More nurses leaving the UK

tuckerfa

Guest The "Biscuits"

after viewing the hospitals on wanted down under (wow what an impressive ICU ) that just confirms what i hoped - that Oz hospitals, management staff and morale are a vast improvement on what we tolerate over here. - not to mention the crummy pay increase.

Hoping to be there sept 08

Well my mum is a nurse and my dad in the past has worked as a chef (he still works in Catering, just not as a chef but he's qualified) so by both my parents we can get in on two counts of 60 points!

I gather my dad overall probably dislikes his job more, but he gets paid more than my mum - I mean, seriously, why? For organising a company as an Operations Manager - so really a bit of a business man, and yet of course nurses are saving peoples lives and being packed into small offices and they get less.

It's a really screwed up system at the moment.

Oh and in case you're wondering, I think our education system is now... I won't say it, but GCSE's are ridiculous.

I had an ICT teacher who moved from Australia to the UK after we lost ours because he lived a fair way from the school I'm at (about 60 miles each way so that's 120 miles a day just for his job! And no lease car etc) and our Australian teacher hated being here, he got so homesick and he used to go on an awful lot about the way people our age are educated in ICT - the Australian equivalent of GCSE (not sure what it's called?) and well it makes me regret my ICT GCSE and most others because they're utterly pointless courses that I could really have lived without.

It sounds like you do more useful stuff in Australia than we do here in terms of education.

It's quite sad.

And that's beside the point, but at the end of the day, healthcare and education are worsening systems here and of course they're renowned for being much better in Australia!

I know a few nurses in Aus and they say that they get treated much better than here. After these last 2 weeks I am sooooo glad we are going, firstly I am returning to work following Mat leave and asked if I could not do nights for a few months as breast feeding my son and he won't take a bottle. Days aren't a prob as he is fully weaned (weaned him early coz of this) he is only just 6 months. Work have refused and after a battle have agreed that the current off duty I don't have to do nights but the new one starts in 2 weeks (don't go back til mon) and they still are saying I have to do nigts. The joke is that we are a breast feeding friendly hospital and I work on a children's ward mainly 0-2 year olds and we are supposed to actively promote breast feeding!!! but for staff it is a different story. Secondly after supposed to get paid on 25th I realised that they hadn't paid me, only paid mat leave until 7th Jan but not annual leave from that date!!! COuldn't speak to anyone friday as payrol don't answer the phone and have spent the last 2 days trying to get what is owed to me. Finally today they have agreed that I can have MY money and I can collect it tomorrow. I can't believe how badly I have been treated. Also we finally got our back pay and how exciting that was, all £82 of it!!!!! I have been qualified over 10 years and this is the thanks I get so all I can say it I'M A NURSE GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!!!

Rant over:wub:

Doesn't surprise me - although to be honest the hospitals are just as short staffed here as they are in the UK, but the quality of 'home time' is great.

Ali

I am a nurse; just dropped hours from full time to part time as i couldn't cope with the long shifts and babysitting problems, its so hard to get the balance right! Also thinking about a new life in Oz.......are nursing careers as easy to find out there and is the work - family life better balanced?

Because of the staff shortages you'll pick a job up no problem. I worked on the wards for 6 months when I first arrived and lots of people doing double shifts.

Trakki - does your work place have a child friendly policy that you can look up and quote? If you feel strongly you could take out a grievance I'm sure. The hopsital I used to work at had actually written a policy. If you put something in writing they have to respond to you in writing. Before my son started school he had to go to pre-school one morning a week, my manager let me change my hours during term time to accommodate this.

Ali

Because of the staff shortages you'll pick a job up no problem. I worked on the wards for 6 months when I first arrived and lots of people doing double shifts.

Trakki - does your work place have a child friendly policy that you can look up and quote? If you feel strongly you could take out a grievance I'm sure. The hopsital I used to work at had actually written a policy. If you put something in writing they have to respond to you in writing. Before my son started school he had to go to pre-school one morning a week, my manager let me change my hours during term time to accommodate this.

Ali

Ali, I wonder if you can help, I am in Australia and Im a reg. nurse with NSW we arrived from UK in Oct. I have been offered a job in private hospital and have interview tomorrow for main Base Hospital in Coffs, thing is they are requesting evidence of years/hours worked post reg so they can work out my pay scale. I dont know how to get this info. from UK or who to ask, did you have to do this or has anyone else had this come up. If so could you advise. Thanks Gilly:notworthy:

Contact the HR dept at the hospital you worked at - they can do you a letter stating how long you have worked for them and in what capacity. So they'd say Gilly worked as a staff nurse from such a date to such a date for so many hours a week. If you've worked in more than one place you can contact other HR depts. Mine stated I'd been employed at that hospital, for so many years, but that I had continual nhs employment for so many years.

Ali

Archived