Moving to Canberra in April With 2 Children - Advice Appreciated

thejeffreysinscotland

Which airport you leaving from on the 1st april then?

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. That's what we will do, have a long holiday before reality hits.

Actually now arriving on 27 March, coming from Wellington, New Zealand, everyone is really excited :-)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Questacon, Cockington Green, War Memorial (seriously good fun), National Zoo and Aquarium

Agree with all these....Questacon is fab for kids, like a huge science museum, but loads of things to touch, and throw and ride on. War Memorial is a really great place...huge museum with real world war planes and brings it all to life.

Tidbinbilla National Park is perfect to go if you want to see kangaroos in the wild in large numbers...sometimes you can see babies in the pouches too. There's a koala enclosure too where they're trying to rehabilitate koalas back into the park from other regions in Oz

There are emus roaming around, and loads of trails and boardwalks to follow.

Another nice thing to do with the kids on a sunny day is go to one of the beach areas...they're like on the river banks, and there are bbq areas and kids can paddle. There's Pine Island in Tuggeranong, and I forget the name of the others, maybe someone can help me out with that?

In Woden Mall, there's a very small play area, for probably under 5's but nice for them to play and then have a coffee and cake?

In DFO in Fishwick, which is like a shopping center but it's outlets, there's an indoor play area, where you can sign your kids in while you shop if you want to.

I'm just thinking off the top of my head here, what else? There are so many gorgeous beaches if you want to take a day trip...Bateman's bay itself is ok, it's very touristy, but you'll probably find crazy golf and things like that. If you go further round either North or South, the beaches are much nicer. Jervis Bay is one of my favourite places on earth, but it's quite a bit further, and probably too far to do in a day (although we have done it)

Sydney...great aquarium, and Zoo, ferry trip across Darling Harbour to view the opera house and bridge...very busy traffic in Sydney compared to Canberra, and parking very expensive and difficult...might be easier on the train, but maybe not with lots of kids?

I think that's all for now,

Hope some of that helps,

Blooroo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeffries

We have been in Canberra for a year now and really settled in. Everyone seems to be different with finding rentals. We were lucky my hubby's company rented a house for us for 2 months when we arrived. We however found a house within 4 weeks and really had no problems. Be prepared though some of the houses on the rental market are rotten!!! How they can live with themselves renting them I have no idea oh yeah probably the 2-3k a month :-) I was shocked though at the state of some of them. You do get the nice sparkly new suburbs but you sacrifice garden space. We brought our 2 little woofs with us and to tell you the truth we had no problems finding a house to take them. Touch wood though as we are having a nosy on all homes and if something jumps out at us then we are happy to move, might be harder to find somewhere with woofs again. Mind you we have excellent references having had them in the house. Just spotted your post about rehoming the woofs...awwww my heart goes out to you all. One of the hardest things to do in the world!!

We ended up in Melba, wasn't top of my list, wasn't even on my list however we came to see it after looking at rotter in Aranda and the new kitchen and swimming pool won out. Our 9 year old is in Mount Rogers PS and loves it. Schooling is different here but no point comparing to UK if you plan on staying forever. If we stay around this area we will use private HS though as Copeland High School is meant to be awful. The HS here don't have a great rep. Mind you I have heard some horror stories regarding the private schools too.

Defo bring your winter Woolies!! Bloody freezing at night last year. I bought new winter and summer duvets to bring over thinking I would never use the Winter.....boy was I wrong!! We left the heating on some nights until we heard all the stories about the high gas bills, yip the heating got quickly turned off and the winter duvets came out their wrappers :-) lovely during the day though, you can still get out and about and some afternoons are lovely and mild. Supposedly last year was the coldest on record so fingers crossed this year might be better.

i agree, Canberra drivers are the worst. We lived in Southern Ireland for the past 11 years and I thought they were bad. Dodging tractors on the motorways now its dodging loons that haven't worked out a merging lane means you merge, not stop at the start blocking the lane until the traffic stops going past!!! Just make sure you have good brakes and you will be fine :-)

Canberra is a lovely city for families, nothing is too far away as far as commutes go. Loads of swing parks, BBQ areas and parks for the kids. You can pack up the bikes and spend the day cycling around and having a picnic. I love the war memorial, well really I love the cafe in there. It's their roast rolls that get me every time :-)

Defo don't compare £ to $, it does make things seem more expensive. Wine is fair priced :-) beer is bloody expensive!!

As to making friends we have been very lucky to meet a great bunch on here and we usually have something going on every fortnight whether its curry night or last weeks Greek goddess and warier night. Hhhhhmmmm Gangnam style while wearing a toga isn't such a good idea. You will find like minded people be they poms or Aussies. It just like the kids starting school, it takes a while to get to know people but its worth the effort :-) We have been lucky with our neighbours too and they are all a friendly bunch.

