

What I do know is that you need someone who is familiar with the pension department, national health etc and can point us in the right direction to get any sort of help we need. However, why should we expect that, we left yonks ago, we have not contributed much.

Dollar and pound go up and down. If you live long enough you get to see a lot of this.

So we choose to live here in Aus all these years and then we go and live overseas, up in Brisbane, to Fiji, to Phillipines or Thailand for retirement.

Sorry to bust the balloon but a lot of people find that all the things they want to do in retirement are too expensive, cannot be done because of body dropping off.

We should be content by now.

For me cruising around the world is the ideal solution, can meet up with people if you want to, or veg out on own if you want. No cleaning, no shopping, no worries. Everything is taken care of.

Good luck to anyone who returns when older but reckon its just as hard a slog as when younger, only thing is we may be poorer.

We are not poorer because of the way things have turned out with our disability pension from UK and NSW but who wants that, health and no pension and happiness much better option.

Edited by Petals
spell
  • Like 1

I think there are more opportunities for work in the UK however its just more of a chore living and working in the UK.

I assume I will go back, maybe sooner rather than later as the work here seems to be declining at an alarming rate, with some luck I can stay a while though.

What makes me laugh is so many aim to stay to get a passport then leave - what's the point if your leaving, if you think your going to come back then stay ! idiots :biggrin:

I think there are more opportunities for work in the UK however its just more of a chore living and working in the UK.

I assume I will go back, maybe sooner rather than later as the work here seems to be declining at an alarming rate, with some luck I can stay a while though.

What makes me laugh is so many aim to stay to get a passport then leave - what's the point if your leaving, if you think your going to come back then stay ! idiots :biggrin:

Perhaps explaining our situation would help you to understand. We have a 4 year plan, which involves staying until we get a passport. We will then decide where our future lies, Australia or the UK/Europe (now all the borders are open). The way we feel at the moment, we will be staying for the rest of our lives as we see no reason to go back to the UK. However, if we did decide that Australia is not for us, by staying and getting the passport, we give our children the option in the future to decide which country they want to live in, without having to go through all the palava that we went through in getting visas etc.

Saying we are here for 4 years initially also reduces the pressure of having to make it work. If it does, great, if it doesn't then we will have had an interesting 4 years and one great big adventure. It is also easier for the relatives to accept if they think we are here for 4 years (with a review after that), rather than say "forever" which is an awfully long time. I also wonder if we would be setting ourselves up to feel that we had failed if, in 4 years time, we do decide to go back to the UK? I certainly know that when I moved back to the UK from Canada the first time it was predominantly due to homesickness. I felt I'd failed then because I had made a big deal about how I had gone forever. If we have viewed it as a 4 year adventure then we have not failed if we decide that our futures lie in the UK.