British schools??

mrsmen

Hello everyone

looking for some advise on schools, myself and family are relocating to Perth this year my son who is 14 will need to go to a school that teaches the british curriculum as he will be entering his final year of gcse. we have the option of my husband going first and us following once our son finishes his gcse but that would be a last resort.

Any information would be much appreciated :smile:

I don't know of any schools that actually teach the british (do you mean English) curriculum (England and Scotland for example teach a different curriculum), I might be wrong, but there aren't any British schools in Peth, the qualifications are generally the WACE certiicate for completing year 12

Are you emigrating permanently? If so, and there is no chance of you returning to the UK until your son has finished school (and probably university, if that's where he's heading) there is really no need for him to have GCSEs and you might as well go at the same time as your husband. However, if you are only going for a short time, or there is a possibilty of you returning, it might be better to wait until he's taken them.

He's only 14 though - is he in year 10 this year? In which case he has another year after this? My youngest would be going into year 9/10 if we were still in Perth (she's 14 too). If that's the case and you're not coming back, I'd go. Gives him time to get settled and make friends before the real work starts!

some schools do offer the IB which is an option if you want qualifications which are easily transferable.

If this is only going to be a short term placement I would go so far as to say let him finish GCSE and A levels in UK, dont muck about and keep all his options open. In fact even if you think you will never return to UK I'd still be inclined to let him finish his school education in UK and then make a decision about university in Australia or UK (A levels travel well back to Aus whereas the converse is not necessarily true) because if, hopefully not, of course, things go pear shaped for you and you decide to return to UK you would be sort of stuck with him at a very difficult time to return.

Hello everyone

looking for some advise on schools, myself and family are relocating to Perth this year my son who is 14 will need to go to a school that teaches the british curriculum as he will be entering his final year of gcse. we have the option of my husband going first and us following once our son finishes his gcse but that would be a last resort.

Any information would be much appreciated :smile:

THere is an international school in Perth

http://www.iswa.wa.edu.au/

But as others have said they won't do GCSE's there, they will do the International Bacculareate. (IB) - that's not a problem at all, many schools in the UK are opting for the IB now as GCSE'S are considered 'dumbed down' - at least 25% of private schools in the UK do IB and some state schools too.

I used to be a GCSE examiner and received papers from all over the world but these were from places under British rule like Falklands and Hong Kong (at that time) and also from countries with significant British Troops such as Germany. There is no reason why your son couldn't take GCSE's as an independent candidate from overseas but he would have to be home-schooled to do it.

A lot depends as others have said oh his and your long term plans. IB would set hom up very well for taking A levels in the UK (probably better than GCSE's) but is not an easy option.

The good thing about the education system today is there is always a second chance, I taug for many years 17/18 year olds taking there second chance at GCSE's.

It'll be a great experience for him stepping out of his comfort zone and adapting to a new culture - he may not thank you for it at the time but in the long term he'll benefit.

Jules

There was all about the Cambridge board setting up an examination centre in WA at one time but I don think anything ever came of it. I think they have at least one in NZ so it is sort of surprising that they haven't ventured into Australia

Thank you everyone for the information, we are unsure at this time if we want to make it permanent we have said at least three years and if we are still enjoying the experience then we move permanently. My son is very much up for the move and wouldnt have a problem going to any school all i am concerned for is university if he decides to come back to britain for that, although its expensive ideally if we all stay then he can go to university in perth.

Thanks everyone

Archived