Moving to Canberra in April With 2 Children - Advice Appreciated

thejeffreysinscotland

I arrived in April last year and it was cold but not as cold as i thought it would be during the day, get a good coat. Karrimor has sales all the time. I have two kids and the main issue I have is lack of day care for my youngest but you won't have that issue. Lots of different clubs for them to join, my eldest does swimming, AFL and athletics.

We need two cars due to logistics but you might cope with one. Make sure your Dr is bulk billing. With Centrelink double check everything, on a PR you should get some sort of payments.

Join Costco and don't constantly convert $ to £ or you might cry. I love Canberra and I wouldn't move for love nor money!

Places to see when you get here - Questacon, Tidbinbilla, Cotter Dam, Cockington Green, The Mint, The zoo and the two lakes. Lots of great places for BBQs. Hall markets also good as are the bus depot markets.

Fyshwick market good for fruit and veg as is Belconnen markets.

Good luck

Hi Bazinga

Thank you so much for all this advice which I have taken on board along with everyone else's. It is so good to hear from people who have already experienced what we are planning which is quite overwhelming but makes me feel better reading all your posts. Our current plan is to stay a week in a hotel in Canberra (have lots of hotel points to use up so will help a little with costs) where we can get over jet lag and start to find our way around. We then plan to move into furnished accommodation for 4 weeks - do you think this is long enough to find a rental in this time or will we need longer in the short term rental? Does anyone know on average how long it takes to secure a rented 3 bed house?

Thanks again for all your help

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bazinga

How long is a piece of string?... Hard to know with rentals really! Husband got accepted to a place on Thursday which was lucky as the following Monday we arrived. He was here 7 months before us.

Hi to everyone living in Canberra. I am moving to Canberra at the end of January with husband, three children and a dog (chocolate brown labrador). We are going into a rental apartment for three weeks and then need to find a rental after that. Is this a difficult time to find a rental. We need to find somewhere near good schools for my three children. My husband is working in the CBD. Thanks for any advice on good areas and schools. My children are 14, 11 and 9.

Guest Bazinga

Look at allhomes.com.au. See what your budget can get you. Depending on your visa you might wanr to put your kids in private school. Have a look at the Myschools website.

Look at allhomes.com.au. See what your budget can get you. Depending on your visa you might wanr to put your kids in private school. Have a look at the Myschools website.

Unfortunately cannot afford private schools at moment. We are on a permanent resident visa. As children have already been to two schools in Brisbane in just less than a year I need to get good schools for them. Problem is I know you have to be in the catchment area for the school so was wondering what are the areas with good schools I should look at. Also is February a bad time to look for rental houses?

Guest Bazinga

Well, yes as everyone else (uni/govt) is looking too but if you don't have a choice then I'm sure it will be ok. Some people don't have a problem. Look at the myschools website, see what schools you fancy then have a look at the area.

Unfortunately cannot afford private schools at moment. We are on a permanent resident visa. As children have already been to two schools in Brisbane in just less than a year I need to get good schools for them. Problem is I know you have to be in the catchment area for the school so was wondering what are the areas with good schools I should look at. Also is February a bad time to look for rental houses?

The ACT schooling system differs from the rest of Oz and for good reasons. The ACT topped the recent results that everybody is discussing. You can get into non govt schools such as Canberra High where my 13 yr old daughter is, and where 60% are from outside the catchment area. Any questions on the ACT in general PM me, I've been here nearly 37 years, after stints in SA, Vic, and NSW.

The ACT schooling system differs from the rest of Oz and for good reasons. The ACT topped the recent results that everybody is discussing. You can get into non govt schools such as Canberra High where my 13 yr old daughter is, and where 60% are from outside the catchment area. Any questions on the ACT in general PM me, I've been here nearly 37 years, after stints in SA, Vic, and NSW.

Hi Wendee I tried to PM you twice before on another thread and for some reason it wouldn't send.

Edited by Laguna
typo error

Hi Wendee I tried to PM you twice before on another thread and for some reason it wouldn't send.

I have emptied my Inbox and Sent items. Try again, if it doesn't work I'll PM you a private email address.

Cheers..stevo

• 1 month later...

Me & my wife moved to Canberra from the UK (Newcastle) 15 months ago & had to go through exactly what your facing so hopefully I can give you some good advice.

