Things you wish you knew before you took the IELTS test....

Red Rose

Got this test tomorrow (General). Bit apprehensive.

If anyone can report potential swerve balls worth knowing about, it will be greatly appreciated.

Have been told I can only write answers in pencil for the reading and listening, but pen/pencil for the writing.

We have to write 150 words for part A of the writing and 250 for part B. I wonder how strict they are with the word limits?

Anyway, if anyone has any helpful words of advice, that will be great.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I drank loads before the test to keep hydrated because I had read that keeping hydrated will help with concentration and brain power etc. this was a bad move, despite several toilet visits in the few minutes before the exam I still got the desperate urge during, it definitely had the reverse effect as all I could think of was running out the door! That was during the listening test and I managed to get out during the writing test, which meant I only got about 220 words out of the 250 but despite all that I still got the results I wanted all 8+!

Good look for tomorrow

Wayne

Hi Mark,

I drank loads before the test to keep hydrated because I had read that keeping hydrated will help with concentration and brain power etc. this was a bad move, despite several toilet visits in the few minutes before the exam I still got the desperate urge during, it definitely had the reverse effect as all I could think of was running out the door! That was during the listening test and I managed to get out during the writing test, which meant I only got about 220 words out of the 250 but despite all that I still got the results I wanted all 8+!

Good look for tomorrow

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, that is really helpful and well done on getting the 8+.

Got this test tomorrow (General). Bit apprehensive.

If anyone can report potential swerve balls worth knowing about, it will be greatly appreciated.

Have been told I can only write answers in pencil for the reading and listening, but pen/pencil for the writing.

We have to write 150 words for part A of the writing and 250 for part B. I wonder how strict they are with the word limits?

Anyway, if anyone has any helpful words of advice, that will be great.

Cheers,

Mark

Good Luck Mark would be really good to know how you got on as my OH is taking the test in Manchester next month. where are you having the test done?

Try not to let your mind drift during the listening, there are no second chances to hear things. A few of us have done this and there is a brief moment of panic. I'm guilty of it but I just took a random guess at the one I missed (any answer is better than nothing at least there's a small chance of getting it right) and then moved onto the current question. I was under the impression that they're quite strict on the minimum word count, although the longer piece carries a lot more marks. I think in general the shorter piece tends to be along the lines of a letter and the second is an essay on a given subject. With the speaking part you will be asked to speak for 2 minutes on a subject chosen by the examiner. If you don't know much about the subject you can ask for another one apparently.

Good luck.

If you have done the practice papers, you should be fine. As people have said, maintain focus through the listening as that is the most testing part I thought. As far as the writing goes, see how you can spin your answer to fit the question on the second part as the first will be interpreting data which is pretty straight forward and try to use the best vocab you can and don't forget correct punctuation.

Don't over analyse the reading either as the answers are literal and in the text. With the speaking you will need to elaborate on answers but you must maintain a formal tone.

If you've practiced and now the format, you will be spot on.

Good luck!

Hi,

I took the IELTS twice as I needed a score of eight and above in each of the four sections to get my Skilled Visa for NSW.

My first attempt at Glasgow Uni I scored:-

Listening-9 Reading-8.5 Writing-7.5 and Talking-8.5. I missed NSW by half a mark.

So I took the test again, this time at Sheffield Uni:-

Listening-8.5 Reading-8.5 Writing-7.5 and Talking-8 (I had a dodgy nights sleep in a horrible hotel the night before). Again, missed by half a mark.

My point being, I know I focused on the writing part more on my second attempt and am certain I did a better job, but the mark was exactly the same. Coincidence maybe, but it makes me wonder if they were told to push people towards Western Australia. I have been told that the examiners are told to use their own discretion but to be particularly strict on NSW applications.

Or I'm just spouting sour grapes.

In answer to your topic. I used pencil the entire test both times which was stictly supplied by them. We couldn't use anything of our own.

