Deepdown do you plan to stay

Phil & Vikki

This may be a bit of a strange question, but recently the people that we have spoken to all seem to have a long term plan to return back to the UK. This may not be straight away, but there does seem to be a bit of a trend we have noticed. This may be due to the fact that we are thinking of options, but we have noticed it more and more. We read something in a post not so long ago where this member was moving back and they said that they would have more of an appreciation for when they have back in the UK. That does seem to be the case with us if we went back.

Edited by Phil & Vikki

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only been here 6 months on a WHV (about to get a 457, then hopefully PR), and always planned on staying given the chance. Then in the darker moments I've realised in the back of my mind, I'd always expected to go back "home." Maybe underestimated the homesickness, maybe just seems a way out if things didn't work here.

Either way, the lure of going back is massive, until I remember the reasons I wanted to be here in the first place.

We've always said that we have a 4 year plan. We came out here on PR and will give it 4 years and apply for citizenship. Once we have that, both we and our children (in the future) will have many more options and will be able to decide which country we want to live and work in. At the moment (4 months in) we have no plans to go back, but will not make any final decisions until we have been here for 4 years.

I think, never say never. I wouldnt like to predict how I'll feel in 20 years time and to be honest it's not something I worry about. If it seems the right thing to do (to go back) we will, if it doesn't we won't. I think we worry too much. Why should we have to commit ourselves forever to any place or situation?

I would think, due to the board this is on, most replies.you get will be in.the affirmative, however have to say for me and hubby I don't think.it ever crossed our mind to return to the.UK, we certainly have no.plans to nor wish to (I think the phrase is 'they can't make me get on a plane, I have a pr visa!') either in the short or long term future.

I think hubby made the point when we were in the investigative stage that if we did it there would be no going back to the UK for us. Imho, people whom refer to the UK as 'home' after moving here never surprise me that they end up returning, sooner or later, whereas those that settle for the long term here stop calling the UK 'home' from the get go. Perhaps a bit subconscious terminology, and something.that would be interesting to survey on a vert wide scale lol :)

( sorry for typos, on pants phone)

It's hard to say, we have been here 25 years this year, my Dad is 62, we have recently had a family holiday to Bali with all of us, while chatting my Dad admitted that he would love to return to Ireland, I think we were all surprised, but of course I doubt it will happen...

I think when people emigrate it's hard to say it's "forever" as most go on a temp long stay working visa so there is always that element of things not working out from a career perspective that could affect how long you stay.

​For me and my o/h we do intend to make the move with the idea of it being permanent (work permitting) but there is also the aspect of settling in...missing friends & family back home etc. I think you can have every intention of making Oz your perm home, but i don't think you can ever say for how long before emigrating...different things draw different people back to their roots etc. I'm going to keep an open mind and see what happens, but in that same breath...i aren't going with the pre-thought that i will return to the UK "someday"either but i think that could make it infinitely harder to settle.

I think when you have a day when your feeling a bit low, all you want is the familiarity of "back home" but then the next day you can bouce back.

everyone different but for me I've been thinking that if I ever and hopefully never get seriously ill I just can't imagine going thru it here.

you read about people being home stick before you come and you just don't think it will happen to you, but it does.

on the whole I love it here, but if those odd dark days ever turn into a frequent longing to return then I would.

I think when people emigrate it's hard to say it's "forever" as most go on a temp long stay working visa so there is always that element of things not working out from a career perspective that could affect how long you stay.

​For me and my o/h we do intend to make the move with the idea of it being permanent (work permitting) but there is also the aspect of settling in...missing friends & family back home etc. I think you can have every intention of making Oz your perm home, but i don't think you can ever say for how long before emigrating...different things draw different people back to their roots etc. I'm going to keep an open mind and see what happens, but in that same breath...i aren't going with the pre-thought that i will return to the UK "someday"either but i think that could make it infinitely harder to settle.

From what I've seen of your posts, I think you will def "make a proper go of it" but at the end of the day if Oz is not working for YOU, then of course move on to somewhere that is, doesn't even have to be back to the UK

Guest chris955

If anyone had asked us even 4 years ago if we would leave Brisbane and come to England we would have said they were mad but now it is the best thing we could have done. It is amazing how things change.

I think my Mum would return however she has done a few times and always found it was not quite what she wanted or remembered, however each time she forgot about that and went again. I am not taking her this time, although anyone who wants to take her can lol. Read a post yesterday about missing parents and going home and thought take my mum.

Seriously though when we migrate we do it for a reason and I think we have to remember what reason we had. There are those that look on it as a short term adventure and always intend on returning and there are those that really want a new type of life. So we have to decide which one we are. Also home for us is not the UK now its Aus because our children were born here and they look at our house and where we live as home and if we up sticks and moved to UK that would be awful for them and we would have failed in that aspect of migration.

