Will this be OK?

gra001

Hi, I'm divorced, retired, my daughter is an Oz citizen and I would like to migrate. I fail the balance of family test as I have three children and only one resides in Oz. However, over the past three years I have had a long distance relationship with a girlfriend (Oz Citizen) spending all of my time with her whilst in Oz, 3 weeks, four weeks and now six weeks. A friend has suggested the 309/100 family visa but it looks a bit of a long shot to me as it would be very difficult to demonstrate a defacto relationship given she is in Oz and I reside in the UK. Advice very welcome...thanks.

I thought that might be the case, my daughter actually introduced me to the lady in question as she is a long standing friend. The reason I asked is that I recall a thread on here some time ago where a guy from the UK had known his Oz girlfriend for 6 months and the concensus was that he may well get a visa to stay, I can't however remember what visa. As for marriage??....it's surprising how many people have suggested that route but not sure I am ready to do it again!!!!

You can not pass as a de facto. The definition of which is man and wife in all but legal ceremony. How about though marrying?
How can you demonstrate defacto if the only time spent in Oz is via a tourist visa?

You need to provide evidence that the relationship is ongoing and exclusive. First step is to stop referring to her as your "girlfriend" as that suggests that you are just dating. Whereas if you refer to her as your "partner" it assumes that it is something more serious.

Have a look on the DIAC website and go through "Booklet 1" to see if you think you could provide (or start collating) the evidence required for the visa.

Guest guest76088

I suggest you refer to her as your "chick" or even better: "your main squeeze". That will make DIAC realise you're serious. Just don't refer to her as your "significant other" as they may confuse your partner with your bank manager.

BigD

You need to provide evidence that the relationship is ongoing and exclusive. First step is to stop referring to her as your "girlfriend" as that suggests that you are just dating. Whereas if you refer to her as your "partner" it assumes that it is something more serious.

Have a look on the DIAC website and go through "Booklet 1" to see if you think you could provide (or start collating) the evidence required for the visa.

How can you demonstrate defacto if the only time spent in Oz is via a tourist visa?

You cannot demonstrate it because you are not it, you have no chance of a partner visa at the moment. You need to pop the question, then you could go for prospective marriage visa but you will need to marry within 9 months.

I hate the world partner sounds like a business transaction I referred to my girlfriend as my girlfriend in our defacto application didnt do any harm

for the OP though I would say u cant be in a defacto relationship so wouldn't be able to get that visa

maybe prospective marriage one .

Archived