Killer Cat - To migrate or not.

BackToLife

One of my two cats is a dedicated killer of whatever moves - mice, birds, ankles, etc...etc... and it breaks my heart whenever I find the evidence of one of her monstrous killing sprees.

Plus having to clean up the gory mess doesn't do much for my stomach contents either... :mad:

So, knowing how Australia feels about cats and wildlife, and as my time to depart these shores is getting nearer and nearer (July/Aug 2013), I have to make a decision within the next few weeks as to what to do with her, as if I am taking her with me, I need to get the rabies injections done in January (I believe).

She was a stray who adopted me 3 years ago during that truly horrendous winter we had, but as I have no-one in the UK who would be prepared to take her if I leave her behind, it would be off to a rescue centre, assuming they have room.

I really don't know what to do.

Can anyone offer some advice, please?

If you love her and can afford it bring her, one more mog is not going to make much difference to the wild life. As long as she is speyed they have to be here. Also you will have to register her and have her microchipped to live in Aus. We are required to keep our cats in at night as this is to protect the wild life which tend to be around in the night here in Aus or early mornings. I have three monsters, two watch and one kills if he can but has become to old now. I wish they would catch the damn rabbits down the bottom or our land.

Hi,

My cat was a monster killer in Scotland, birds, mice anything that moved! We brought her over to Adelaide and was very worried abouth the gorgeous local birds, but she hasn't caught one yet and in fact is a wee bit bullied by them! In 16 months she has caught a few butterflies and a few lizard tails, but otherwise enjoys strolling around in the sun! :) very glad we brought her.

gill x

The problem is that I have never really considered her to be 'my' cat, just really a stray I feed, therefore I haven't got that emotionally involved with her.

I need to sit down and have a long, hard think about this.

Thank you everyone for your responses - I still don't have sight of that magic 'THANKS' button to thank you all individually.

Hi Back to life ...

One of the posters here says "one more mog is not going to make much difference to the wild life."

Now the reality is that years ago, no councils had cat restriction rules, but like many thing, these new rules have just kept piling up. One of the reasons for the restrictions is that we have had so many imported birds taking over our local bird nests (and killing our native birds), that some have become close to extinction in some areas. So this coupled with cats (another introduced species) killing birds is the last straw for many bird species.

I like cats and dogs so this is not an anti cat rant. I have to say that the first cat my parents adopted was one of the most brave strongest, protectors I have ever seen, as well as a great hunter. But as you way, you are not that emotionally invested in this cat. Its a question of you searching your heart to decide if you are bonded enough to ensure that your cats life is protected.

While many councils have cat restrictions, your new one may not. If it does you can always have it trained so that it comes to you (good luck) and play with it outside off lead, and bring it in when you finish playing. Some people also buy cat runs for their yards. There are quite a few options. Good luck!

The problem is that I have never really considered her to be 'my' cat, just really a stray I feed, therefore I haven't got that emotionally involved with her.

This jumps out at me. Are you 100% sure she's a stray? and that you've not just been feeding someone else's cat?

I need to sit down and have a long, hard think about this.

Thank you everyone for your responses - I still don't have sight of that magic 'THANKS' button to thank you all individually.

A stray came to our place a while back, he was here for over a year and we fed him, tried to make friends with him but he would not be friendly, just used to sit on a chair on the patio and eat food basically. He was an old cat and obviously someone had moved and left him or he had left them. Anyway he started beating up my little Eric Cat so we could not have that, so I took him to Animal Aid. I know he was put to sleep because he bit and scratched the first person who came to handle him there. However I feel that he had a good life for a little while, outstayed his welcome and it was time to take action.

To pay to bring a cat to Aus it has to be a special four legged friend, if its not there are many many looking for a good home here.

I always get mine from the RSPCA or some other animal rescue place as these animals are overlooked with our desire for the perfect puss. I have the perfect three at the present time, they get on, they don't chase birds, but I wish they would get those damn rabbits.

If we moved to a house on a smaller block we would get a cat run put on to the house so that they were confined to our property.

If you love her and can afford it bring her, one more mog is not going to make much difference to the wild life. As long as she is speyed they have to be here. Also you will have to register her and have her microchipped to live in Aus. We are required to keep our cats in at night as this is to protect the wild life which tend to be around in the night here in Aus or early mornings. I have three monsters, two watch and one kills if he can but has become to old now. I wish they would catch the damn rabbits down the bottom or our land.

The spayed, microchipped and registered thing totally depends on your council. Mine they don't have to be any of those. There is a two cat limit. You can apply to have more, at a cost of $30 and then they have to be spayed for them to agree. No registration. And none of mine are microchipped as they don't wander on their own.

Op, it doesn't sound like you are that keen. I think you should find it another home.

Archived