Whoop whoop tassie here i come just got a job

violethaze

So, only a matter of days after declaring I'm moving to Tasmania this year, a job came up that was perfect for me...and really, these jobs don't come up often in Tasmania. I applied, and got offered the job today.

Problem (challenge!) is that I am working now in Melbourne (luckily only temping, although I had the option of taking on a maternity cover role for a year at the end of February), the job starts 4 February, and I have to find somewhere to live and move myself, my stuff and my cat over before then!

I was all prepared to fly over this weekend to look at rental properties, but I'm told the real estate agents aren't open on weekends, so I'll have to rent a place sight unseen! haha

I have a lot on my plate and will try to get the major stuff out of the way over the weekend and next week so that I have piece of mind for my final week in Melbourne.

I am so excited and pleased but at the same time going OMG!

whooooooop!

Oh, I'll be working in the Cambridge area but want to live rural, so I'm thinking I'll be down south in the Huon Valley or something.... I have no problem with a 1 hr drive each way to work.

Edited by violethaze
spelling

Fantastic, well done!

There are HEAPS of rural places a lot closer to Cambridge than the Huon Valley. Pretty much everywhere that side is pretty rural with Sorrell being the "major town" of the area. Have a look around Google maps to see what I mean. You certainly don't need to go that far away for rural!

Oh, I'll be working in the Cambridge area but want to live rural, so I'm thinking I'll be down south in the Huon Valley or something.... I have no problem with a 1 hr drive each way to work.

Cambridge IS rural. Look on GoogleEarth towards Richmond, Sorell (as already mentioned), or Acton/Sandford area. You could be home in 10 minutes. :biggrin: The only problem at the moment might be people displaced by the bushfires - creating a shortage of rentals in those particular areas.

For rentals, I assume you are familiar with realestate.com.au ? Most of their rental properties have reasonable photo coverage so that you can get an initial "sighting". You could also try Gumtree.

hahaha. yeah...you got me there. I suppose I was turned off the idea of Cambridge/Richmond due to what I'd seen on the realestate/domain/etc websites being either flat long grass with few trees, or with small lots. The properties in the valley area seemed to have more character. Then, because of the fires I decided that other areas such as Sorrell/Dodges Ferry/etc may be hit by fires and I'd not be aware of it until I'm actually there. And good point about those displaced by the fires needing the rental properties too.

I'll keep looking up closer to Cambridge though as I do like the idea of being home in 10mins!

Thanks for the feedback and the congrats - I'm really pleased with how everything has turned out.

Most of the whirlwind factor comes from wanting to get a place prior to the first weekend of Feb as my friend who will be looking after my cat until I'm settled in Tasmania will be away that weekend. However, I think I'll try to arrange something else for her (not a boarding or anything, I'd have to find someone to come feed her and maybe play with her for a few minutes) and get myself into some short term accommodation so I can at least get a feel for areas before agreeing to rent in them.

It will all work out. It's just all very sudden and I'm digesting and trying to work through my options.

Thanks guys.

I'm sure something will come up for you. There always seem to be plenty of properties on the market both rentals and for sale. I am renting a room in a shared house in Hobart CBD for $150 p/w which could also be an option for you if you can find the right cat-friendly people.

Have you tied Gumtree? I think you can add keywords to your searches and pet-friendly might be the way to go.

thanks for the well wishes everyone. I've been in a hurry to find somewhere to rent and have looked at so many properties on the internet. I applied for three, missed out on one, waiting to hear on the other two but think I need to keep looking. At least I have some short term accomm sorted out for my first week or so in Tasmania. I couldn't get across on the ferry on the Thurs or Fri next week, so I'm over on the Sat night ferry. Woo hoo.

My emotions fluctuate from matter of fact to try to deal with what needs to get done in a short amount of time, excitement, anxiety and apprehension. I think the excitement ins even if I'm keeping a lid on all but the matter of factness.

Strick, I'm seeing more on the main real estate agents than on gumtree (that are what I'm looking for) but I do keep checking gumtree. I'm sure it will all work out in the end... In the meantime I keep trying to get a quick result and stressing myself out unnecessarily.

Edited by violethaze