Husbands contract cancelled Grrrrr

Special Kay

A major IT company bought us out here on a 457 4 year visa with an initial 2 year contract, well someone high up decided the project wasnt right and cancelled it. We have only been here 5 months.

He has been desperately looking for other work but nothing coming up so looks like we are heading home. Just furnished our house and brought a car too.

A major IT company bought us out here on a 457 4 year visa with an initial 2 year contract, well someone high up decided the project wasnt right and cancelled it. We have only been here 5 months.

He has been desperately looking for other work but nothing coming up so looks like we are heading home. Just furnished our house and brought a car too.

Sorry to hear that. Don't give up yet, hopefully something will turn up.

Sorry to hear that, but that is the risk on a 457, it is why I am not a massive fan of it. The company is obliged to pay your fares home, but hopefully it won't come to that.

So sorry to here that, I was talking to a friend this week, also in IT would has been here nearly two years on a 457 and is at risk on redundency, she is weeks away from PR but if she is made redundent before it's processed that will disappear.

We came over on a 457 and didn't really take on board how tenuous your stay in Australia is. What does your OH do exactly? I mainly know people in Perth but so have some links in Melbourne.

thanks guys, trying every avenue right now. Thanks for the link scotexpat, hubby is looking right now. He mainly works in Tivoli and AIX admin Jules2409. We will move where the work is.

Try the Job board here: http://whirlpool.net.au/

I am developing writer's cramp trying to warn those who hold (or are applying for) 457 visas not to rely entirely on advice from employers, or agents acting for employers, but to take independent advice at an early stage about strategies to avoid the sort of pickle you seem to be in.

All the best with whatever you decide to do.

Archived