Things you wish you knew before you took the IELTS test....

Red Rose

I don't know about other visas but definitely worth doing if you are applying for a 189/190 visa as you can get up to 1/3 of your points allowance (I believe) just from getting a band 8 in the IELTS.

As a British person, you will automatically qualify as band 6 in IELTS but you don't get any points for that. You will get 10 points for band 7 which is competent English.

What does confuse me slightly is whether you need a minimum of all 8's, for sake of argument, to get an overall score of 8 or whether you can have some fluctuations in your scores, i.e. 7.5, 9, 9, 9......to get an 8

You get 20 points for getting minimum all 8's and 10 points for minimum all 7's. You do need ALL sections to be 7's for 10 pts and 8's for 20 pts. Although there will be an overall band score on your certificate, which is an average, the Australian immigration do not recognise this, only the individual section scores.

Did OK thanks, considering English is not my best subject. Got 8.5 overall, 8.5 in Listening which I thought I would fail at because the Wife is always telling me I don't listen to her! 9.0 in Reading which I found easy as you have plenty of time to check work. 8.0 in Writing, I thought I had finished the first letter but then found there was another page, so had to do a PS and 9.0 in Speaking, which again found easy due to the topic, speak about something you have recently been trained in and give the advantages. Just joined the gym and had a personal trainer, so I used that.

Hey guys how did you all get on with the IELTS?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i lost out on 0.5 for reading test on academic ielts , is the reading the same in general test or easier? to be honest i found the reading articles they had in my test so very dull and boring so i dont think that helped

how did others with 8 and above scores , prepare / revise the reading part ? any tips pretty please ?? :)

Hi, my hubby just did IELTS in Dec (Academic) and he scored above an 8 (see signature) From what I can gather, general IELTS is the same as Academic when it comes to listening and speaking, it's only the writing and reading parts which differ. The texts in the general test as I understand it are easier to digest when it comes to Reading. All he did to practice was download the free practice papers off the IELTS website, and then sit and actually do them. Half a point literally means you probably got maybe one question too many wrong - so you were actually really close to the 8. I wouldn't worry about the General reading part when you re do, you will find it easier than Academic. Good luck.

Hi, my hubby just did IELTS in Dec (Academic) and he scored above an 8 (see signature) From what I can gather, general IELTS is the same as Academic when it comes to listening and speaking, it's only the writing and reading parts which differ. The texts in the general test as I understand it are easier to digest when it comes to Reading. All he did to practice was download the free practice papers off the IELTS website, and then sit and actually do them. Half a point literally means you probably got maybe one question too many wrong - so you were actually really close to the 8. I wouldn't worry about the General reading part when you re do, you will find it easier than Academic. Good luck.

thankyou so much for your reply , wow your husband got really good scores . to be honest i didnt really do much prep beforehand - just had quick read 'target band 7' book a couple of times for more the format of the test because i was working alot of night shifts , wish i had done more . want to rebook for general and get it out the way asap , so thankyou for pointing me in the right direction for some materials , :)

Archived