Perth for Singletons?

Jad

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm torn i'll be honest. Half of me thinks Perth is up and coming and therefore there will be more opportunities and if everyone from the East coast hates it then all the better for my kids, less competition for everything. Maybe we can be the ones to pioneer all the developments, implement the new systems and be at the forefront of bringing Perth onto the global stage.

And then I worry that the Perthians are perfectly happy as they are, no intention of moving forward and it'll be impossible to convince them of the benefits and that will become depressing and draining after a while, in the meantime the kids could be getting more opportunities elsewhere.

Perth has been up and coming since about 1970. Somehow has always tended to stall. This present boom has certainly presented new oppurtunities for growth if a little one dimensional. The kids I expect will be leaving for some years yet.

It does get a lot of bashing I think because it's 'the thing' to do. The Group page for Perth (perfect Perth) on this site has more members than any other - so equally there are a lot of people who enjoy living there, but perhaps they don't feel that they have to justify why they like it as much as those that don't?

Odd you think that. Perth seems to have far more lovers than detractors. At the same time more complain about many aspects of life in Perth as well. Don't you feel it more likely due to Perth being the principle city in receiving British migrants that more pro and contra will be forthcoming?

Until young people get into power in perth I'm guessing it will always be 20 years behind the east coast. To many here don't want/like change . We've only just got Sunday trading as an example

The conservative nature of Perth has always seen change rather unwelcome. Not sure what you mean by until young people get in charge? They were all young once and the conservatism in general remains.

The nature of the beast suggests little changes from within. Outside forces are usually required to push for change. Perth needs a vibe.....across a greater area. Folk go to Melbourne or especially London,and in many cases bowled over by the vibe. The streets exhibits life. Folk actually stay out late. There is movement.

Let's see how the new city will be in a few years........should have been done twenty years ago.........

Tell me about it, I'm at breaking point . Off to Melbourne in 6 weeks to have a look. Getting cabin fever in perth

Perth is a lovely place but probably is a little bit backward as its quite isolated, nonetheless a lovely city but not really for me. Melbourne is lovely :) and Victoria in general is lovely place. come take a look you might love it or loath it, but hey nothing ventured nothing gained :)

I'm sure the weather in Melbourne is pretty crap though is it not ? I mean, it has cold winters and every time I look at the weather even in the summer it seems to be raining or overcast.

We are in Perth but originally we wanted to emigrate to Melbourne . We were told by our agent that Perth was better for families and there is endless beaches ,plus it would be a lot easier and faster to move to Perth. We have been here 4 months and we are starting to wander if we should go to Melbourne as originally planned for a weekend to see what all the fuss is about.

We have been looking into buying a 4 x 2 house here in Perth and it seems that the costs for what you get doesn't bode well. All the houses seem to have an alfresco area and no garden.

Here on the news all you hear about is people getting attacked by road rage thugs and people getting glassed in the pubs etc.We haven't been out yet so can't comment.We have had an issue with trying to get a taxi from a friends house when we waited an hour and a half for it to arrive, so we are a bit apprehensive to go out clubbing in case we can't get back home.

I'm a Industrial / commercial boiler technician working on boilers so maybe Melbourne would be better for me as it's colder in winter etc.

We are a family with 2 kids aged 5 and 2 yrs.

Sorry to jump in to the writers post but just wanted to know if Melbourne would be ok for families as well as singletons ? And is the pay the same as Perth or lower ?

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm sure the weather in Melbourne is pretty crap though is it not ? I mean, it has cold winters and every time I look at the weather even in the summer it seems to be raining or overcast.

We are in Perth but originally we wanted to emigrate to Melbourne . We were told by our agent that Perth was better for families and there is endless beaches ,plus it would be a lot easier and faster to move to Perth. We have been here 4 months and we are starting to wander if we should go to Melbourne as originally planned for a weekend to see what all the fuss is about.

We have been looking into buying a 4 x 2 house here in Perth and it seems that the costs for what you get doesn't bode well. All the houses seem to have an alfresco area and no garden.

Here on the news all you hear about is people getting attacked by road rage thugs and people getting glassed in the pubs etc.We haven't been out yet so can't comment.We have had an issue with trying to get a taxi from a friends house when we waited an hour and a half for it to arrive, so we are a bit apprehensive to go out clubbing in case we can't get back home.

I'm a Industrial / commercial boiler technician working on boilers so maybe Melbourne would be better for me as it's colder in winter etc.

Sorry to jump in to the writers post but just wanted to know if Melbourne would be ok for families as well as singletons ? And is the pay the same as Perth or lower ?

