From Seattle to Sydney- April 15th

Seattle Scott

Hello to everyone!

I have been perusing previous posts and everyone seems to have a good piece of advice for all questions, so I figured I'd try those who have been there before.

I am leaving corporate American mid-April and heading down for a major holiday. Starting in Sydney and heading north to follow the sun. What I would like to ask is what to hit on the way (cities mainly as I am sure I can figure out which sites when I get to the city). And what is the best method of travel to get there?

Also open for any travel buddies at any point along the way.

Thanks all.

Welcome to PIO

Once you are in Australia and staying in hostels it is often best speaking to the people there what they did and what was best.

There are not much citys north of Sydney, your main one would be Brisbane, then Cairns.

On the east cost main places to visit, Newcastle (if you like wine tasting) Byron Bay, Nimbin, Surfers, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Harvey Bay, Fraser Island, Noosa, Airlie Beach, Whitsundays, Townsville, Cairns, Then North of Cairns, Port Douglas, Cape Tribulation. The underlined ones are the main ones you should go to.

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I will stop and check each of those cities out?

An additional question, would you recommend paying for travel as I go, getting a pass, or shelling out some money and getting a car/caravan? If you have a vehicle are there places to park it along the way?

A vehicle will be expensive in the beginning, but you'll be able to sell it after and re-coup basically what you outlaid, have a look on gumtree.com.au for a rough estimate of prices. Places to park will be cheaper than a hostel/hotel too. So that's something to think about.

i think getting a campervan is the best way to go if you have the money. Your way of eating, sleeping, and travelling! And staying in vanparks are a lot cheaper than hostels. If you have a car and stay in a hostel you will have to pay for parking. We did it for 2 weeks, got very expensive. So either a campervan or no vehicle at all would be best. If you don't go with the campervan i'd try to get a bus pass from companies like greyhound. I second what snifter said with regards to areas to go to! The sunshine coast is also very nice too.

Join the YHA before you leave. It may be cheaper to buy passes for Greyhound or train overseas - I don't know. You may make contact with travel buddies via the hostels, club together to buy a car/van. There are hostels everywhere and well-established routes but it might be more exciting/interesting to head off the main tourist routes - travel the inland route from Sydney to Cairns for instance, staying away from the coast.

i think getting a campervan is the best way to go if you have the money. Your way of eating, sleeping, and travelling! And staying in vanparks are a lot cheaper than hostels. If you have a car and stay in a hostel you will have to pay for parking. We did it for 2 weeks, got very expensive. So either a campervan or no vehicle at all would be best. If you don't go with the campervan i'd try to get a bus pass from companies like greyhound. I second what snifter said with regards to areas to go to! The sunshine coast is also very nice too.

Hey Im not Snifer!!LOL

As for mode of transport, depends if you are going to be on your own.

Greyhound does hop on hop off passes (as well as a few other backpacker companies), and when you hop off some hostels are waiting with mini buses.

It is really easy - dont make too much plans and just take it how it comes, see who you meet.

Im sure that there was some tour trip that left from Sydney and for a week they stopped a different beaches up to Byron Bay(?) learning to Surf.

• 1 month later...

Hey Scott - leaving on tax day, eh? I'm an American too, been here in Sydney since the beginning of Feb. Not sure, unfortunately, how much longer I'm going to be able to stay here since I'm having a hard time finding any work. But if by chance I manage to get a short term job in the next couple of weeks, I'll be around on the 15th of April.

Hey Scott - leaving on tax day, eh? I'm an American too, been here in Sydney since the beginning of Feb. Not sure, unfortunately, how much longer I'm going to be able to stay here since I'm having a hard time finding any work. But if by chance I manage to get a short term job in the next couple of weeks, I'll be around on the 15th of April.

Have you done your 'RSA' (Responsible Service of Alcohol)? If you are able to do bar work, there always seem to be American and Canadians working in the pubs around me in Surry Hills.

Arriving on tax day :) Already have those taken care of!! My general plan was to stay for about a week and then start heading north, hitting the stops along the way. Then find a city to settle in and work for a bit, but its all subject to change.

How difficult is it to get the certification to work in bars? I have bar tending experience and would love to take up that kind of job.

@Mary - no, I don't have an RSA. Not super eager to get one since I don't know how much longer I'll be staying in this state.

@Scott - from what I hear the RSA (which allows you to work with alcohol - something you usually need for both bartending and waiter/banquet work) is pretty easy to get, but you have to pay about $160 and take a short class. And you have to do the same separately for whichever state your in - one RSA won't carry over to a different state.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived