Partner Skills

stevegallagher

I'm looking for some advice on partner skills - does anybody know if in order to get the additional 5 points would my partner need to get a full skills assessment from VETASSESS (her occupation as an Environmental Health Officer is on the SOL) or is there a different process with her not being the main applicant?

Thanks.

I'm looking for some advice on partner skills - does anybody know if in order to get the additional 5 points would my partner need to get a full skills assessment from VETASSESS (her occupation as an Environmental Health Officer is on the SOL) or is there a different process with her not being the main applicant?

Thanks.

No its the same process of skill assessment like the main applicant.

but both main applicant and partner must have the skill occupation on the same SOL. not like that main applicant occupation 'A' is on SOL-1 and partner occupation is under CSOL.

Partner points claim:

"You must provide evidence that your partner meets the requirements. This evidence must be:

documents that prove your partner is 50 years of age or younger

documents that prove your partner has at least competent English

a positive skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for your partner’s nominated occupation (your partner’s nominated occupation must be on the same Skilled Occupation List as your nominated occupation)."

Thanks....:biggrin:

but both main applicant and partner must have the skill occupation on the same SOL. not like that main applicant occupation 'A' is on SOL-1 and partner occupation is under CSOL.

Partner points claim:

"You must provide evidence that your partner meets the requirements. This evidence must be:

a positive skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for your partner’s nominated occupation (your partner’s nominated occupation must be on the same Skilled Occupation List as your nominated occupation)."

Hi I'm just waiting for my assessment so that we to can claim the 5 points for partner skills, & i was just wondering does this mean i to have to do an IELTS test?...Just i have read different things like " if you hold a uk passport this wil do to prove competent English ?" can anybody clarify this please!

Many Thanks

Tracey

She would need to get a skills assessment. It is a lot of bother to get two skills assessments organised, most people do not choose to pursue these points unless they have to. How many points do you have without it and what else have you included?

Thanks for the reply. That's what we were thinking we would have 75 points without these 5 points providing I get 8's or above across the board on the IELTS.

Hi I'm just waiting for my assessment so that we to can claim the 5 points for partner skills, & i was just wondering does this mean i to have to do an IELTS test?...Just i have read different things like " if you hold a uk passport this wil do to prove competent English ?" can anybody clarify this please!

Many Thanks

Tracey

Hi, I know for us we did not need to bother because in order to get the skills assessment for my partner a passport would suffice. I am doing the IELTS not just for the extra points but also because I can't get my skills assessed without one so I guess it depends on the assessment body.

I’m now confused: are partners obliged to be skills assessed, I was under the impression if you want the extra 5 point then you do but I don’t think the partner is obligated in order to be included?? can someone clarity this as we are in the early stages of getting the OH job assseed

Partner points claim:

I was unsure about this, too. My husband's a teacher, and so am I. Hubby's the main applicant (can't be me, as I only work part time), so I will be the 'partner skills' part of the points system (we need the points, due to age). Hubby's doing IELTS next week, but do I need to do it too? I was just going to get my skill assessment from AITSL, and use my degree and PGCE to get the 5 points......

Anyone out there know, or been there and done that? :)

I think what people are saying above is that a partner does have to get a skills assessment which is also what VETASSESS confirmed when I emailed them:

"Your partner will have to get her skills assessed to be able to apply for a points test advice.

She cannot apply for a points test advice if her skills are not assessed by an assessing authority."

From my research though although proof of English skills are required this does not have to be in the form of an IELTS test as a British passport is allowable. This info is on the Immi.gov.au site somewhere (not being lazy but I'm currently on the phone!).

hi steve,

if u have shortage of 5 points then go through all the process for partnet points(i.e. Ielts,skill assessment. . .etc)

otherwise u dont need if u can achieve score of more than 60 (threshold). . .but as a secondary applicant she only need to have functional english and diac will ask prove of that. . .

I think what people are saying above is that a partner does have to get a skills assessment which is also what VETASSESS confirmed when I emailed them:

"Your partner will have to get her skills assessed to be able to apply for a points test advice.

She cannot apply for a points test advice if her skills are not assessed by an assessing authority."

From my research though although proof of English skills are required this does not have to be in the form of an IELTS test as a British passport is allowable. This info is on the Immi.gov.au site somewhere (not being lazy but I'm currently on the phone!).

hi Steve,

you said above that "Your partner will have to get her skills assessed to be able to apply for a points test advice. Have I missed something here APPLY FOR A POINTS TEST ADVICE? What is this? I thought once you have the positive assessment you can just automatically claim the 5 points? We are doing this on our own so any advice would be great as I'd hate to claim these points & find I need something else to go with the assessment....

Kind regards

Tracey

hi Steve,

you said above that "Your partner will have to get her skills assessed to be able to apply for a points test advice. Have I missed something here APPLY FOR A POINTS TEST ADVICE? What is this? I thought once you have the positive assessment you can just automatically claim the 5 points? We are doing this on our own so any advice would be great as I'd hate to claim these points & find I need something else to go with the assessment....

Kind regards

Tracey

I don't believe there is any such thing as a "points test advice". Wouldn't worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

In the old system (before July 2012), I found that for Partner Skills it said

• a positive skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for their nominated occupation (nominated occupation is to be on the same version of the SOL as the main applicant)
  • evidence of age to confirm that they are under 50 years of age
  • evidence of competent English language level
  • evidence of one of the following:
    • that they meet the Australian study requirement in the last six months before applying
    • that they have been employed in a skilled occupation for a period totalling at least 12 months in the last 24 months before applying

whereas now in the new visa 190 rules, it says for Partner Skills

You must provide evidence that your partner meets the requirements. This evidence must be:

• documents that prove your partner is 50 years of age or younger
  • documents that prove your partner has at least competent English
  • a positive skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for your partner’s nominated occupation (your partner’s nominated occupation must be on the same Skilled Occupation List as your nominated occupation).

Can anyone confirm that you don't have to prove the last bit of the blue section anymore (i.e. that they have been employed in a skilled occupation for a period totalling at least 12 months in the last 24 months before applying), as I need the 5 Partner Skill points, but am a Supply Teacher, and don't work full time........

Thanks.

Hi all,

In the old system (before July 2012), I found that for Partner Skills it said

• a positive skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for their nominated occupation (nominated occupation is to be on the same version of the SOL as the main applicant)

• evidence of age to confirm that they are under 50 years of age

• evidence of competent English language level

• evidence of one of the following:

• that they meet the Australian study requirement in the last six months before applying

• that they have been employed in a skilled occupation for a period totalling at least 12 months in the last 24 months before applying

whereas now in the new visa 190 rules, it says for Partner Skills

You must provide evidence that your partner meets the requirements. This evidence must be:

• documents that prove your partner is 50 years of age or younger

• documents that prove your partner has at least competent English

• a positive skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for your partner’s nominated occupation (your partner’s nominated occupation must be on the same Skilled Occupation List as your nominated occupation).

Can anyone confirm that you don't have to prove the last bit of the blue section anymore (i.e. that they have been employed in a skilled occupation for a period totalling at least 12 months in the last 24 months before applying), as I need the 5 Partner Skill points, but am a Supply Teacher, and don't work full time........

Thanks.

Can any body clarify me about this.I am in Sol but wife's occupation is in CSOL.Can I still claim partner skill point?

• 1 year later...
I am also looking for answer to this question but we both are in SOL, can I claim my partners skill point?

If your occupations are both on the SOL and your partner has a positive skills assessment and meets the English requirements, you can claim 5 points for Partner Skills. If there is no higher English requirement for your partner's skills assessment, the English requirement is just the basic one which is automatically met if they have a passport from an English speaking country. If they are from somewhere else, they will need all 6s in IELTS or the equivalent in one of the other approved English tests.