Laptops!

NottstoOz

I will hopefully be working for the most of my WHV, so ideally, I would like to bring my laptop out with me. To be blunt, is that a stupid idea? I've never traveled with any (expensive!) electronics on a plane before and I'm extremely hesitant about packing it into my main luggage.

:-)

If its expensive and you'd be devastated to lose it then perhaps go with a cheapo net book instead. If you think that by the end of your trip you might be replacing it anyway then take it along. You might have to specify it in your travel insurance.

​We've done both hand luggage and hold luggage over the years. You've got more control over hand luggage but its such a faff to take it out, open it up, put it back at each transit stop.

I always travel with either a laptop or net book in hand luggage, I don't find it a faff at all. I wouldn't consider going without it,anymore than some would travel without a book. I'd actually be more concerned about it going missing in a backpackers hostel if that where you're staying. But for the flight, easy as.

I personally also find it complete faff totally not looking forward to juggling 2 laptops 1 netbook & iPad and 2 kids through several security checks but to be fair if didnt have kids would not be such a chore

I can see how that would be a faff! Of course I'm just talking about little me and a laptop, plus kindle through airport security...

Guest GeorgeD

Who are you flying with? Emirates require you to take laptops as hand luggage. They're not allowed in hold luggage. They are also part of your 7Kg hand luggage allowance!

Take it if you will use it. If it's just for web browsing/facebook/email buy a cheap tablet that you don't mind breaking or losing. If the laptop wasn't expensive, then don't worry about it (as long as you will use it!)

It can be handy if you are applying for jobs online, or even on paper...you can buy a little printer once you get here or use printers at shopping centres.

I would only ever take a laptop / notebook or iPad in hand luggage, I have seen how they chuck our luggage around and things can easily get damaged, laptops are if I am not mistaken quite delicate things with lots of little working bits .. if it was me I wouldn't risk it in my checked in baggage ....

​Sorry I misread the OP, got distracted ..... yes I would take it, or as George said buy a cheap notebook or tablet, you will use it .... I am pretty sure ....

It will be extremely useful out here. As the others have said great to bring it or bring a cheaper option if it's an option. We travelled through security with 4 kids aged 11 - 16 and looked like a gadget shop by the time we'd all emptied out our laptops, tablets, ipods, phones etc. It should be fine in your hand luggage or in the middle of your hold luggage if you use a hard case AND the airline allows it.

Archived