For the listening part, just zone out of everything else in the room and concentrate on what is being said. I managed to read ahead a little of the CD so could sort of know what words or information to listen out for. Fairly straight forward.

The reading part was similar. All the information is in front of you and you need to read each part for the answers. I found it a bit tricky but I was clock-watching and trying to skim through the information quickly. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

Writing was the worst for me.

150 words:- I had to write a letter to a friend regarding a business venture we were about to undertake.

2nd attempt:- I had to write a letter to the landlord of Student accomodation, asking for a new room.

250 words:- Write my opinion on old buildings being renovated into flats.

2nd attempt:- Write my opinion on Schools replacing Physical Education for Science and Maths.

They suggest 20 minutes for 150 words and 40 minutes for 250 words. I found this extremely hard to stick to and am glad they supplied an eraser for all the corrections I made.

Talking was answering strange questions like "what are my friends' favourite colours?"

Don't panic and you'll be fine. Good luck.

Michael

One other thing to be wary of is the timings of things. I couldn't believe how tight it was on timing for each section. I had about 3 minutes spare at the end of the reading and nothing left at the end of the writing and didn't get to check things through although I did well.

You'll ace it bud.

Good Luck Mark would be really good to know how you got on as my OH is taking the test in Manchester next month. where are you having the test done?

Thanks Steven, I am doing it tomorrow morning at the IELTS test centre in Greenford, London. Never been to this part of London before, think its near Acton.

Thanks gbuss, Chall77 and The Peak for replying, really appreciate it and feel a bit less anxious now. Worse comes to worse, I can retake it but want to nail it tomorrow. P.s. I have no idea what my friends' favourite colours are?! Lol!! By the way The Peak, I didn't know different states had different requirements for IELTS?

For the writing be prepared to be imaginitive, some of the letters may need that, make sour you have the correct salutations etc. for the essay make notes, they are typically discuss pros and cons, so get two columns and brain storm them, they typically want examples too, don't be shy in benign imaginitive here too. Brush up on your linking phrases, search on the web if you haven't done so. Make sure it has structure too. I'm sure you will be fine.

Thanks gbuss, Chall77 and The Peak for replying, really appreciate it and feel a bit less anxious now. Worse comes to worse, I can retake it but want to nail it tomorrow. P.s. I have no idea what my friends' favourite colours are?! Lol!! By the way The Peak, I didn't know different states had different requirements for IELTS?

Yes, NSW needed 8 or above in all four areas, whereas the pass mark is 6 for other parts of Australia, depending on which visa you're applying for (I was applying for permanent residency). That was a few months before the July 2012 changes and is the only reason we're moving to Perth. My sister lives in Sydney and we wanted to be near her and my new niece.

Hope your test goes well. Get a good nights kip and you'll be fine.

How do you think it went Red Rose? Don't go fretting about waiting for the results either. The snow messed mine up last month and I had to wait 3 weeks!!! Good luck and keep us posted!

How do you think it went Red Rose? Don't go fretting about waiting for the results either. The snow messed mine up last month and I had to wait 3 weeks!!! Good luck and keep us posted!

Hi Chall77, thanks for asking.

Well the whole day started off on the wrong note. The test centre was at Greenford Campus in Greenford, London; literally a 5 minute walk from the station. The actual address is 890 Greenford Road, UB6. Anyway, because I didn’t know the area, when I came out the station, I used the sat nav on my phone, but it ended up taking me to the other side of Greenford! I am such an idiot because I kept thinking, “this can’t be right, I have been walking/running for close to 30 minutes and I have still not reached the venue”. I was following my sat nav looking for 890 Greenford Road but the number on the buildings were going doing down, 548, 546, 544 etc. Yet I defied my own logic and kept thinking my sat nav can’t be wrong. I ended up at the very edge of Greenford about 2 miles from the venue. I literally was having a panic attack running round like a headless chicken trying to find this place, cursing my phone ready to throw it on the ground and stamp on it, thinking “I have paid all this money, taken time off work and I am going to miss the fricking test!” At that point I got a bus back to the station and then walked in the opposite direct from which I had been blindly following my sat nav and eventually got to the venue at 9:10am, 1 hour 10 minutes after I had arrived at Greenford station. And it was only 5 minutes from the station. What a start! So my advice to anyone doing the test at the Greenford campus, don’t use your sat nav (I was not the only person this happened to), just turn left out the station, take the first right, walk to the end of the road, turn left and the college is about 200 meters on your left.

