Moving to Canberra in April With 2 Children - Advice Appreciated

thejeffreysinscotland

I cannot see a recent thread for families moving to Canberra (apologies if there is one). I just wanted to say hi with the hope that some of the families whose posts I have read are now settled and can share some of their experiences. We are moving from Scotland via Suffolk in April - the house is sold and we move out end of January. We have a permanent residency visa that has been state sponsored and my husband will give his 3 months notice in a couple of weeks. We have a girl of 9 and a boy of 7 and I have been doing quite a bit of research as to the best places to live.

We don't know as yet where my husband will work but know that commuting time is not too bad so we are happy to move to the suburbs. Can I ask anyone what their experience was obtaining a house to rent as we want to be in a good area, with good schools (what everyone wants I know) - was there a lot of competition? Did you have to pay more than the advertised weekly rate etc?

We received our visa's 2 weeks ago and the enormity of what is in front of us is quite daunting. I lived abroad for 20 years of my life in HK, Japan and S Korea so I am used to change and different countries but not with a husband and 2 kids in tow and I just want to get as much info as possible before the big move from personal experience of fellow posters and not just from reading the internet. I hope you will be able to help and give me some much needed advice.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's one of those how long is a piece of string type questions! Everyone is different and IIRC you are moving with a couple of big dogs as well which will be more of an issue than the kids!

Canberra is generally pretty good although there are parts of most suburbs you might choose not to live in and there is a clear North/South divide which people tend not to transgress! As a Northsider you couldn't pay me enough to live in Tuggeranong for example but many of my friends wouldn't think of living anywhere else. Most Canberrans choose their residence more on distance and access to the workplace so getting a job is going to be your first priority (also makes you more attractive as tenants and the rental market is hugely competitive although you will be arriving at a good time).

jobs for PRs can be hard to find as Canberra is a Public Service town and many job vacancies are restricted to citizens or are short term contracts rather than permanent positions.

general rule of thumb is that the further out from the centres you go, the newer the builds and the smaller the blocks and cheaper the rents. If you are very lucky you might get a house on 1/4 acre in the inner suburbs but the house will be older and less modern than perhaps you are expecting.

Schools are much of a muchness and tend to reflect the socio economic mix of the suburb in which they are housed. Around 50% of parents choose to send their kids to private schools, the fees for which range from $3K pa to around 15K pa. in your previous threads people suggested you look outside ACT for rentals to accommodate your big dogs - Wamboin, Sutton, Michelago and places like that - if you do opt for more rural then be aware that most of those places are in NSW and, as such potentially restrict your access to some ACT services such as schools. Hall is a nice ACT rural setting but you would need to be quite well heeled to find something there.

arriving in April, don't be surprised at how cold the winter will be - take your woollies! Apparently last winter was a ripper with over 50 consecutive overnights in the minuses and though that won't seem cold coming from Scotland, the houses, especially rental homes, are often not built for those temps and heating them can be a very expensive business.

Good luck, as Australian cities go, it's one of the better places to live although there will be plenty who will tell you hat it's a hole! (Milton Keynes on steroids!). Personally I recommend the inner North suburbs but I am prejudiced!

edited to add - for rentals http://www.allhomes.com.au pretty much has the monopoly and you can't go past http://the-riotact.com/ for anything and everything you will ever need to know about living in Canberra!

Edited by Quoll

Many thanks Quoll for taking the time to reply - your advice is very much appreciated. With regards to the dogs we have made the heart wrenching decision not to bring them out so they will remain in the UK with the hope that once we purchase a property we can send them out. We therefore want to focus all our energy into getting a good rental in the suburbs and your point that it is in April makes me hope we won't have so much competition in acquiring a rental. Our lives right now are all based on ifs,buts and maybe's which is very unsettling but will be worth it in the end!!!

Many thanks Quoll for taking the time to reply - your advice is very much appreciated. With regards to the dogs we have made the heart wrenching decision not to bring them out so they will remain in the UK with the hope that once we purchase a property we can send them out. We therefore want to focus all our energy into getting a good rental in the suburbs and your point that it is in April makes me hope we won't have so much competition in acquiring a rental. Our lives right now are all based on ifs,buts and maybe's which is very unsettling but will be worth it in the end!!!