My friend is Aussie and they moved States and her children although grown still think of their house across the road from me owned by someone else as home. You see its all about the children that is what migration is really about. The illegals and the European migrants are not moving for themselves, they are moving for the opportunities that another country can offer their children.

Losing sight of what is really important is often a failing of us as parents. We are all guilty of it in one way or another but we have to try for their sakes its only human nature.

My business is still in the Uk and all my family (and that of my wife) are there, but there is nothing that at this moment would make me move back, especially as my children see themselves here forever. I guess if I ever have grandchildren and they are living in the UK then that is the only thing that might make me feel differently (barring war/natural disaster etc).

I don't prefer Australia to the UK but having lived my first 45 years there, I am loving the change and opportunity that this move has given our family. My wife and kids thrived in the UK and they are doing the same here - what more could I ask for??

​NWM

Everyone keeps asking me if Im going for good and I'm not sure right now if it will be a forever move I kind of have a staged plan of initially 2 years to see if am coping financially as lone parent but if really struggling hand to mouth would have to review things if all good or bearable then my next goal would be to aim for citizenship. A lot will depend on other factors as well like if I meet someone or if I don't and kids return and settle in UK and also old age when retired and frailer might feel to return back at that point.

I'd like to think that one day we'll go back. I love England and it will always be home to me.

It is possible to have more than one home though: I suppose I have a 'head' and a 'heart' home: England is heart, Australia head.

Aus is a great place to bring up kids, job's good, wife's near her parents. We have no plans at this stage.

I think it depends on your circumstances. There isn't always your own feelings to consider. Some people may long to go back, but because they want to keep their family together, hang on to the notion they will go back one day if things [h=1][/h]change. I was fortunate I didn't have that problem and returned as I knew within 3 years it wasn't the place for me or my family and my other half agreed.

I think if you can get the occasional feeling that you might not want to be there forever, but if most of the time you are content with the country, well stay put. I think it becomes problem when it becomes a daily thing about wanting to go back, but then you hang on to the idea that things will miraculously change somehow and and you will be back where you want to be at some point in time, then it needs to be sorted. It will lead to resentment and bigger issues down the line if not.

Guest Guest16631

........more than plan to stay..........I think it's what would make you leave......

........for me about 8 years ago it was health issues...........I had never been really ill........

........and it was more about the familiarity of a system than the place.......

........I knew how the NHS worked........had worked in it.....

........here I felt unsure........frightened almost and wanted to return to what I knew......

........now I am confident with the system..........and it's become a way of life......

..........I do think that we can never say for sure .....What would persuade us to change our direction in our journeys....

...........and I have tried to make sure that my life is full here......

..........things I did in the past........if not available here I have found alternatives....

..........you cannot replicate a life from your past IMO.....

........it's a new journey and should be accepted as thus....

.........even if I returned to a past country.........

.........it would be a new journey.......time moves on......

.........an uncle in his 80's returned to the uk last year...... After living here since his 20's....

.........he is coming back.......because it was not as he remembered it...!

..........we can only move forward.........

..........and to grasp each day and enjoy it for all it gives us...

..........is the best way to make the most of where ever we are ...

..........who knows I may leave Australia .........who knows why....

...........but it would be a move forward.......not back.....

​...........a new journey.......with a few familiarities perhaps.....

I think when you have a day when your feeling a bit low, all you want is the familiarity of "back home" but then the next day you can bouce back.

everyone different but for me I've been thinking that if I ever and hopefully never get seriously ill I just can't imagine going thru it here.

you read about people being home stick before you come and you just don't think it will happen to you, but it does.

on the whole I love it here, but if those odd dark days ever turn into a frequent longing to return then I would.

i agree....but deep down are you really happy? Could you be as happy back in the UK?...most people can make a happy life in either country...Australia has more sun but does it tick all the boxes?

I amn't in Aus yet but I really don't know the answer to this question. I have the intention of going over and making a really good go of it for a few years and trying really hard to get on in Australia. When I was there last I absolutely fell in love with ye place.

... Having said all of that, I still have this long term vision of me in Ireland. I've always ha it, it never goes away and I get awful sad if I don't visit often. (I'm in the UK right now, so a quick hop over the Irish sea is easy.) the fact I miss Ireland so much when Im only an hour or 2 away by plane right now, makes me wonder if a long term move to Aus might not work out. I don't see that as a bad thing, I just want some adventure, to live in a new place, learn some new things and work in another country, if when all of that ha been done, the Ireland sickness is still as strong as it is right now, I will go back, but who knows.

From what I've seen of your posts, I think you will def "make a proper go of it" but at the end of the day if Oz is not working for YOU, then of course move on to somewhere that is, doesn't even have to be back to the UK

Indeed you're right, i think i am a little bit of a nomad at heart...i'm sure i'll know if it;s right for me and if not...next! ;)

Guest Guest26012

Yes, we plan to stay. Our hearts are here in oz now. Uk will always be in my heart as we had a good life there but we came here with the intention to stay and that's our plan.