What currency if any will i need in Dubai Airport?

Benvo

Hi there,

me and a friend fly on 25th and we have a 1hr 55 stopover in Dubai Airport, a read of the other recent post answered a few of my questions. We are changing planes, or from i can make out from my info (different plane number and different version of plane, 777-330 on way there and 777-300er on way to perth). So will be looking for next gate, then prob looking at food, duty free etc... Assuming enough time.

But my main question is what currency will we need when get there, i have googled but some of the answers are dated etc... Will we be ok with some AUD, or will we better of with some gbp? Or do we need to look at a small amount of the Dirhams?

If gbp is ok, is a normal visa debit card going to be alright or better off with cash? and i ask that as everytime i spend on visa debit and its taken in a different currency i get charged for it. Or will they actually charge in gdp, meaning no charges.

Many Thanks

Benvo

So will be looking for next gate, then prob looking at food, duty free etc...

Please be aware that last time I was travelling back to Australia (Jan 2013), you were not allowed to take large bottles of liquid onto the plane, even if bought at the duty free. They did checks at the gate to enforce this.

Large (>100ml) bottles can be bought in duty free at Dubai airport, but are then collected at a special counter and then packed in the hold. They are available for collection at the oversize baggage point in Sydney (and presumably at other airports).

Last couple of times I was there - last time December any duty free liquid I purchased I had to take to the special counter to be packaged up and then was given it back to carry as hand luggage

I flew through Dubai today, and it looks like they have changed the policy and shopping now goes in the hold.

Large (>100ml) bottles can be bought in duty free at Dubai airport, but are then collected at a special counter and then packed in the hold. They are available for collection at the oversize baggage point in Sydney (and presumably at other airports).

This sounds like an irritating but tolerable compromise. In Bangkok they refuse to sell liquid duty free if you have an Australian flight.

Yeh liquids are boxed and sealed then you have to hand over at the gate. Used my card at duty free and was told could pay in gbp via card but they still charged be in local currency and had to pay a £1.25 foreign currency fee.

Thanks

​Benvo

Archived