Best place to live in Australia by a mile but now ridiculously popular and consequently very expensive real estate. New subuurbs appear Almost overnight with construction teams from all over Oz but they can't keep up with demand. We are looking for a rural property for our horse but I may have to rob a bank!

I cannot see a recent thread for families moving to Canberra (apologies if there is one). I just wanted to say hi with the hope that some of the families whose posts I have read are now settled and can share some of their experiences. We are moving from Scotland via Suffolk in April - the house is sold and we move out end of January. We have a permanent residency visa that has been state sponsored and my husband will give his 3 months notice in a couple of weeks. We have a girl of 9 and a boy of 7 and I have been doing quite a bit of research as to the best places to live.

We don't know as yet where my husband will work but know that commuting time is not too bad so we are happy to move to the suburbs. Can I ask anyone what their experience was obtaining a house to rent as we want to be in a good area, with good schools (what everyone wants I know) - was there a lot of competition? Did you have to pay more than the advertised weekly rate etc?

We received our visa's 2 weeks ago and the enormity of what is in front of us is quite daunting. I lived abroad for 20 years of my life in HK, Japan and S Korea so I am used to change and different countries but not with a husband and 2 kids in tow and I just want to get as much info as possible before the big move from personal experience of fellow posters and not just from reading the internet. I hope you will be able to help and give me some much needed advice.

Snap!!!! we currently live in Suffolk and move to Canberra on April 1st 2013 and we are doing the research bit at the moment and I've been offered a job and will need to move fast on finding a rental.

Snap!!!! we currently live in Suffolk and move to Canberra on April 1st 2013 and we are doing the research bit at the moment and I've been offered a job and will need to move fast on finding a rental.

You wont get a rental before you arrive, aim for a holiday rental or motel for 4-6 weeks. Landlords will want the eyeball test along with evidence of your employment/capacity to pay. Good luck - it's definitely not going to be like Suffolk!

Yeah, the rental is something that you just have to show patience with and not panic...it will sort itself out after you arrive. Some people manage to arrange one before they arrive (or a house swap), but it's sight unseen and might not be what you want after you've arrived.

Short term accommodation (google canberra furnished accommodation) is a good way to go, but expensive. You need a base to get settled, somewhere to lodge as a temporary address while you get Medicare, driving license, arrange mobiles, buy a car etc..

It's also good to have a kettle, toaster, washing machine/dryer , TV and kitchen over the first month or so, especially with kids, and even more especially before your container has arrived because living out of a suitcase grinds after a month. It costs, but relieves the stress and helps you get a good start and a bit of comfort.

You will definitely need somewhere short-term before you arrive. Try stayz.com.au or google furnished accommodation as suggested above, as you need a temp address for everything useful (Medicare, TFO, car rego...) and you can't get a long-term rental without seeing the house. We took the approach that we were going to be in our rental accommodation for a year, not forever, and applied for absolutely everything that seemed like it would be ok, which got us a house in the space of 4 days. That was in February when the rental market is at it's busiest. If you can get to weekday open homes you have much less competition than if you're just going to the weekend ones, so it was really helpful that my hubs wasn't working straight away like I was and could go to those. Houses do go very quickly and it's worth being prepared to hand over an application on the spot if you see a house you like.

Having 4 weeks in a short term rental also gives you a bit of time to look around the areas, and suss out which schools you like the look of, before moving into a 6 or 12 month rental contract. You will find there is a northside/southside mentality as mentioned elsewhere. We much preferred the southside - we spent our first 4 weeks living northside and exploring across the whole city. But it does depend what sort of place you're looking for. North has a lot more of the newer blocks than south, for example, but we prefer the older housing on bigger blocks!

We didn't have to pay more than the advertised rate anywhere, we did have to prove we had the finances to pay the rent of course, especially if you're not employed when you arrive.

What sort of work will your husband be looking for? Some fields are much easier to get work in than others round here, because of the nature of the city.

Definitely pack the woollies if you're arriving in April, we hit our first minus figures overnight in late April this year and it was a very cold winter. If you're coming from Scotland the days will seem warm (maximums around 12-15), but the nights can regularly go down to -5 or -7 so be prepared for that.

Anything else you want to know, feel free to give us a shout!

You wont get a rental before you arrive, aim for a holiday rental or motel for 4-6 weeks. Landlords will want the eyeball test along with evidence of your employment/capacity to pay. Good luck - it's definitely not going to be like Suffolk!

