Where does everyone live in Sydney? Which suburb? Dave the sad anorak wants to know!

MARYROSE02

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Work related the reason for the move , I work as a project manager for a building company so after 2 years travelling to killara, Roseville and palm beach ,got fed up with Sydney traffic and the wife got a new job based inTurramurra.

I hate commuting. My present job is at Penrith but the journey is tolerable as long as I get the Blue Mts train, which does the trip from Central in about 50 minutes. I drive occasionally, but it is not a pleasant trip, at least on Parramatta Road.

Mona Vale to Turrumurra is not a bad trip, mostly just Mona Vale Road?

Hi MaryRose

I was in Lindfield for about 3 years.

Now in Greenwich, but I think of it as St Leonards/Crows Nest..they all seem to meld together

Lindfield is nice but I just wish they had more scheduled buses going there. Here in St Leonards my travel needs are met..heaps of buses and the train station close by. I'm working in North Sydney at the moment so when I feel up to it I walk..yeah right, I never walk!!!

Footy team..Manchester United but only cos of genetics..I don't actually follow football.

Edited by BrownEyedGal
spelling

When my parents came out here, they would stay for a few weeks with my brother and his family at Picnic Point, but they were happier staying with me, partly because it was just SO convenient, with buses by the door, and the station and shops a few minutes walk.

I just went for a little walk, got my hair cut - Hassan did another nice job with the cut-throat!, had a coffee in Devons cafe, an OJ in the Royal Exhibition Hotel, and a walk round Prince Alfred Park, all within five minutes walk of my home. My car has been in my garage for the last two weeks.

St Leonards is a good hub, with both station and plenty of buses. I used to work there in 1980/81, 1A Chandos St, long demolished. I was living in Cammeray then so could walk to work.

My brother has a family of four and all four have cars and they would never live where I live!

Where will you stay in Kirribilli? It's a good location. You can walk to the city (over the Bridge) if you don't fancy the train.

Staying in a large family room in big old Glenferrie lodge near this ferry stop so we can cruise to our cruise :)

Glenferrrie-Lodge-hotel.jpg

glenferrie-lodge.jpg

Jeffrey St ferry wharf by night - Picture of Kirribilli, North Sydney

Source: TripAdvisor

Edited by fish.01

I Googled Glenferrie Lodge and it sounds nice. When I first came to Sydney, there were private hotels all over the lower north shore. I lived at The Royal Private Hotel, 9 Hayes St, Neutral Bay, for year. I used to walk to Kirribilli on Sundays when the ferry did not run from Neutral Bay. Most of the hotels are gone now. I think I paid $45 per week including breakfast and evening meal.

I am still in the UK, but I am planning to live in Surry Hills. From what I read, it's a nice place with a village sort of feel and walk distance to CBD.

My company's office is in North Sydney, but I am a consultant - will be visiting clients. Most of them are in the CBD.

If not Surry Hills, I will end up somewhere in the Lower North Shore as I have friends who tell me the region is great too.

But I guess Surry Hills will fit my profile better (young single professional)

I am still in the UK, but I am planning to live in Surry Hills. From what I read, it's a nice place with a village sort of feel and walk distance to CBD.

My company's office is in North Sydney, but I am a consultant - will be visiting clients. Most of them are in the CBD.

If not Surry Hills, I will end up somewhere in the Lower North Shore as I have friends who tell me the region is great too.

But I guess Surry Hills will fit my profile better (young single professional)

I think Surry Hills would be perfect for you, although I am biased. The train to North Sydney is four stops from Central - Town Hall, Wynyard, Milsons Pt, North Sydney, and if most of your clients will be in the CBD, well, two or three stops on the train (three to Circular Quay) either via Town Hall and Wynyard, or St James and Museum. There's a stop at Martin Place on the Eastern Subs line too. Plenty of buses down Chalmers/Elizabeth St too, or even walk. And of course all the attractions of Surry Hills are within easy walking distance.

I think Surry Hills would be perfect for you, although I am biased. The train to North Sydney is four stops from Central - Town Hall, Wynyard, Milsons Pt, North Sydney, and if most of your clients will be in the CBD, well, two or three stops on the train (three to Circular Quay) either via Town Hall and Wynyard, or St James and Museum. There's a stop at Martin Place on the Eastern Subs line too. Plenty of buses down Chalmers/Elizabeth St too, or even walk. And of course all the attractions of Surry Hills are within easy walking distance.

