Study Nursing in Australia or UK

LittleRebecca

It was something to do with not being able to work. I was studying something totally different, so not sure, but it was in the news not long after that there were loads of student nurses here in sa and not enough places for them to go to when they finished. I think there is a work component to the studying which there weren't enough places for? If you have a google for sa you might be able to find an old news article.

I would do it in the UK the AUstralian Nursing Qualification is not recognised in that many places. Whereas the UK one is. For example, an Australian nurse can't necessarily work in the UK. With my UK nursing qualification I have worked in UK, NZ and AUstralia. Also, UK trained nurses are quite sought after.

The ANF is aware that new nursing graduates are not being offered jobs. In Tasmania, only 30% of nurse graduates have been employed, in Queensland only 10%, 50% in South Australia and 800 nurse graduates are without employment in Victoria.

Hmmmm. I wonder why UK Nurses are sought after? Any evidence? Maybe I should think about the UK and going to the Middle East away from Melb weather :)

Sorry the word I was looking for is transferable, the UK nursing qualification is more transferable to different countries. Many people believe UK nurses are trained better. TBH, I know lots of people might not be happy with this statement, but where I worked in Oz, the nursing students were given no responsibility at all, basically they were qualifying having never done anything by themselves, and I include tasks such as simple washing and dressing, because they weren't allowed. I am not saying they are lesser nurses because they certainly are not, but they spent hardly any time on placement, compared to UK nurses, were always supernumery and like I said were never given any opportunity to take some responsibility. It is much more academia based than it is experience.

Ok. I started the Masters in Nursing Science and we were going to do 800 hours in placement over the two years I think. There was a lot of science - we had to know a lot about the body. I have messaged new graduates in England (Facebook friends) and they managed the course, so I am hoping I can.

Obviously you would know better than I what it is like.

I hope I get accepted to a course in the UK :)

You know, when I trained 10 years ago, I worked out I did about 900 hours every year of placement (more in the final year) and I have just realised I sound like one of those old nurses because, EVEN THEN, all the older nurses used to say " you lot spend far too much time at University and not enough time on the wards" :eek: jeezo, I have become my worst nightmare. In a way though, I did feel in Oz that some of the students were desperate to be let loose and get in the thick of it.

You know, when I trained 10 years ago, I worked out I did about 900 hours every year of placement (more in the final year) and I have just realised I sound like one of those old nurses because, EVEN THEN, all the older nurses used to say " you lot spend far too much time at University and not enough time on the wards" :eek: jeezo, I have become my worst nightmare. In a way though, I did feel in Oz that some of the students were desperate to be let loose and get in the thick of it.

Ok. I am not exactly sure what exactly nurses do in Aus V UK but they were trying to teach us the Science behind how medications work and how the injury/illness effects the body... is that the same in your opinion?

Thanks for the replies.

I'm sure that a nurse trained in Aus would be able to have their skills recognised by the NMC to gain registration.

The student nurses I worked with in QLD were not able to register in the UK once qualified. Even with post reg experience. The reason is (or was as it may have changed) that to be a nurse in the UK you require a certain amount of practice placement hours as a student.

I would say if you`ve spent 3.5 years in Australia and you`re sure that`s where you want to live than study in Australia. It will most probably NOT help you with gaining a visa, however you are on every state`s skilled list and can apply for your own. Who knows, you MIGHT get someone to sponsor you even as a new grad on 457 ( lots of uncertainty with this one). During your clinicals you`ll have a chance to meet people who will potentially hire you ( I got offered a job after my clinical placement, even before graduation). As new grad unemployment goes, I don`t know how the situation is in the UK but it`s not great in the US and I imagine is pretty much the same everywhere, plenty of demand for experienced nurses, zero for new grads:confused:.

I`ve worked with australian nurses in the Middle East and they certainly knew what they`re doing. Their education isn`t any worse than other first world countries` IMO

The student nurses I worked with in QLD were not able to register in the UK once qualified. Even with post reg experience. The reason is (or was as it may have changed) that to be a nurse in the UK you require a certain amount of practice placement hours as a student.

Can they gain registration once they`ve worked for a while ( let`s say 2 years) in Australia? Or not even then? Might make a massive difference to OP if she wasn`t able to come back to UK as a nurse.

Archived