Telstra

Redrover

So been in Oz/melbourne for 10 days. Secured our rental over the weekend. Trying to set everything up. Phoned up telstra to organise phone/Internet/TV - they wouldn't accept my application. No credit history. Said I could take a minimum phone line for 6 months and they'd review at that stage. I even offered to go for a basic deal or pay the full 2 year contract up front. Wouldn't accept. are things like this normally this painful?

Telstra are a pain in the backside, when we first moved in to our rental last november we went to them to ask about internet as Optus couldn't offer us anything, they told us that they cannot offer us anything either but couldn't give us an actual reason and suggested that our only option would be a dongle. We bought a dongle and left it at that however a couple of months ago we decided that a dongle was just too expensive and chewed through the internet far too quickly so we decided to do some research and found that we could get the net through dodo, iinet, tpg etc. but only their "offnet' plans so it meant a trip back to Telstra to ask them to connect our phone line. We didn't expect much but Telstra said they would happily connect our phone-line and also could potentially offer us internet, when we asked why we were told in november that they couldn't offer us anything they couldn't answer that question. Needless to say we've only used them to connect our phoneline and have gone elsewhere for our internet services.

Unfortunately we had no choice but to use Telstra as no others covered this area when we moved here,, i have lost count of the hours spent on the phone trying to sort out their mistakes but have learnt if you by pass the middle man ,albeit thats a challenge on its own,lol,, and speak to the 'top dogs' you normally get what you want and a bonus besides. Their recent cock up was with hubbys new mobile, after numerous hours on the phone they agreed they were wrong, appologised and waivered the cost of his Iphone5...

A thread on here a long time ago titled something like ''Telstra are Aliens'' is an hilarious read if you can find it..

​ Cal x

We arrive in Perth in 3 weeks are were planning on using Telstra for everything as we need the coverage (husband working FIFO). You have me worried, anyone got advice on how we can use them for mobiles, land-line, internet and possibly tv too?? We thought we might get a better deal bundling them all together. My husband has had a bank account in Oz for the past 2 years which does show various transactions on it but no loans to have a credit history..........

My husband and I moved here in November. No credit history in oz and when we moved into our first rental we went with optus. They were terrible and I changed to telstra after one week of optus. I have had no issues at all with telstra and we use them for our home phone, internet and mobile phones. We signed up with them online and were accepted straight away (we have bank accounts here but no loans, credit cards etc). Maybe try sign up to telstra online instead of over the phone.

WOW, so many contrasting stories. We will certainly try it your way and fingers crossed it really is that easy. Transferring our driving license's is one of the first things on the to do list so we will certainly have that for ID. Thanks for the info.

I work for Telstra and I won't tell you its all a bed of roses. But Telstra is more than aware of its customer service issues and is working hard to resolve them. In terms of Telstra's products and services I believe they are second to none and I was an advocate before I was an employee!! In the meantime, I'm happy to try and help if anyone's really struggling with a Telstra head-banger :)

Yeah. It seems to depend who you talk to in the dreaded call centre.

Our first rental was only a six month lease in a furnished house (more aimed at students than families but it let us wait for our shipment and also buy furniture and appliances at leisure--and waiting for sales) yet one phone call to Telstra had our phone switched on the day we moved in and broadband a couple of days after we ordered it.

Other people have had the same experience as the OP and had huge problems.

After our initial contract was up we moved to Optus because of poor customer service at Telstra--a $3000 mobile phone bill that should have been $60 was hard to take, especially when their attituded was "well, pay it and try to sort it out later". Optus aren't that much better but we managed to blag a manager's number and tend to bypass the call centre for most things.

Been in Melbourne for 3 months and walked into a shop to organise Internet/landline and foxtel and didn't have a problem. However when we first arrived we walked into the shop to get a mobile contract and they refused and could only give us a very poor sounding pay as you go. Our contract is 2 years but there was a 12month option

We arrive in Perth in 3 weeks are were planning on using Telstra for everything as we need the coverage (husband working FIFO). You have me worried, anyone got advice on how we can use them for mobiles, land-line, internet and possibly tv too?? We thought we might get a better deal bundling them all together. My husband has had a bank account in Oz for the past 2 years which does show various transactions on it but no loans to have a credit history..........

Iinet offer everything except TV (you need foxtel) and they are very good. When we spoke to a lady at the Vodafone shop about mobiles and said we were considering going with Telestra she whispered that we shouldn't as in Perth they take weeks to connect you. She told us to go with iinet and both landline and broadband were connected within 5 days of the order going in. So far they have been excellent.