Anyway, the actual test was far less dramatic. It looked like I was the only English person there, there were about 50 of us in total. The listening was easy up until the last 10 or so questions. I think I may have got a few wrong towards the end. The reading test was easy. The writing I am not so sure about. The first 150 word piece was easy, but the second was writing about whether you thought the decline of international travel was a positive or negative development. Don’t think I answered the question particularly well, but demonstrated a good use of English in my answer. So not sure how they will mark that. The speaking test was fine and would be surprised if I scored less than a 9.

So, overall, I would expect to score myself:

L7.5 R9; W8; S9

So no idea what band score that would leave me with.

Results out on 28 February 2013 so fingers crossed.

Well the whole day started off on the wrong note. The test centre was at Greenford Campus in Greenford, London; literally a 5 minute walk from the station. The actual address is 890 Greenford Road, UB6. Anyway, because I didn’t know the area, when I came out the station, I used the sat nav on my phone, but it ended up taking me to the other side of Greenford! I am such an idiot because I kept thinking, “this can’t be right, I have been walking/running for close to 30 minutes and I have still not reached the venue”. I was following my sat nav looking for 890 Greenford Road but the number on the buildings were going doing down, 548, 546, 544 etc. Yet I defied my own logic and kept thinking my sat nav can’t be wrong. I ended up at the very edge of Greenford about 2 miles from the venue. I literally was having a panic attack running round like a headless chicken trying to find this place, cursing my phone ready to throw it on the ground and stamp on it, thinking “I have paid all this money, taken time off work and I am going to miss the fricking test!” At that point I got a bus back to the station and then walked in the opposite direct from which I had been blindly following my sat nav and eventually got to the venue at 9:10am, 1 hour 10 minutes after I had arrived at Greenford station. And it was only 5 minutes from the station. What a start! So my advice to anyone doing the test at the Greenford campus, don’t use your sat nav (I was not the only person this happened to), just turn left out the station, take the first right, walk to the end of the road, turn left and the college is about 200 meters on your left.

Anyway, the actual test was far less dramatic. It looked like I was the only English person there, there were about 50 of us in total. The listening was easy up until the last 10 or so questions. I think I may have got a few wrong towards the end. The reading test was easy. The writing I am not so sure about. The first 150 word piece was easy, but the second was writing about whether you thought the decline of international travel was a positive or negative development. Don’t think I answered the question particularly well, but demonstrated a good use of English in my answer. So not sure how they will mark that. The speaking test was fine and would be surprised if I scored less than a 9.

L7.5 R9; W8; S9

Best of luck for your results! I'm doing the IELTS on the 23rd but at least I have a cup final to look forward to the next day...

L7.5 R9; W8; S9

Hey up mate. Good luck with the results. I don't think anyone has an easy IELTS day but I put that down to the fact that it's one exam you really care about. Gutted about the SAT NAV and I totally understand about the listening test. That's by far the hardest bit. Keep me posted or PM me with the results. I hope the two weeks fly by for you!

Hi,

I took the IELTS twice as I needed a score of eight and above in each of the four sections to get my Skilled Visa for NSW.

Listening-9 Reading-8.5 Writing-7.5 and Talking-8.5. I missed NSW by half a mark.

Listening-8.5 Reading-8.5 Writing-7.5 and Talking-8 (I had a dodgy nights sleep in a horrible hotel the night before). Again, missed by half a mark.

