Anyone applied to TRA In the last month or so??

Wenstu

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not doing a practicle test.TRA are the autority who assess my chosen occupation on the CSOL ,once you post and pay the autority you should of recieved a letter to confirm this with your TRA/ref number, this can then be put on the portal website which will then show the start/recieved date of your assessment.:biggrin:

got a letter today, unsuccessful...gutted! the online portal is still showing 'awaiting assessment' so was a shock to get the letter in post this morning...:embarrassed:

Edited by nikkiwd
spelling error

my husband's 2 years at college (nvq level 2) for being a chef is apparently not comparable to the required AQF for chef, its only comparable for a cook. He has been a chef for 15 years since qualifying!

Also a couple of points on the self-employment part:- my accountants letter wasn't certified(?), they asked for supplier letters and copies of quotes and invoices, all of which I sent! and finally a copy of our business reg. cert,( we don't have one) so I did a stat dec.

Cook is also on the skills list so will ring tonight and ask about transferring to that instead, be gutted if we have to put a whole new application in!

Guest guest71715

Tra came back sucessful today. Fantastic news when my agent emailed me this morning. Now for the EOI.

my husband's 2 years at college (nvq level 2) for being a chef is apparently not comparable to the required AQF for chef, its only comparable for a cook. He has been a chef for 15 years since qualifying!

Also a couple of points on the self-employment part:- my accountants letter wasn't certified(?), they asked for supplier letters and copies of quotes and invoices, all of which I sent! and finally a copy of our business reg. cert,( we don't have one) so I did a stat dec.

Cook is also on the skills list so will ring tonight and ask about transferring to that instead, be gutted if we have to put a whole new application in!

Sorry to hear that, hopefully you can progress under Cook, you have all the info so hopefully they take everything into account. Keep me posted.

Hi nikkiwd, I applied to TRA to have my skills assessed as a chef on 27th Feb, I have 14 years experience plus AQF III,

I got an email from TRA on 5th May stating that the best fit policy (either you fit the role of cook or chef) has been abolished, and

which occupation would I like to be assessed as, I have chosen cook, despite more then double the years experience for a cook,

I have gathered that it is unlikely to get a positive result as a chef without at least a HND (level 4) qualification.

Ask TRA whether it is worth appealing under this newly taken away best fit policy?

hi minch23, thanks for your reply. nvq level 2 is enough to be a chef in uk so always assumed it would be same in oz. i dont know any chef who has done HND at college! My husband waited til 1am the other day to ring and ask some questions and the girl didnt have a clue and just said to send an email, which we then did, but it takes a week to get a reply!

never heard of the best fit policy, where can i get more info on this?

do you think if we re-applied under cook we could use the evidence we already have saying my husband has been working as a chef as they are similar occupations or would he need evidence specifying he was a cook?

it was nice of TRA to ask you what you wanted to be assessed under, our application was received by them on 18th march and unsuccessful letter was dated 24th april.

keep me posted on how you get on, hopefully wont be much longer for you

Edited by nikkiwd
more

I haven't changed a single thing on my application after changing my occupation. I am aware that the TRA do not like you to call yourself a chef until you have worked for 6 years after qualifying, until that point you should call yourself a cook.

I was not aware of the best fit policy either until they got in contact the other day. I tried to look on their website about the changes,

but couldn't see anything.

If your husband would really like to strengthen his case, he could get in contact with a RTO (registered training organisation)in Australia to get Australian qualified.

Apart from the calling yourself a cook/chef in the appropriate years, it sounds like your husband is more then qualified to be a cook.

Thought I would just add on this for you guys.

I applied to TRA on 5th march and received positive skills assessment by post on 4th may.

I didnt even know about the portal for TRA, which is a good job as I would of checked it a least 10 times a day haha.

are you in the uk minch23? did you use an RTO or did you study in Australia?

yes he has 15 years experience post qualification, easily enough for a cook in that case, but his job titles were always chef jobs so hope his employer letters still work for being assessed as a cook.

how did yo find out about the TRA requirements for who is classed as chef/cook? sorry for all the questions, you are being very helpful:biggrin:

Yes, I am in the UK. I went out to Australia to do AQF III with an RTO in Melbourne last year, I was there to do a practical

assessment, it only took an hour and was only asked to cook 4 different dishes, I also had to do a Australian recognised first aid course which is part of getting the AQF III, that was a day course, the rest of it was paperwork which was literally the same as doing a NVQ 3, which I did in my time back in the UK and posted it back to them. You can be assessed purely on paper I believe, so you don't have to travel all the way to oz to do 1 hour of cooking, and some will assess you in your work place if you can set up Skype. Its worth looking around as there are plenty of RTO's out there. I did my RPL over there as my sister had her 4th baby the day I flew in and I wanted the excuse to go and see her!

When I as looking to do the RPL I spoke to a very helpful woman from Tafe in Bunbury who explained all about the cook vs chef situation, you are not classed as a chef until you have 6 years of experience and hold a senior position in a kitchen, that is why using terms such as commis chef mean nothing to TRA, they don't class that as a chef. Which is some terms is good, as I am sure your husband will know, there is a lot of crap out there that class themselves as chefs after just a few months in a kitchen.

Hoping to get my result very soon, starting to get worried!

i suppose its just we use the word chef too loosely here... i am a pastry chef so i know you get some crap people using everything from brakes and calling themselves chefs! i hope you hear soon, are you registered with the online portal(although we received the letter before the portal had the result) i think most people see the result there first.

the AQF process doesnt sound too bad, although going to oz isnt an option! we will hopefully get the answers from TRA soon and see whether that is nessesary.

where are you looking to move to in oz?

Well, no result today, I am really disappointed, what are they doing with my application??????????

Yes I am registered with the online portal, but like today, I get so frustrated with it constantly saying awaiting assessment!

We are looking to move to WA, but not Perth, it's an ok city, but just not for us, we are looking for a slower, quieter pace in life.

How about you, where are you looking to move to?