Anyway don't fret too much enjoy getting caught up in the excitement and things will work out. If you need any help when you arrive just let me know. Oh and if you can will you stick me some macaroon in your suitcase pleaaaasssseee , my mum keeps forgetting to post some over to me ..lol.. :-) The strange things you miss!! Been making tablet like a loon and you can buy tablet here but no one has macaroon :-) you can get slice too though its ok but not the same. While we are at it a half cheese pizza supper from the chipper would be greatly appreciated too......

Not long now until you arrive. I'm sure it will all go well and give us a shout.

Hi Jeffries

We have been in Canberra for a year now and really settled in. Everyone seems to be different with finding rentals. We were lucky my hubby's company rented a house for us for 2 months when we arrived. We however found a house within 4 weeks and really had no problems. Be prepared though some of the houses on the rental market are rotten!!! How they can live with themselves renting them I have no idea oh yeah probably the 2-3k a month :-) I was shocked though at the state of some of them. You do get the nice sparkly new suburbs but you sacrifice garden space. We brought our 2 little woofs with us and to tell you the truth we had no problems finding a house to take them. Touch wood though as we are having a nosy on all homes and if something jumps out at us then we are happy to move, might be harder to find somewhere with woofs again. Mind you we have excellent references having had them in the house. Just spotted your post about rehoming the woofs...awwww my heart goes out to you all. One of the hardest things to do in the world!!

We ended up in Melba, wasn't top of my list, wasn't even on my list however we came to see it after looking at rotter in Aranda and the new kitchen and swimming pool won out. Our 9 year old is in Mount Rogers PS and loves it. Schooling is different here but no point comparing to UK if you plan on staying forever. If we stay around this area we will use private HS though as Copeland High School is meant to be awful. The HS here don't have a great rep. Mind you I have heard some horror stories regarding the private schools too.

Defo bring your winter Woolies!! Bloody freezing at night last year. I bought new winter and summer duvets to bring over thinking I would never use the Winter.....boy was I wrong!! We left the heating on some nights until we heard all the stories about the high gas bills, yip the heating got quickly turned off and the winter duvets came out their wrappers :-) lovely during the day though, you can still get out and about and some afternoons are lovely and mild. Supposedly last year was the coldest on record so fingers crossed this year might be better.

i agree, Canberra drivers are the worst. We lived in Southern Ireland for the past 11 years and I thought they were bad. Dodging tractors on the motorways now its dodging loons that haven't worked out a merging lane means you merge, not stop at the start blocking the lane until the traffic stops going past!!! Just make sure you have good brakes and you will be fine :-)

Canberra is a lovely city for families, nothing is too far away as far as commutes go. Loads of swing parks, BBQ areas and parks for the kids. You can pack up the bikes and spend the day cycling around and having a picnic. I love the war memorial, well really I love the cafe in there. It's their roast rolls that get me every time :-)

Defo don't compare £ to $, it does make things seem more expensive. Wine is fair priced :-) beer is bloody expensive!!

As to making friends we have been very lucky to meet a great bunch on here and we usually have something going on every fortnight whether its curry night or last weeks Greek goddess and warier night. Hhhhhmmmm Gangnam style while wearing a toga isn't such a good idea. You will find like minded people be they poms or Aussies. It just like the kids starting school, it takes a while to get to know people but its worth the effort :-) We have been lucky with our neighbours too and they are all a friendly bunch.

Anyway don't fret too much enjoy getting caught up in the excitement and things will work out. If you need any help when you arrive just let me know. Oh and if you can will you stick me some macaroon in your suitcase pleaaaasssseee , my mum keeps forgetting to post some over to me ..lol.. :-) The strange things you miss!! Been making tablet like a loon and you can buy tablet here but no one has macaroon :-) you can get slice too though its ok but not the same. While we are at it a half cheese pizza supper from the chipper would be greatly appreciated too......

Not long now until you arrive. I'm sure it will all go well and give us a shout.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post. This has been so informative and with only 6 weeks to go until we fly - it is all becoming so much more real. We are feeling very positive about the move and are looking forward to settling asap. Finding a good rental is my main worry - as you said there are some shockingly awful rentals that I see nightly on the websites and right now the brand new homes up in Bonner seem rather appealing. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we are staying in a hotel for the first 10 days when we arrive with the plan and hope to try and secure a rental within that time - wish me luck!!! I have read so much about the areas but I think I just need to get in the car and start driving around as soon as we land. The car leaves us this Friday to join our furniture in the container so fingers crossed it arrives safely and clears customs easily.