My point being, I know I focused on the writing part more on my second attempt and am certain I did a better job, but the mark was exactly the same. Coincidence maybe, but it makes me wonder if they were told to push people towards Western Australia. I have been told that the examiners are told to use their own discretion but to be particularly strict on NSW applications.

Or I'm just spouting sour grapes.

In answer to your topic. I used pencil the entire test both times which was stictly supplied by them. We couldn't use anything of our own.

For the listening part, just zone out of everything else in the room and concentrate on what is being said. I managed to read ahead a little of the CD so could sort of know what words or information to listen out for. Fairly straight forward.

The reading part was similar. All the information is in front of you and you need to read each part for the answers. I found it a bit tricky but I was clock-watching and trying to skim through the information quickly. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

Writing was the worst for me.

150 words:- I had to write a letter to a friend regarding a business venture we were about to undertake.

2nd attempt:- I had to write a letter to the landlord of Student accomodation, asking for a new room.

250 words:- Write my opinion on old buildings being renovated into flats.

2nd attempt:- Write my opinion on Schools replacing Physical Education for Science and Maths.

They suggest 20 minutes for 150 words and 40 minutes for 250 words. I found this extremely hard to stick to and am glad they supplied an eraser for all the corrections I made.

Talking was answering strange questions like "what are my friends' favourite colours?"

Don't panic and you'll be fine. Good luck.

Michael

Confused.com ! Diferent states require dif IELTS results ?

Tx

How would an examiner know which state you are going to apply for, they know nothing about your application.
Yes, NSW needed 8 or above in all four areas, whereas the pass mark is 6 for other parts of Australia, depending on which visa you're applying for (I was applying for permanent residency). That was a few months before the July 2012 changes and is the only reason we're moving to Perth. My sister lives in Sydney and we wanted to be near her and my new niece.

Hope your test goes well. Get a good nights kip and you'll be fine.

Where have you gotten your information that NSW require 8's for skills assessment? Or do you require the 8's to get 20 points to pass the points test to be able to apply for state nomination??

Minimum Eligibility Requirements

The NSW Government may nominate a limited number of skilled migrants annually. To qualify, you must meet the minimum eligibility requirements.

You must be less than 50 years of age at time of application to DIAC

English Language

Applicants must sit the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and score at least a six (6) on each of the four bands (Writing, Speaking, Listening, Reading).

www.business.nsw.gov.au/live-and-work-in-nsw/visa-and-migration/skilled-sponsored-migration

Hi, I was there, how did you get on? I thought listening was the hardest part, think I missed a bit on the wasps and bees!

Lol! I definitely missed some about the wasps and the bees and also the market diagram. Hope I still got enough right to score an 8 though, i.e. 32/40

Still ages to wait until the results.

This whole visa process, in fact, is one long big wait, something I don't have the patience for.

So there was you, me and one other guy I spoke to trying to get out of the UK and the other 70 odd trying to get in!!

Lol! I definitely missed some about the wasps and the bees and also the market diagram. Hope I still got enough right to score an 8 though, i.e. 32/40

Still ages to wait until the results.

This whole visa process, in fact, is one long big wait, something I don't have the patience for.

Oh no I thought that British passport holders didn't need to do the IELTS? How soon before submitting our visa application can we sit them?

British passport holders don't need to sit IELTS but you score more points if you get band 7 or above. Worth doing probably.

So there was you, me and one other guy I spoke to trying to get out of the UK and the other 70 odd trying to get in!!

I don't know about other visas but definitely worth doing if you are applying for a 189/190 visa as you can get up to 1/3 of your points allowance (I believe) just from getting a band 8 in the IELTS.

As a British person, you will automatically qualify as band 6 in IELTS but you don't get any points for that. You will get 10 points for band 7 which is competent English.

What does confuse me slightly is whether you need a minimum of all 8's, for sake of argument, to get an overall score of 8 or whether you can have some fluctuations in your scores, i.e. 7.5, 9, 9, 9......to get an 8

Archived