Hi Quoll, we have a short term rental already and have phoned a few rental companies and they do advise on viewing properties but you can book from here if you wanted to as Century 21 do it but we prefer to look at them ourselves. I used to live in OZ so I am aware of the difference thats why I'm moving from Suffolk!!!

Guest Bazinga

Have you looked at allhomes.com.au? In my experience budget tends to drive where you will end up to a certain extent. I like Belconnen and we live in Dunlop which is fairly west so all we have on one side is mountains. Fraser is just above us and the school is pretty good there. Kaleen offers bigish yards but older houses. Nichols is nice and there's a proper PUB not far from it too!

Guest Bazinga

I arrived in April last year and it was cold but not as cold as i thought it would be during the day, get a good coat. Karrimor has sales all the time. I have two kids and the main issue I have is lack of day care for my youngest but you won't have that issue. Lots of different clubs for them to join, my eldest does swimming, AFL and athletics.

We need two cars due to logistics but you might cope with one. Make sure your Dr is bulk billing. With Centrelink double check everything, on a PR you should get some sort of payments.

Join Costco and don't constantly convert $ to £ or you might cry. I love Canberra and I wouldn't move for love nor money!

Places to see when you get here - Questacon, Tidbinbilla, Cotter Dam, Cockington Green, The Mint, The zoo and the two lakes. Lots of great places for BBQs. Hall markets also good as are the bus depot markets.

Fyshwick market good for fruit and veg as is Belconnen markets.

Good luck

I arrived in April last year and it was cold but not as cold as i thought it would be during the day, get a good coat. Karrimor has sales all the time. I have two kids and the main issue I have is lack of day care for my youngest but you won't have that issue. Lots of different clubs for them to join, my eldest does swimming, AFL and athletics.

We need two cars due to logistics but you might cope with one. Make sure your Dr is bulk billing. With Centrelink double check everything, on a PR you should get some sort of payments.

Join Costco and don't constantly convert $ to £ or you might cry. I love Canberra and I wouldn't move for love nor money!

Places to see when you get here - Questacon, Tidbinbilla, Cotter Dam, Cockington Green, The Mint, The zoo and the two lakes. Lots of great places for BBQs. Hall markets also good as are the bus depot markets.

Fyshwick market good for fruit and veg as is Belconnen markets.

Good luck

Wow, you found a decent bulk billing doctor? Scarcer than hens teeth in Canberra!!!

and don't forget the Saturday Farmers Market at Mitchell and Trash and Treasure on Sundays at Jammo!

Guest Bazinga
Wow, you found a decent bulk billing doctor? Scarcer than hens teeth in Canberra!!!

and don't forget the Saturday Farmers Market at Mitchell and Trash and Treasure on Sundays at Jammo!

Don't forget your vaccination records! They need HepB done. West Belconnen Health Centre is pretty good, happy there.

Fyshwick market good for fruit and veg as is Belconnen markets. Forget the Mint and do the War Memorial instead, particularly downstairs that most miss seeing.

Good luck

you miised the two real farmers markets, CRFM at EPIC on Saturdays, and Southside Farmers Market on Sundays

Guest Bazinga
you miised the two real farmers markets, CRFM at EPIC on Saturdays, and Southside Farmers Market on Sundays

Not a fan of CRFM not been to the other

Not a fan of CRFM not been to the other

How long since you have been? Food Lovers Australia rated CRFM as the countries best farmers market by the way, and it's grown a fair bit since then.

Guest Bazinga
How long since you have been? Food Lovers Australia rated CRFM as the countries best farmers market by the way, and it's grown a fair bit since then.

Maybe we will give it another go. Just used to better.

Moorlands Biodynamic Lamb is better than organic and as good as you'll find anywhere on the planet. The frenched rack is simply superb. Available from CRFM or pre-order.

http://www.biodynamiclamb.com.au/Home

That's what I said!!! Vince and his wife are great people and occasionally have open days at their place - DH helped out with a working bee one year when they got flooded. Their biodynamic approach is second to none (apparently!). Since DH stopped buying from them they probably need someone to take his place, he was a stalwart customer!

Ok Quoll! Sorry! Do you know anyone who does other grass fed meats?

Both farmers markets (CRFM and Southside) have multiple meat suppliers of high quality, mainly organic or free range. Great beef from a lady near Hall at CRFM, and Saltbush Lamb suppliers there too.