We did not have any children to bring over but we were going to bring our dog but like you changed our mind & left it with my family; a decision I'm pleased we made as it would have made things more difficult ie house rentals.

Luckily my employer in Canberra put us up in a hotel for 4 weeks whilst we hunted a house to rent. It took us about 3 weeks to find a house we liked & move in.

We opted for north side, Casey to be exact as it's all new housing & a fairly quiet area but still have all the amenities of Gungahlin which is only a 5 min drive or 20 min bike ride! (cycling is big in Canberra)

The only downside of the mostly new housing in Northside is that you don't get much of a garden. We have a lovely 3 bedroom house & garage but no real garden at the rear just a back yard. If a garden space is important the older houses in south side of Canberra seem to offer more.

With regards to living here in Canberra, I can honestly say we love it! My wife & I are both in our mid thirties & my wife is expecting our child & Canberra is a great place to live for families. It's very clean with loads of parks & outdoor space. It's very well laid out & you don't experience any major Traffic or congestion which I experienced almost every day back in the UK. It doesn't have any major crime problems that I'm aware of, although there are better areas than others like all suburban cities. If you like biking it has cycle paths everwhere!

I cant give you any advice on south side as we are north side but the new suburbs up where we are all seem very good; Casey, Nicholls & Forde are all nice clean places to live with plenty of 3/4 bedroom properties which you are looking for. Gungahlin itself has some nice housing although stay away from the centre as its very busy & the housing is mainly apartments / units.

But I'm sure some people on here who live Southside can advise on where to live that side of town. We have made friends with a couple on here through this site who live south side & love it, but it's definitely a good idea to stay in a hotel or something & have a look around before committing.

The downsides: Canberra can seem like a little bit of a closed society, but maybe this is because of a high amount of government bods here. This is something we have got used to & you just have to try a bit harder to find people with a bit colour!

Canberra drivers are terrible, but again you get used to it!

Canberra is expensive, again probably because a high percentage are government peeps & are drawing big bucks!

These are not major negatives though, and the positives far outweigh the negatives.

The coast is only a 1.5 hour drive away, the big lights of Sydney are a very easy 3 hour drive & with Canberra having an airport you can fly to any of the cities on this huge bit of rock!

Anyway, I hope I've helped & I wish you all the best on the big move & if you need any help or advice, just give us a shout :)

Ben

Me & my wife moved to Canberra from the UK (Newcastle) 15 months ago & had to go through exactly what your facing so hopefully I can give you some good advice.

We did not have any children to bring over but we were going to bring our dog but like you changed our mind & left it with my family; a decision I'm pleased we made as it would have made things more difficult ie house rentals.

Luckily my employer in Canberra put us up in a hotel for 4 weeks whilst we hunted a house to rent. It took us about 3 weeks to find a house we liked & move in.

We opted for north side, Casey to be exact as it's all new housing & a fairly quiet area but still have all the amenities of Gungahlin which is only a 5 min drive or 20 min bike ride! (cycling is big in Canberra)

The only downside of the mostly new housing in Northside is that you don't get much of a garden. We have a lovely 3 bedroom house & garage but no real garden at the rear just a back yard. If a garden space is important the older houses in south side of Canberra seem to offer more.

With regards to living here in Canberra, I can honestly say we love it! My wife & I are both in our mid thirties & my wife is expecting our child & Canberra is a great place to live for families. It's very clean with loads of parks & outdoor space. It's very well laid out & you don't experience any major Traffic or congestion which I experienced almost every day back in the UK. It doesn't have any major crime problems that I'm aware of, although there are better areas than others like all suburban cities. If you like biking it has cycle paths everwhere!

I cant give you any advice on south side as we are north side but the new suburbs up where we are all seem very good; Casey, Nicholls & Forde are all nice clean places to live with plenty of 3/4 bedroom properties which you are looking for. Gungahlin itself has some nice housing although stay away from the centre as its very busy & the housing is mainly apartments / units.

But I'm sure some people on here who live Southside can advise on where to live that side of town. We have made friends with a couple on here through this site who live south side & love it, but it's definitely a good idea to stay in a hotel or something & have a look around before committing.

