Cheap Travel?

SparkleGirlSparkle

I do not qualify for any of the youth/student fares and wondering if I am looking in the right places!

I've been looking at traveling by air, train and bus, but nothing seems really cheap, although I think that is partly a personal thing! Anyway, it makes me miss the £1 MegaBus fares a great deal!!!! I'm not looking to travel to the other side of the country or even up to the top of the country, just from Sydney down to Melbourne and/or across to Adelaide. I also toyed with the idea of heading to Hobart until I started researching prices!

So, any slightly older backpackers that aren't entitled to any concessions, got any advice or secret hidden beauties for reasonable travel costs around this beautiful country? Thanks!!!

I also toyed with the idea of heading to Hobart until I started researching prices!

The airlines do offer cheap fares at times but you do have to keep your eye on their websites. Probably not a lot of luck at the moment because it is the peak tourist season in Tasmania and they can fill their seats quite easily. Tiger Airlines and Jetstar are likely to be the cheapest but Virgin do have a "Happy Hour" from 4 - 6pm each day.

I got the train from sydney to melbourne for around $100 and that was around 10hours on a night train. A cheap way to do it if your looking to save. The problem with australia is unless your a student of that particular state the student fares don't count anyway! Premier is a cheaper bus service than greyhound also. and jetstar are always good.

Guest The Pom Queen

You can get flights from Sydney to Melbourne for $40 but it's just when their sales come up. Register yourself for the newsletters for the following:

Tiger Airways

Jetstar

Virgin

Also you could look for the relocate campervans and cars, I just had a quick look for you and you can hire a 3 berth campervan for $1 a day, they allow 3 days to get to Melbourne so it would cost you $3 http://www.standbyrelocations.com/

Guest The Pom Queen
You can get flights from Sydney to Melbourne for $40 but it's just when their sales come up. Register yourself for the newsletters for the following:

Tiger Airways

Jetstar

Virgin

Also you could look for the relocate campervans and cars, I just had a quick look for you and you can hire a 3 berth campervan for $1 a day, they allow 3 days to get to Melbourne so it would cost you $3 http://www.standbyrelocations.com/

I've just received Jetstars newsletter and Melbourne to Sydney (I know it's the other way round but just for an example) is $35

http://email.jetstar.com/pub/sf/FormLink?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DWQpglLjHJlTQGlze3BOs8za8jjcGL2Nzd7zdHzcIzezaAEeo8N0UfN7CfVXMtX%3DWQpglLjHJlTQGNCPnipBpBGzfDkKcKPcfmKBLOzcTuCCw38zgzeTzcf&_ei_=ErEn4Ft06BYOOjXVo-QCKNQ.

Tiger Airways

Jetstar

Virgin

Signing up to those now! Do the campervans come with drivers?!:biglaugh:

Guest The Pom Queen
Signing up to those now! Do the campervans come with drivers?!:biglaugh:

No, but you could always post for people to share the journey with you

Guest The Pom Queen
If we were there for 3 weeks then i wouldnt mind just having a open mind instead of a plan.

Ill price normal campervans aswell

I wouldn't bother with a normal campervan, we thought it would be cheaper for 5 of us but to be honest it probably wasn't, BUT we stayed at a camp site every night so that we had power for the aircon, the cost of this was probably around $80pn for all of us, it wouldn't be that much for you as the prices they quote are usually for 2 people then you add extra on.

Guest The Pom Queen
That is true, but my accommodation is sorted, it's just getting from A to B. But it's okay, I think I have come up with a reasonable solution. Those JetStar prices seem to be fluctuating too... in my favour! :biggrin:

That's great news, yes keep an eye on the flights as they do have some great deals on, it's just being in the right place at the right time.

Well, I managed to get a Tiger Airways bargain, at least compared to everything else out there. $62 for one-way flight from Melbourne to Sydney, with a checked bag of 20kg! Although it's a day later than I intended, it did prove to be half the price of the flights the day I did want to go, and it was cheaper than an economy saver on the train!

Well, I managed to get a Tiger Airways bargain, at least compared to everything else out there. $62 for one-way flight from Melbourne to Sydney, with a checked bag of 20kg! Although it's a day later than I intended, it did prove to be half the price of the flights the day I did want to go, and it was cheaper than an economy saver on the train!

brilliant! enjoy your trip!