Bored

Flathead

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's where I'm at right now.

We realised very quickly that So'ton was a mistake, and we agreed that when our lease ran out (last November), we'd move.

We explored a fair bit and found a few possible locations, and I spent countless hours on the internet and on the phone to agents in Sept/Oct looking for flats - but then my oh said England hadn't lived up to his expectations, and since we had to go back to Oz one day anyway, we might as well head home in May. Therefore as it was only another six months, was it really worth the hassle of moving?

We do have a gorgeous flat in Soton and we were planning a lot of travelling, so I decided I could handle that. Come February and he starts saying he wants to stay longer after all. I could've brained him, but I had no objection to staying, IF we moved somewhere else. However, because I'd done ALL the work of finding our holiday flat in Bournemouth, our flat in So'ton, and all the research for our aborted move in November, I said, "I'm burnt out. If you want to stay, you've got to do the legwork this time."

I gave him all the research I'd done - names of possible cities, suburbs etc etc. That was in February. It's now April. What has he done? Nothing. Nada. Not a stroke.

Frankly, I've had it. He's the one that wants to stay in this country, so why am I the one that has to put in all the effort? He can jolly well pull his finger out and find me a decent home to live in, in a decent city! I don't think I'm being unreasonable, in fact I think I've been pretty patient. If he's not even going to try, then he'll just have to put up with the Australian sun because I'm not spending another winter in So'ton come what may.

Reading is on the list, actually. But again, rentals aren't cheap. The thing is, he's an Aussie - what you might call character, he sees as dilapidated, so that rules out a lot of rental places in Britain. Again, he's the one creating the problem by being too fussy about what he'll live in - not me!

I can sympathise.

When we moved over, I arrived a week before my wife, but didn't have a lot of time to do a lot of property hunting other than visit local agents and tell them what we wanted and things. I started work 24 hours after arriving. But, we set up viewings for when my wife arrived. We went to see a load of places and a number ticked all the boxes. But, at the last minute my wife pulled on each of them or in one case - which would have been perfect - the agent decided he wanted to redecorate and we couldn't have it in time. We only had a week between my wife arriving and having to move in to some where. In the end, I threw my hands in the air, and handballed it to her. She took the first place she went to see, in panic as much as anything.

It is a lovely place and Windsor is stunning. Just the right side of being big enough to have everything (except supermarkets - we only have one, which is a Waitrose!), but small enough to feel cosy. But, the apartment is far from ideal. First, we wanted a house, second, it is 3rd floor with no lift. That is complicated by us having a dog that likes to go for a pee in the middle of the night, oh and it is massively over budget. But, we have a break clause at 4 months and are already 1 month down, starting to look again for somewhere long term.

This brings me to you. We are bound to see a million places both on line and in person. We had initially said we only want a village, but, not my wife is enjoying having all the facilities on the door step. So, all cards are on the table. So, if you want, you could PM me a more detailed criteria of what you are looking for and your email, and as we see places, I am happy to pass them on. We have discovered that a lot of places aren't advertised on line or are snapped up before they get on line.

Archived