The downsides: Canberra can seem like a little bit of a closed society, but maybe this is because of a high amount of government bods here. This is something we have got used to & you just have to try a bit harder to find people with a bit colour!

Canberra is expensive, again probably because a high percentage are government peeps & are drawing big bucks!

These are not major negatives though, and the positives far outweigh the negatives.

The coast is only a 1.5 hour drive away, the big lights of Sydney are a very easy 3 hour drive & with Canberra having an airport you can fly to any of the cities on this huge bit of rock!

Anyway, I hope I've helped & I wish you all the best on the big move & if you need any help or advice, just give us a shout :)

Ben

Canberra isn't expensive, except for fuel and real estate.

Edited by Wendee
spelling

Only wimpy poms say that.

They don't, quite a few Aussies say the same...especially the ones from the bigger cities where you need a bit more awareness, a lot of Canberrans seem to have come straight off a farm track or are immigrants from bad driving nations.

I like the way they don't register that the car in front is indicating to turn right so they should drop back, or give themselves space to undertake. What do they do......stay about 10ft from their bumper then suddenly slam their brakes on in shock before they run in the back of them. It's like watching Mr Magoo. For a place with so few cars you really need to have an idiot radar switched on at all times.

They don't, quite a few Aussies say the same...especially the ones from the bigger cities where you need a bit more awareness, a lot of Canberrans seem to have come straight off a farm track or are immigrants from bad driving nations.

I like the way they don't register that the car in front is indicating to turn right so they should drop back, or give themselves space to undertake. What do they do......stay about 10ft from their bumper then suddenly slam their brakes on in shock before they run in the back of them. It's like watching Mr Magoo. For a place with so few cars you really need to have an idiot radar switched on at all times.

not a problem in 37 years here in the ACT. Wimpy pom?

Guest Bazinga

I'm far from a wimpy pom. I just can't stand idiot drivers. It's dangerous. I am from London, used to narrow roads and lots of traffic, drivers here are much worse.

I'm far from a wimpy pom. I just can't stand idiot drivers. It's dangerous. I am from London, used to narrow roads and lots of traffic, drivers here are much worse.

Make sure you have a 400 HP grocery getter and you'll get it!

I telephoned the Canberra High School and unfortunately this year they are not taking out of the catchment area as they are full. So trying to find rental in the appropriate areas and looking at other options.

I telephoned the Canberra High School and unfortunately this year they are not taking out of the catchment area as they are full. So trying to find rental in the appropriate areas and looking at other options.

Lyneham High is good for an arty type I believe.

Lyneham High is good for an arty type I believe.

Lyneham won't do out of area either! They have a G&T program, talented sports program and good music program.

Other areas you could try would be around HS: Campbell, Telopea Park, Alfred Deakin, Melrose in the first instance. Probably try and avoid Kaleen, Southern Cross and any of the Tugg ones (lots of Tugg parents vote with their feet and opt for Woden Valley schools)

Good luck with the house hunt!

Ben

Hi Ben, Thank you so much for taking the time to post. This is really informative for us and I've taken onboard all you've said. We are considering moving to the north side and will need to start looking at areas and schools shortly. Our house sale goes through next Friday, packers arrive this coming Tuesday, the dogs have very sadly been rehomed (but I hear are really happy there even though we are missing them so much) and we fly out at the end of April when the adventure really starts!

I may well take you up on your offer for further advice in the coming months!!

Thanks again

Pamela

Edited by thejeffreysinscotland
wrong word used

Guest Bazinga

I quite like Kaleen High School.

Wendee - I'm going to stop short of telling you to shut up but please do be quiet. It's my opinion on what the drivers are like. Stop being rude abt it please.

I quite like Kaleen High School.

Wendee - I'm going to stop short of telling you to shut up but please do be quiet. It's my opinion on what the drivers are like. Stop being rude abt it please.

KHS didn't have the best of reputations although it was doing its best to recover (many many years ago it was one of the schools to aspire to but then it went down in a heap for some reason).

BTW, I agree with you about the drivers! (But then I was only in Canberra for 32 years so maybe I don't know either LOL)

Welcome to Canberra. I am moving back to Europe after 13 years in Canberra. It is a great city to live in but my advice is not to live too far out - if you can afford it the inner north or inner south are great areas. Can be pretty lonely here - culturally Aussies are NOT the same as Brits!