Childhood immunization

lozzachino

Hi,

just been checking the Aus immunisation schedule v the UK one for up to 4 year olds and found this:

http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/nips2

all seems very similar except for the 18 month chicken pox one. If they don't have this in the UK will they need to have it in Australia before being accepted into an Aussie school? Or is it acceptable that it isn't done here and then we don't have to have it there?

any advice welcome please!

thanks!

This may be of interest to you.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/centrelink/family-tax-benefit-part-a-part-b/healthy-start-for-school-health-check

Some schools do prefer their kids to be up to date with their imms, obviously if you choose for your child to 'opt out' that is your choice too. You haven't said whether child/ren have had chickenpox or not. Its not so they don't catch the infection but also oso thatthey don't pass it on. Personally I'd get them up to date. My two are having their Hep B here as wasn't available when they were younger in the UK. Childhood imms are free here.

Guest littlesarah

Please do be aware that chicken pox can have very serious consequences and side-effects, which is why they are so keen for children to be immunised.

Any vacinations your children dont have done in the UK can be given here free of charge if you wish.Mine had Hep B and Chicken Pox here,,

Some Kindys and school stipulate your child must have them before starting there and sometimes Centrelink will refuse to pay your child care allowance if immunisations arent up to date and you havent signed a form 'opting out' of immunisations due to religion, beliefs etc..

The local councils around here hold regular immunisation clinics and the staff / nurses are really nice and helpful.

Cal x

Hi there

We also found that the kids hadn't had the course of the Hep B (3 jabs over several months) in the UK which are standard here. We have caught up with them here.

Regarding chickenpox - both mine have had chickenpox in the UK and the doctor's surgery noted this down in the records.

Our school didn't ask I don't remember. I am sure they would understand the situation. Have your kids had chickenpox? Up to a certain age (I think it might be around 7 but don't quote me on that), they will catch you up on the jabs. I am sure being in that process would be more than enough.

Thanks everyone. I am very pro immunization so have no issue getting them done if they are offered in Oz where they are not here. Really dont understand what people are thinking when they choose not to immunize their kids!

if they are free then thats even better. Was just worried about timescales and cost involved in getting this all sorted before my son starts in care or kindy, whichever comes first!

Thanks again.

• 3 months later...

Be aware re Hep B: Some Drs surgeries/nurses are a bit confused about when the immunisations should be given. We were given the same advice twice by two different nurses when we phoned to check. We had the first set at the end of Jan, the second set at the start of March and were told by the nurse to turn up mid-end April for the third. We duly did so and were told by the Dr that the 3rd set should be 6 months after the first dose and not three months afterwards. Just to save any wasted journeys.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that. I have spoken to the head of immunisation in our area and she advised the second one is a month after the first and the third is three months after the second,which would make it 4 months after the first. I have since booked my son in at the local medical centre so will see what they say. Thanks for the heads up.