8 Weeks in Sydney and loving it!

Bridgetjonhannahdaniel

Having enjoyed reading other people's experiences I decided that I should do an arrival report.

just a bit of background. We (husband Jon, me and a6 year old and 3 year old) are here for 1 year. Husband has taken a career break and is working in Westmead hospital and I gave up my job in the uk. Our house in Yorkshire is rented out and all our furniture in the u k in storage. We travelled to oz with just 4 suitcases.

we did loads of research (mainly on PIO) before coming out and Jon's new boss recommended good schools in the area close to the hospital so we were able to limit our searches for houses to the catchments for these schools. Also Jon came on a visit to sydney in nov 2012 and confirmed that these areas were suitable.

The most helpful thing that happened was my post PIO in January where I asked if anyone was moving back to the uk and had furniture to sell. I was PM'd by a lady whose was moving back and had a houseful to sell - beds,sofas, pots, pans - even pegs and an ironing board! This was fantastic - we agreed a price and to meet up when we arrived. We are so glad we were able to do this as it saved hours of shopping!

so here goes....

Arrived 20/02 in the morning from Manchester, via Heathrow and Singapore. We went straight to the serviced apartment in Randwick which Jon's employer had booked. We were there by 9am and at 2pm we had an appointment at NAB to activate the bank accounts. The money via moneycorp arrived soon after. W planned our arrival so that we got there at the beginning of week so that dull stuff like this could get sorted. Doing all the paperwork in advance meant that we could pick up our cash cards and order debit cards straight away. Having 2 jet lagged kids in tow we wanted to be as quick as possible. We then went to a shopping mall and bought 2 pay as you go sims to get our mobiles working. I don't think we got the best deal but now we are settled we can change provider packages etc... We got our phones unlocked in the uk and I would recommend doing this before travelling.

Wednesday 21/2 we collected a hire car from Bayswater car rental (cheap but rubbish service and rude staff) and made appointments to see 6 properties in the beecroft / cheltenham/ carlingford area the next day. We also found time to go to the beach at Cogee and get a parking ticket!

Thursday 22/2 we went out to the area which we were going to live in. Of the 6 properties we saw - I would have been happy in 5 of them. The impression we got from the agents was that if we got our application in they wouldn't have the hassle of an open house at the weekend. Again if I was doing this again I would try to see places mid week and avoid an open house. I don't think the property market is as competitive in this part of sydney as more central area. So at the end of the day we chose a lovely house in Beecroft. We had got everything ready in the uk photos of our house, copies of visas, Jon's job offer letter and I got my ex boss to email the agent with a reference that evening. So within 3 days we had a house! The next thing to do was arrange moving the furniture and buying a car.

Saturday 23/2 on our way to visit my cousin in Frenchs Forest we called in at the Subaru dealership to have a quick look. We ended up test driving a second hand Honda CRV which we bought. The staff there were so helpful - plying the children with babychinos and helping us to fit the car seats when we collected the car a few days later. Couldn't recommend them highly enough.

The next few days were a bit of a blur. Jon started work and I took the kids on various outings - the playground at Darling Harbour being our favourite! We also went to look at our daughters school. i was 'blown away' by the facilities and resources - we really had landed in an excellent area.

ON The Thursday 27th we moved into our house. It's not the smartest place and I think it might be a bit cold in winter but we wanted to make sure we had spare money for weekends away and I am not working anyway.

Our daughter started school the Monday after ( 2 weeks after arriving) and I managed to get our son a place a preschool a few days later. Both have settled incredibly well, we are so pleased with the school.

So a month or so on we are all feeling very settled, loving it and hatching a plan to stay on! The area that we live in is lovely. It might not be close to the beach or in a trendy suburb but the people are so friendly and welcoming. I have met loads of other mums to chat too in the playground parks etc... And have been overwhelmed by their genuine helpfulness and friendliness. I never turn an invite and most days have something planned after dropping my daughter a school.

My advice to people coming over is research, research and then do some more. We knew we wanted a house and to get the kids in their normal routine asa soon as possible so we made decisions quickly - eg. The house and the car. That said I think the fact that we were thinking 1 year made that easier. Also being able to get the furniture and furnishings in a job lot made life easier. That said nothing can prepare you for the number of decisions you have to make in a short space of time. I remember clearly being in Target trying to buy a dustpan and brush and not feeling that I couldn't face making 1 more decision.

in terms of the exchange rate and money - it does feel like it is fłowing out of your hands like water those first few days and weeks. It is expensive here but salaries for us are higher. In the end I decided to make ups my own exchange rate :)!

There are not many posts about the carlingford/ pennant hills/ beecroft area - so if anyone. Wants any info please getting touch.

So all in all 8 weeks in we are having a fab time, feeling very settled, and have a good circle of friends.

bridget

Ps - the shops here have fab names ..... The dentist called Custom Smiles, restaurant Thai-tastic and Thai-rific but best of all the local tennis shop called 'the merchant of tennis' love it!

Great post loads of info, sounds like everything working out brilliant for you's & friends so soon too, very good, hope everything carries on goin as good as it has been for you's, hope everything goes as good for us when the time come for us to emigrate to Oz

Arrgghhh it really grates on me that Bridget put all that effort into a decent post and a gets a comment about her grammar... WTF.... The sorry doesn't wash.

It was the OP who made the comment!

Fab post Bridget and greta to read positive experiences as I often find this site negative. Best of luck in your journey x

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to hear you've settled in so quickly and well! It's great to hear from people that are enjoying the move. We're going to be looking at rentals in the next few weeks, also out of central a bit but south rather than north, so we're hoping it also won't be too competitive. We have our rental pack all ready though!