WOW, so many contrasting stories. We will certainly try it your way and fingers crossed it really is that easy. Transferring our driving license's is one of the first things on the to do list so we will certainly have that for ID. Thanks for the info.

You need your medicare card first as that is required as ID in order to get your driving licence (along with evidence of a permanent address and bank statements etc). They will not accept the paper slip you are given as a temporary card, it has to be your permanent one. My husband's came through in 3 weeks but mine took 6 weeks to come through.

OK

Not really relevant to your thread OP but sorry I have to post and ask because I'm getting an absolute headache...

We use Telstra for our landline and have their BigPond internet service too. It's fine. Nothing wrong with that. We also use Foxtel. Had many problems with Optus and we moved and Optus don't service the area we moved to, only Telstra does.

We keep getting phone calls to our landline from these people in Melbourne claiming they can offer us a flat rate on all our Telstra landline services. Now, they claim to be a subsidiary of Telstra. Which is fine. It's OK for someone to offer us a service once and be turned away if we didn't hear from them again.

BUT NO. THAT doesn't happen... Our package isn't eligible for that change. The people who call are really, really infuriatingly annoying beyond belief. I do not have a company name and they are always really persistent. They'll call multiple times during the week. If nobody answers the phone they'll call back every half hour until someone does, which obviously makes us think what if there is an emergency or a problem with a family member or something? I say that because we don't really give out our land line number to anyone as we all have mobiles so we have no real use for it. We just got it for the Bigpond service!

Anyway. As I said. They're really annoying. With their $59.95 flat rate service offer. And they won't go away. Despite talking to 4 of us and being told every single time we don't want the service they still insist on calling again a few days the following week...

What can we do?! :arghh:

Especially as they claim to be related to Telstra...

The callers are always really argumentative. Honestly, the things I want to say about them, the people who make the calls honestly are such robots and are clearly stupid as they just draw assumptions from anything that you say like "you don't want to save money" because you don't want to take their offer... WE CAN'T.

My wit's end, is where I am at. :skeptical:

we have telstra broadband and mobile phones...no real issues

i think the problem is you go into the stores and the service is good, but as soon as you talk to customer service is terrible

we have to go with telstra as out in the sticks

we had no problems getting any form of credit in australia and weve been here 6 months

OK

Not really relevant to your thread OP but sorry I have to post and ask because I'm getting an absolute headache...

We use Telstra for our landline and have their BigPond internet service too. It's fine. Nothing wrong with that. We also use Foxtel. Had many problems with Optus and we moved and Optus don't service the area we moved to, only Telstra does.

We keep getting phone calls to our landline from these people in Melbourne claiming they can offer us a flat rate on all our Telstra landline services. Now, they claim to be a subsidiary of Telstra. Which is fine. It's OK for someone to offer us a service once and be turned away if we didn't hear from them again.

BUT NO. THAT doesn't happen... Our package isn't eligible for that change. The people who call are really, really infuriatingly annoying beyond belief. I do not have a company name and they are always really persistent. They'll call multiple times during the week. If nobody answers the phone they'll call back every half hour until someone does, which obviously makes us think what if there is an emergency or a problem with a family member or something? I say that because we don't really give out our land line number to anyone as we all have mobiles so we have no real use for it. We just got it for the Bigpond service!

Anyway. As I said. They're really annoying. With their $59.95 flat rate service offer. And they won't go away. Despite talking to 4 of us and being told every single time we don't want the service they still insist on calling again a few days the following week...

What can we do?! :arghh:

Especially as they claim to be related to Telstra...

The callers are always really argumentative. Honestly, the things I want to say about them, the people who make the calls honestly are such robots and are clearly stupid as they just draw assumptions from anything that you say like "you don't want to save money" because you don't want to take their offer... WE CAN'T.

My wit's end, is where I am at. :skeptical:

Very simple. Register with the Do Not Call Register so it should reduce these annoying calls....but it doesn't. We keep getting them but I find it more effective to blow a whistle as hard as you can down the phone. Its certainly satisfying and they soon get the message.

The only thing to do over here from what I have read online is to fight fire with fire.

Tell them to F off or whatever takes you fancy.

Couple of other tricks are to buy a answer machine and screen your calls, hit the # key at the start of a call and state you are tracing the call and as previously mentioned buy a whistle.

Archived