Primary teaching in Sydney - options?

Nat100

Hi,

I'm about to move to Sydney as a de facto partner of my OH's visa.

I am a qualified teacher in the UK with 2 years experience at 1 school.

I'm just wondering what my options are with teaching in Sydney.

Should I:

A. Try and find a job before I go out there?

B. Find any old job to begin with and then look to go into teaching for the new academic year in January?

C. Casual teaching?

D. Casual teaching until the new term in January?

E. Scrap teaching and do something else?

Also, the process to get recognised as a teacher in Australia seems extremely complicated. Can anyone please offer advise on how to get through this minefield?

Thanks,

Nat :)

Firstly, does your teaching qualification include four years of university study? To teach anywhere in Australia, at either a government or private school, you will need four years of tertiary study.

You will also need to register with the teaching registration board in the state that you wish to teach. You will need to have your qualifications assessed before they will register you. This takes a while and can be expensive. NSW are particularly stringent on the units studied in a degree.

There is a surplus of teachers in Australia and Sydney is obviously a prime area to teach in. If you are a maths teacher then you will be more in demand.Relief teaching is the most likely option to begin with.

Your first step is to get registered.Look at their website and start collecting all your transcripts and other required documentation.

Firstly, does your teaching qualification include four years of university study? To teach anywhere in Australia, at either a government or private school, you will need four years of tertiary study.

You will also need to register with the teaching registration board in the state that you wish to teach. You will need to have your qualifications assessed before they will register you. This takes a while and can be expensive. NSW are particularly stringent on the units studied in a degree.

I have a degree in psychology, philosophy and religious studies and then a PGCE in primary teaching so 4 years overall.

You say it can be expensive to get registered, what costs am I likely to incur?

Scrap teaching and branch into something else. Do you have an honours in Psych? If so you could look at training to be a school counsellor (Ed Psych) then you have the best of both worlds - however, if you are on a temp visa (457?) then you will be lucky to get anything and should probably just take anything that comes along (studying will be too expensive on that visa). Don't give up your job if you have a permanent one in UK whatever you do - take a career break!

NSW is one of those states that give points for rural and remote experience and all the best positions will go to permanent teachers and those with rural and remote points.

Edited by Quoll