190 Visa - Two year requirement

Hello everybody,

Please clear my doubts.

I plan to activate my 190 visa by the end of the year, but I have some doubts in case I am not able to stay in Australia after the first arrival.

My question is:

What is going to happen if I activate the 190 visa (spend couple of weeks in Australia and leave) and come back to Australia in 2016, for example? This is legal from DIAC point of view (visa is valid 5 years), but is this legal from the government point of view (two year "living in the government/sponsor territory" requirement)? What are my options?

Thank you very much for you kind answers!

Petar

Hi,

its legal to move at a later time within the 5 years as long as you have activated yr visa in time. I just activated mine and will first move in a couple of years. My case officer said that is fine and many do that so no worries

From the state point of view, I reckon it's OK as the requirement is that you spend at least two years living in the said state.

For 190, is it necessary to spend "firtst" 2 years in the state? Appreciate if anyone could reply...

As per the State Sponsorship agreement, you need to live and work in the state that has nominated you for the "first two years". Now if you validated your visa in another state, the 2 year commitment kicks in when you actually move to the state, and register your arrival with them (at least that's how it works in WA).

• 5 weeks later...
As per the State Sponsorship agreement, you need to live and work in the state that has nominated you for the "first two years". Now if you validated your visa in another state, the 2 year commitment kicks in when you actually move to the state, and register your arrival with them (at least that's how it works in WA).

OK. But first two years starting from when?

Example- visa 190:

Visa period 01.01.2014-01.01.2019. (I can travel in and out as much as I want but work/live only in sponsored state for minimum two years in total; after this period I can work and live in any other state).

Hypothetically, if I am allowed to move to Australia within 5 years (until my visa expires), can I come the day before the expiry date and then start my two year state requirement? (Or it is started from the date of visa activation?). Any help?

Thanks.

Read the agreement that you have signed with the state. Ours for WA states first 2 years after visa is granted. You are worrying yourself over nothing, there is no condition on the visa to make you stay in state. And no it will not affect RRV or citizenship.

OK, here it says: If this application is granted, my dependents and I intend to live in the state for at least two years. I understand that this two year commitment commences from the time that my sponsored visa is granted if I am already living in state; or upon my arrival in the state if I am currently living overseas.

What if: I spend only 3 weeks upon my first arrival to the state (validation trip) and then come back after 3 years (my visa will still be valid)? Am I breaching the agreement?

Thank you!

Archived