How much money needed to start our Aussie life?

Guest Quwa

Hey Guys,

Looking for a bit of advice. My partner and i are planning our move to OZ but have hardly any collateral behind us. We rent a house so no money from the sale of that to take with us, we have two cars which we will probably get around £12k for but that really is it as all savings are going on paying for our Visa.

Im am just trying to find out how much would people who have made it to Aus advise to have in the bank on arrival? We are lookin to rent not buy and all going to plan my partner will be sponsored so start work fairly quickly.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Quwa x:nah:

Financial advizors aways recommend that you should have about three months' income available at call wherever you are for any emergencies.

Why not make that a benchmark then add on more for things like rental bond, purchase of furniture, a car????

So long as you have your Aussie bank accounts set up that should do it?

Cheers Maryrose really appreciate it. Thats give us a target which is what we really need right now - everythings not quite sorted so having a definate benchmark makes it a little less pie in the skyish!

Thanks

Hi Sarah

I too was going to suggest to bring at least 3 months income until you get sorted and work out what's what. Bring as much of your stuff as you can so you don't have to go out buying furniture right away (which eats into your income). We got a second hand car for $10,000 and will look to change it this year, but it's done what we wanted ie.. to get me to work, shopping and days out.

Ali

Guest paulwbafc

Hi

I fully understand your concerns. We sold our house and with the falling house prices in the current market we only had enough to clear outstanding mortgage, pay off debts, cover visa, flights and a few weeks to check out oz one last time before moving august. We will have around 15k to set up with. Will be renting for first year then once established get a mortgage. I intend to go first, stop with a friend until i get a job, find a rental house then my wife and kids shall move out and join me. It's a big move and we both have fears about everything. We hope it will work out and all we can do is give it our best.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tracey Adams

Hi

My husband hopes to get a visa through the skilled worker program and the family will move possibly to queensland, we do not have much money behind us but have been told that 3 months living expenses plus bond for rental should be sufficient. If you are going out under a skilled workers visa you should have no problem with finding some work even if it is not in your preffered area at first.

Have either of you applied for the expo in March in London, it puts you in touch with Australian employers and can give you a better understanding of living and working in Australia, freinds of ours found the last one very benificial.

Guest The Greens
Hey Guys,

Looking for a bit of advice. My partner and i are planning our move to OZ but have hardly any collateral behind us. We rent a house so no money from the sale of that to take with us, we have two cars which we will probably get around £12k for but that really is it as all savings are going on paying for our Visa.

Im am just trying to find out how much would people who have made it to Aus advise to have in the bank on arrival? We are lookin to rent not buy and all going to plan my partner will be sponsored so start work fairly quickly.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Quwa x:nah:

Hi Quwa hope your well,

You sound as though you have a great spirit and desire to get there so good luck. In answer to your question it's the old saying How long's a piece of string? You need a lot lot more money than 2 years ago, but only a lot more money than last year. Confused. What I mean is it's getting more expensive each year.

But if you have work lined up almost upon arrival, and you have £12,000 you should be fine. If your renting in UK, that's easy to replace with a rental in Oz. I tend to think the people who lose out the most nowadays are those who have more to take or give up in the UK, because of the exchange rate and property situation. When you say you only have £12,000 remember its yours, you have worked hard for that, you didn't win it on the lotto or a horse, so look after it, try and exchange it as best as possible, in small pieces perhaps.

I think you will be fine. All the best of luck,

EMMY:jiggy:

Hi all

Great thread this as everyone is worried about the money side of things. 3 months income is a good basis I think .Does anyone know how easy or difficlut it is to get a mortgage in your early 40s in Oz?

Mandy x

thanks for all the advice guys! Really appreciate it, you have eased one of my many headaches!!

Wishing everyone success with all their Aussie dreams x

Archived