Syd's TV license saga.

Sydney

Been back just over a year now and all's still good. Last week I received the renewal reminder for my tv license, £145. That's close to £300 since I arrived for the govt's permission to watch the telly. And I noticed in the small print that the govt. reserve the right to revoke my license at any time.

Anyway, instead of renewing it online as the missus wanted to do, I thought I'd enquire if I could pay it while I was in the bank. The teller said if I had the giro slip it was no problem but as I didn't have it I couldn't renew it with them. I then headed up to the post office with some mail to post and found out from the teller at the PO that they no longer accepted payment for tv licensing. In fact the only place I could pay it was in an obscure little corner shop located on the road out of town. This is a town with a population of around 20,000 people mind you. Anyway still refusing to listen to Mrs Syd and pay the thing on line I found the shop and presented the renewal slip and the exotic looking lady behind the counter snatched it out of my hand while talking on her phone and put her hand out for the 145 quid. I gave her a credit card and she said she could only accept cash. I then gave her a cash debit card and again she refused to take it, and told me I'd have to go back to the bank for the money and come back again. I told her to forget it and I'd pay it online. She refused to give me the renewal slip back and said she had already put it through and to go and get the money. Having had enough of all this, not to mention having to tell the missus she was right and should have paid it online I decided to go to the pub a bit earlier than usual for my pre dinner pint and ponder this unexpected situation. Later on that night around 8.30 after tea and a couple of vinos the door bell went and Mrs Syd answered it. She said rather straight faced it's for you, the man of the house. Standing in the snow was this huge Pakistani chap looking for £145.50 payment for my tv license.

Really enjoying the UK, but the unexpected "third world element" of how things are done that pops up now and again is perplexing. The wife can handle the bills from now on... Syd.

Really enjoying the UK, but the unexpected "third world element" of how things are done that pops up now and again is perplexing.

What an odd story. Three racist references and a set of events that looks almost as though you had gone out of your way to ensure you would have difficulty paying for your licence - presumably so you'd have a story to tell.

What an odd story. Three racist references and a set of events that looks almost as though you had gone out of your way to ensure you would have difficulty paying for your licence - presumably so you'd have a story to tell.

Nothing racist in this mate. My reference to third world has nothing to do with race, more old fashioned methods of how things are done in the UK. As for going out of my way to be difficult, you must be joking surely.

I used to slag the British TV license off something rotton. Having lived in Australia for a while now I can totally see the point in about 50 % of it. TV here is utter sh ite

Really enjoying the UK, but the unexpected "third world element" of how things are done that pops up now and again is perplexing.

......and you've moved fom Australia?......the land where most things have a "third world element" to them:laugh:

what an odd story. They shouldn't have kept hold of your papers though. that's just wrong. and coming to your door wtf! I don't agree with the uk being old fashioned though, if anything it's far from old fashioned hence the option to pay online and not in the shop. Should have just done it online.

Guest chris955

We have found things like this to be very easy here, we paid our license with ease last year, you seem to have made the whole thing much harder than it is ;)

We have found things like this to be very easy here, we paid our license with ease last year, you seem to have made the whole thing much harder than it is ;)

Agreed. We (well me as I sort these things out) used to pay pur TV license by direct debit. Didn't have to do a thing for years once it was set up.

Nothing racist in this mate. My reference to third world has nothing to do with race, more old fashioned methods of how things are done in the UK. As for going out of my way to be difficult, you must be joking surely.

Yeah, right. And there was the exotic and the Pakistani. But nothing racist.

Incidentally, you can pay for your TV licence with weekly, monthly or quarterly direct debits in addition to paying the full whack. You can pay at any bank provided you have the slip - just like in Australia. If you must, you can go to a PayPoint - designed for people who don't have computers and bank accounts - and pay with cash or Maestro. The details are all on the website and the reminder form.

Guest chris955

Yeah but can I pay it at the local butchers ? You make it sound so easy :)

Incidentally, you can pay for your TV licence with weekly, monthly or quarterly direct debits in addition to paying the full whack. You can pay at any bank provided you have the slip - just like in Australia. If you must, you can go to a PayPoint - designed for people who don't have computers and bank accounts - and pay with cash or Maestro. The details are all on the website and the reminder form.

Archived