Cost of Asthma & Eczema Creams in Austalia

richdownunder

You have to pay for all medication irrespective of it being an adult or child. Some chemists have their own branded meds which are cheaper. I'm not 100% sure but think someone said you can buy ventolin over the counter. My son had a really bad chest infection and needed a steroid inhaler which cost me over $30

My daughter was using her inhaler every night in the UK for her breathing and we had to rub cream on after her bath. Since coming here haven't used a thing! Hopefully you'll experience an improvement too?

I stocked up on some extra inhalers before we came here - just told doc we were moving and got a couple more. Didn't bother with the cream as we had loads anyway.

Prescriptions here are not cheap, Ventolin has just been reduced in price by the Prescription Body that regulates prices here (by a dollar or so) but it's well known that Australians pay well over the odds for medicines compared to other countries. When you register for Medicare make sure you register for the safety net scheme, this helps out if you use the doctors a lot. Also be aware if you need to sign up for ambulance cover (some states are free) that pre-existing conditions exclude you for free cover for three months (ish) can't remember exact number of days. If taking private health again check out cover for pre-existing conditions. It can cost several hundred dollars if you need an ambulance without cover.

Personally I would stock up and bring some over with you. I managed to accumulate about a years worth of Ventolin and 6 months of preventer, also loads of Cetrizine and Loratadine!

Ventolin is also the most expensive brand. We use Asmol which is slightly cheaper ;)

Is it Ventolin that has been reduced in price or all Salbutamol products out of interest? I couldn't find it at all on the PBS changes document. Hmmm.

Archived