Can't hardly wait to arrive :-)

Just a bit concerned with the heat, but I should be able to survive. Thanks for the tips :)

Hello poms peeps, I and my wife were recently granted a PR VISA but we have not visited Aussie before so I will be making a quick stop over in Sydney for 1 month. since in have no Aussie travelling experience is there anybody in this forum that can flatshare with just me. Am 25 medical Radiographer. want to be sure Sydney is for me. thanks please will love to have a lovely stay there.

• 4 weeks later...
I know Revesby very well, as my brother and his family have been in 2213 - Picnic Point - for the past twenty four years, and I've grown to like the area myself. I have always had him on my spreadsheet, but never included it here. I like to stop at a deli/cafe in that strip where Gloria Jeans is, for a sandwich and coffee. I used to get the train over to East Hills, and my brother or his wife would pick me up outside the pub, usually with his kids strapped in the back in their kiddie seats. I drive over now, though.

Have you joined any of the clubs? Revesby Workers and/or Panania Diggers. The Diggers is family friendly. I used to be a member of both, but just keep my Revesby Workers one now. RWC is more like a cruise ship or a hotel, too big for me, in a way. My brother's wife goes to the gym at Panania Diggers.

They have a nice home, and there is a bus service, but you still need a car. It's a good half an hour walk to any of the stations, which is OK when you are coming home, and maybe need the exercise, but just adds to the commute. It's the only thing I don't like about the area!

The strip of shops by Gloria Jeans has some great wee food places. We looked in Picnic Point for places as well - just ended up on the Revesby side. Its nice and quiet out this way which suits us and we're able to afford a much nicer place to live than closer in to the centre. We'll head out to party but having lived in London we don't mind grabbing the train or driving and we value being able to relax in peace and quiet the rest of the time. Our place is a bit of a walk to the station but I tend to cycle which doesn't take long at all. There are secure bike lockers at the station so I rent one of those.

We've never been down to the workers club but I've heard its quite good so I'm sure we'll make it down one day!

It does not cost much to join, and they give you a ten dollar voucher on your birthday. It's worth going to the club (or Panania Diggers for that matter) for the meat raffles and the lucky membership no draws. I don't know whether you will like it or not. RWC is HUGE! It's like going into a hotel or on a cruise ship. A young bloke working in there told me that the club has bought up some of the surrounding homes, ready for its next round of expansion.

Hello poms peeps, I and my wife were recently granted a PR VISA but we have not visited Aussie before so I will be making a quick stop over in Sydney for 1 month. since in have no Aussie travelling experience is there anybody in this forum that can flatshare with just me. Am 25 medical Radiographer. want to be sure Sydney is for me. thanks please will love to have a lovely stay there.

Maybe look on 'Gumtree' or just stay in a hostel?

What attracted you to that area? Will you be working there?

I'll be working in the CBD but with plenty of opportunity to work from home.

I'm just looking for somewhere quiet, green, with a bit of space, and a reasonable commute. I spent some time recently around Dee Why and drove about a wee bit. Thought these 'burbs looked nice and are in budget. I have places lined up at schools in these areas for my son ...

No other particular reason than that to be honest. I just want a quiet life :)

Maybe further north from Dee Why if commuting,is not an issue? Narrabeen my old stamping ground Mona Vale Newport Avalon I like the last but,wd not like commuting to CBD and definitely not Penrith where I work and almost arrived at. Sydney is surprisingly green looking,out,of,train even a bit of bush here. Close to railway station shops work is what I look for despite 50 min train trip to work not bad actually.

Maybe further north from Dee Why if commuting,is not an issue? Narrabeen my old stamping ground Mona Vale Newport Avalon I like the last but,wd not like commuting to CBD and definitely not Penrith where I work and almost arrived at. Sydney is surprisingly green looking,out,of,train even a bit of bush here. Close to railway station shops work is what I look for despite 50 min train trip to work not bad actually.

When we arrive we are staying in Elanora Heights for a month so I'll get a sense then for what the commute will be like from there. I'm not bothered at all about living in the city - that's exactly what I'm trying to get away from, in fact. But I will need to go to the office at times and <1h commute door to door is preferable. Otherwise, I just want a modest house with nice neighbours and places to run! :)