Everyone is different (thankfully), we spent 8 years in Melbourne, I can't say I loved it like I love Cairns but it was better than the UK for us. I've relocated a number of families to Melbourne over the years, I would say 75% love it, 5% have gone back and 20% have moved states and never been happier. I've never been to Perth but it sounds perthect for what we would want. We aren't city people. After being in Cairns a while I needed to go down to Melbourne and I found it a rat race compared to life up here. However, when you are moving straight from the UK you don't see this.

A lot of people can find the outer suburbs soulless, but this is where families can afford to settle around an hour from the CBD. Again I liked this but it's not for everyone.

With regards to the weather in winter it's cold and I mean cold, most houses don't have proper insulation, heating, double glazing, so you do feel the cold more. Then to the other extreme you can have 40-50 degree days and the bushfires start. Don't get me wrong I like Melbourne and would rather live there than the UK.

I lived in Melbourne for two years before children and I don't think if go back there either, too like the UK in many ways.

If I was young free and single I would go to Sydney, I've accepted for now Perth is where we have to be with you g kids.

Friends are about to move to Brisbane, maybe when we visit them I'll have the answers I'm looking for.

I hear you mate but the big reason for leaving Scotland was the weather and TBH weather in Perth is amazing > in the four months I've been here I have became spoiled lol.

I can plan every Saturday by chilling on the beach and body-boarding here if I want too . Is there good beaches with good waves in Melbourne ?

I love the look and vibe of Melbourne but don't want to wait 2 years until my sponsorship matures ,then move interstate , uproot my kids if the weather isn't great in the summer at least ! Don't mind a cold winter as I would be busy at work .

Are Melbourne people more open ?, as I find people here a bit closed off , like small town mentality , they don't really want to get to know you.

Well the weather can be "intermittent" in Melbourne all right , but I don't mind a bit of everything , yes it does get cold in winter (but not that bad really) but I think a bit of cold keeps you in touch with reality! Frankly that's why half of this country is useless! they spend too much time in the sun and it makes you soft and lazy! and their brains are fried LOL!! :)

Crime happens in every country, state, city etc, Melbourne is no exception, Boiler tec I would think you would have plenty of work here , Rheem have a big place close to me in Altona they were looking for people I recall seeing an ad on Seek. Our neighbors are a family with two small children and they love it here? I cant really give much advice on the whole kids thing as I am a single man but I see plenty of them around! Its not like Melbourne is anti kids or anything.

Plenty of nice suburbs to live in the greater Melbourne area on the way to Geelong to the west/south west and to the east/south east towards Philip Island

Guest The Pom Queen
I hear you mate but the big reason for leaving Scotland was the weather and TBH weather in Perth is amazing > in the four months I've been here I have became spoiled lol.

I can plan every Saturday by chilling on the beach and body-boarding here if I want too . Is there good beaches with good waves in Melbourne ?

I love the look and vibe of Melbourne but don't want to wait 2 years until my sponsorship matures ,then move interstate , uproot my kids if the weather isn't great in the summer at least ! Don't mind a cold winter as I would be busy at work .

Are Melbourne people more open ?, as I find people here a bit closed off , like small town mentality , they don't really want to get to know you.

If you want waves then you would be looking at Bells Beach or Philip Island for surfing. I haven't personally seen the beaches in WA but they look stunning compared to Melbourne Beaches. My favourite place is a few hours away from Melbourne called Wilsons Prom.

If you want the weather and to be able to plan outdoor activities Melbourne probably isn't for you.

In regards to the people in Melbourne, I've always found everyone really friendly, however, if you live on the new estates you could go weeks without seeing anyone including your neighbours, everyone keeps to themselves.

If you want people who are "generally" a bit more cultured , then I would say Melbourne may be the place to find them. SURF!!!! The home of Australian surfing is an hours drive from me in Williamstown, the Great Ocean Road to the southwest boasts 200ks of reef and beach breaks and of course is home to one of the BEST surf spots in Australia, Bells Beach. To the east you have Philip Island ( about an hour and a half drive from the CBD) which I surf quite often. Eastern Victoria has some great spots all the way over to Mallcoota, Wilsons Prom etc.

Your from Scotland? I have surfed at Macrahranish up on the Mull of Kintyre, Thurso and Dunbar near Edinburgh :) a Scotsman that likes the sun?? Donald wheres your shorts :) LOL!!

The summer so far has been nice had 44 degrees last week way to hot, I nearly passed out getting changed at Philly, for the most part its been fairly moderate here so far like between 22-32

Everyone is different (thankfully), we spent 8 years in Melbourne, I can't say I loved it like I love Cairns but it was better than the UK for us. I've relocated a number of families to Melbourne over the years, I would say 75% love it, 5% have gone back and 20% have moved states and never been happier. I've never been to Perth but it sounds perthect for what we would want. We aren't city people. After being in Cairns a while I needed to go down to Melbourne and I found it a rat race compared to life up here. However, when you are moving straight from the UK you don't see this.

