Excess Baggage - a warning and help!

dig23

Hi guys,

Just a quick question...My hubbie and I are flying to Perth in about 3 weeks time and I've just had a bit of a panic about excess baggage! We're flying with Emirates who will not allow us to check in another suitcase without charging us£35 per extra kilo!! Whaaat!!!!

So anyway, I've been doing some research as we just want to send a couple of boxes with extra clothes, towels, shoes, bed sheets etc and a few courier companies came up with pretty good quotes. Inter-parcel I think have popped up on here a few times so I phoned them and they have said that it is prohibited to send personal effects to Australia and that I will probably find that with most couriers!!

Has anyone else done this and have any tips for sending excess baggage??

I've now spoken to a few others who definitely will send these sort of things but just wanted to let others know if this is what you were planning!

Thanks!

Further to my first post, we had a few bits shipped over, can't for the life of me remember the name of the company, it was over 9 years ago. One thing is be wary of the Australian Customs. They will check your stuff and are a bit handy with the stanley knife. My wife shipped her PA equipment over, speakers, mixing desk etc. When customs opened the box with the mixing desk in it they slashed right through to the vinyl and ruined the case. They also wanted to charge her and arm and a leg to fumigate some riding equipment, she told them to bin it, as it would be cheaper to buy new!

I have been getting quotes for excess baggage and so far I have found them to be very expensive.

I would consider personal effects to be clothes. I have said to the people who have quoted thus far that I want to take clothes, shoes and bags. All of them have said OK and just warned me not to take liquids or food.

I shipped a couple of boxes and 3 bikes (boxed) with a freight forwarder. I had to deliver them to the office at Hearhrow airport and collect from an office at Perth airport and clear customs myself but from what I remember (4 years ago) it cost under £200. If you can live without a door to door service then google freight forwarders at your nearest airport.

We did exactly the same but the DAY before we flew when hubby decided to weigh everything and realised we were way over our allocation. Singapore Air charge a fortune for extra kilos too so we had a family member arrange for Crown Relo (who we had used for shipping a few weeks earlier) to send the left over things in a shared container, i think there was 7 boxes in total. (serves me right for stuffing those cases until they were nearly bursting,lol.

Cal x

We had a bit of an issue at the airport (but thought we would tbh anyway) and ended up sending it with Excess Baggage at the terminal, airport to airport where we then picked it up a week later. Very reasonable cost (sorry, it was 14 months ago, and can't really remember how much it was, but I think they have rates on the website?), nothing damaged, the only issue was the backwards and forwards system at the airport to get all the paperwork cleared - it you opt for the delivered to an address in oz service that would cut that out though (and it was only a bit of a pain because we had no idea what to do and you have to go back and forwards from one building to another back to the first, back to the second and so on a couple of times).

So if in a pickle at check in, we can recommend using that service (I imagine a pre-booked one might be cheaper, but to be honest it really wasn't very much - in the region $200 for a few bags of stuff - it would have been well over $1000 with the airline.....)

Try a courier company online. We have used http://www.wedelivertheworld.com and http://www.transglobal.co.uk in the past. The both are agents for DHL, UPS etc. etc.

We recently sent two boxes 50cm x 50cm x 50cm weighing 25kg each (total 50kg) from UK to Sydney for £180. Happy with the service. Could recommend them.

Play around with the online quotes because companies like this charge on volumetric weight. So, for example, if I had sent two 50x50x50 boxes that only weight 10kg each the quote would've been the same.

​hope this helps.

We shipped some stuff over as unaccompanied baggage with Singapore Airlines - personal items such as books, ornaments, electronic goods (three large suitcases weighing 75kg in total). Don't remember the cost but I know it was half what I'd been quoted by shipping agents and was a much faster service (shipping agents were going to take the stuff by boat).

Had to drop the items myself at the airport cargo terminal, fill in the relevant forms. Then when they arrive in Oz I had to go pick them up from the cargo terminal and fill out more forms for customs. It took me about 2 hours to retrieve the gear as I had put some paintings on papyrus in one of the cases, which resulted in me paying a visit (and about $100) to the quarantine section so they could have a look at them. They let me keep them though but had I took them with me as hand luggage and declared them when I came in they'd have inspected them for free (as they did with a large carved wooden elephant I brought over in a backpack). So just be careful if you ship anything that's plant or wood based!

I did exactly the same!! sent an extra large suitcase weighing 36 kilos full of clothes, shoes, bags, electrical items like hairdrier and tongs, paperwork and all kinds that we couldnt fit into our cases and within the weight limit with Transglobal and it was £101 door to door and took 4 days!!

Archived