As our house sold and the visas came through in the same week we have moved to suffolk to stay with Granny until we leave. The kids had to then go to the local village school and have since made great friends and are now loathe to leave this school aswell - feel awful taking them out yet again to then move to Canberra where hopefully we will get them settled into a good primary.

I am so pleased for you that you were able to find a good rental that took dogs - I have not really allowed myself to think too much about my girls with all that is going on but I know they are now happy and settled in their new home which is all I can ask. Does anyone know of some good stables that my 9 year old daughter could go to as she will want to get started asap and can't normally go a week without being in the saddle!!

We can't believe how bad the exchange rate is and are trying not to think about what the rate will be when we take the plunge and transfer our funds over. Yes, I have already decided not to compare £ to $ but as long a the wine is not too expensive I will be happy :biggrin:. One question, do you get Cadbury chocolate? Not for me, for the kids naturally.

Thank you for your kind offer to provide us with any help - I may well take you up on the offer and I will ofcourse get some macaroon for you to keep you going for a while!

We got into the habit of putting a chilli in the slow cooker in the morning...then looking forward to eating it at night when the temperature drops.

Just wondering how we'll find this winter now we've acclimatised and lost that British thicker blood. Couldn't argue with the winter though, hardly any rain and bright sunny days. If British winters had have been this good we might not have decided to move.

Kerrabee National Equestrian Centre is great for your daughter's age I think. You don't just get the lesson....you arrive early to find your pony, brush it, check the hooves, collect the saddle etc, put saddle and bridle on.....they'll teach you how to do all this so you can do it every time by yourself eventually....then you have your lesson....then you unsaddle the pony, give it a drink etc. It's the whole horse care experience, and not just the ride, all for the price of the lesson. We found it really good for our daughter. She was a Junior Staff volunteer and went all day on the weekends, but I think you have to be 13 for that.

Guest Ptp113
Thanks Blooroo that is great and I will certainly call them when we arrive. My daughter is used to the whole horse care experience which I believe is the way it should be so they learn all about horses and how to care for them. Thanks again.

My 14 yr old daughter has a horse just up the road from Kerrabee (Riverview), welcome to come out and have a look. A few poms agist there

Hi again

Woolies have international aisle and do uk chocolate. There are also sweet shops that stock uk sweets :-) irn bru is easy to find. You can also get Vimto etc....the little sweet shop in Gold Creek have a great selection. Bloody expensive though!! Our 9 year old doesn't mind Oz choccies it's me that misses the good stuff. I usually get a care package sent over every few months. Keeps me going plus anyone from work going home know to bring me back Minstrels!! The things that keep you happy :-)

Xxxxxx

Hi again

Woolies have international aisle and do uk chocolate. There are also sweet shops that stock uk sweets :-) irn bru is easy to find. You can also get Vimto etc....the little sweet shop in Gold Creek have a great selection. Bloody expensive though!! Our 9 year old doesn't mind Oz choccies it's me that misses the good stuff. I usually get a care package sent over every few months. Keeps me going plus anyone from work going home know to bring me back Minstrels!! The things that keep you happy :-)

Xxxxxx

Thanks Sunshine for the great news - we will definetly take a trip to Woolies and Gold Creek. I was interested to hear you can bring food into the country as I had been told by those that watch the Australian Custom programmes on Sky that you couldn't bring any form of food in your luggage into the country. If thats not the case, I'll be bringing a stash of chocolate - again for the kids ofcourse to keep them happy ;-). If anyone has any orders let me know.

• 1 year later...

Hello guys,

just wandering if there is anyone out there that is from the UK, or anyone looking to catch up for a coffee, kids play etc? I have a 6 year old son and 7 year old daughter and live in amaroo. I have lived here for 2 years and looking to meet new people.

let me know if you fancy it

cheers

Faye

My daughter used to ride there but we changed to Gooroman Park as she had been kicked and bitten several times in as many weeks at Kerabee.

For insurance reasons parents weren't allowed to assist, the few instructors were always busy instructing and quite often she was allocated horses that were so big she couldn't reach up to saddle them. As she was only seven at the time we thought it was all getting a bit too chaotic and dangerous.

Up at Gooroman Park my daughter still does all the horse care activities but there's almost always instructors around to supervise and keep it safe. They have quite a good Facebook page if you want to take a look.

• 5 weeks later...
Hello guys,

just wandering if there is anyone out there that is from the UK, or anyone looking to catch up for a coffee, kids play etc? I have a 6 year old son and 7 year old daughter and live in amaroo. I have lived here for 2 years and looking to meet new people.

let me know if you fancy it

cheers

Faye

Hi Faye we are in Bonner and have a son who is at Good shepherd Primary and is 6. We are always looking to add some friends be good to catch up. You never know me might have seen each other.