A lot of people can find the outer suburbs soulless, but this is where families can afford to settle around an hour from the CBD. Again I liked this but it's not for everyone.

With regards to the weather in winter it's cold and I mean cold, most houses don't have proper insulation, heating, double glazing, so you do feel the cold more. Then to the other extreme you can have 40-50 degree days and the bushfires start. Don't get me wrong I like Melbourne and would rather live there than the UK.

Deffo true about the houses! no Insulation built with flimsy weatherboard, along with single pane windows! It can get chilly! We rent a lovely, but old Victorian townhouse and have a great big open fireplace :) and there's nothing like an open fire when its a bit cold :)

Odd you think that. Perth seems to have far more lovers than detractors. At the same time more complain about many aspects of life in Perth as well. Don't you feel it more likely due to Perth being the principle city in receiving British migrants that more pro and contra will be forthcoming?

I was talking about Perth bashing on PIO - been on the site since 2006 and a moderator for most of that and it's certainly changed from complaining about negative aspects of life in Perth to 'bashing' - just my opinion though.

I guess some of us need more stimulation than the beach though, simple things for simple minds.

Ha ha,very good PP!!

I usually empathise with your posts as we're a high income family so I can kind of see where you are coming from on some of your views regarding income required in Perth.

But you're clearly just a bitter woman who is struggling to adapt to life over here and missing the 'champagne' lifestyle of the the, erm, beautiful Wirral.

I wish you luck... :cool:

I was talking about Perth bashing on PIO - been on the site since 2006 and a moderator for most of that and it's certainly changed from complaining about negative aspects of life in Perth to 'bashing' - just my opinion though.

No doubt. Do you feel the gross inflated prices that started a little prior to that date and poor value may have just a little to do with the increased negativity. I mean paying more than double for a house within a period of a few years,rent hikes like no bodies business, the greed that became part and parcel of that ..do you really wonder?

Back to the original point - Perth for singletons.... Personally I am from near Melbourne and moved to Perth a few years back. Was so sick of the same men (and men who knew everyone in some way/someones cousin/brother/workmate etc); pretentious metrosexuals who are looking for the next hottest girl to come along; alternative indie types who turn their nose up at you for not liking Triple J; the list goes on. As soon as I moved to Perth, I had dates set up with interesting, driven, young professionals who work hard and enjoy their time off. Now I'm engaged to a gorgeous English man. So as for my single life - Perth has been an absolute godsend. None of this "too-cool" BS.

No doubt. Do you feel the gross inflated prices that started a little prior to that date and poor value may have just a little to do with the increased negativity. I mean paying more than double for a house within a period of a few years,rent hikes like no bodies business, the greed that became part and parcel of that ..do you really wonder?

Not particularly ... No, but I accept it takes all sorts, some like to talk about the problem and some like to be more solution focused.

Back to the original point - Perth for singletons.... Personally I am from near Melbourne and moved to Perth a few years back. Was so sick of the same men (and men who knew everyone in some way/someones cousin/brother/workmate etc); pretentious metrosexuals who are looking for the next hottest girl to come along; alternative indie types who turn their nose up at you for not liking Triple J; the list goes on. As soon as I moved to Perth, I had dates set up with interesting, driven, young professionals who work hard and enjoy their time off. Now I'm engaged to a gorgeous English man. So as for my single life - Perth has been an absolute godsend. None of this "too-cool" BS.

pretentious metrosexuals???? you hung around with the wrong crowd toots and probably the wrong part of town! Triple J is ****!

Interesting= that's why they are in Perth!

Driven= Yea I am sure employers will be all ears that you worked in the most isolated city in the world! They will probably ask you to study a 4 year degree to catch up on the rest of Australia.

Young professionals who work hard = There is nothing else to do over there!

Enjoy their time off= Drinking in Northbridge (the handful of pubs and clubs that's in it)

Melbs ROCKS

Perth SUCKS :)

PS : I love the way you make Perth sound so cosmopolitan! like it is New York or London LOL!!!

Lol yeah I'm a Scotsman that likes the sun .When you have spent 37 years of your life in an overcast , grey , wet environment it leaves deep rooted scars !

So waking up every morning to blue skies and toasty weather really does make my soul happy , albeit the poor Aussies are being subjected to my white milk bottle legs just now . Even with sun glasses on they still have sore eyes!

I think we might pop over to Melbourne for the weekend in March just me and the misses for a reckie just to see if we could live there and make some comparisons with regards to houses , infrastructure etc.

How is it for trains and taxi's for getting in and out of the city at night ?

Archived