Am I crazy??

Missus B

You are young , free and single ... go for it Missus B ...

Hi well this is my story, we have lived in Sydney before, back in 2008, we spent about 18months here, liked it but just wasnt for us, I had a problem teenager and needed my family around us, we settled back into the Uk really well enjoyed life! But my husbands old company would email him trying to tempt him back with the promise of high salary good prospects etc..,. sounded good, almost too good, so on the promise of a good wage, and his old boss had left, he was told the bosses job was now his! great step in the right direction we thought. Looking on Seek from the uk, looked like there were loads of jobs for me, fab, how great we were both heading back with our youngest son, husband would have a great job on a 457 visa, and I'd surely be able to find a job, there are so many about! excellent!

The reality has been very disappointing, husband job, turns out he's doing about the same job as last time! no bosses job! actually the old boss might be coming back! husband not happy as he left a senior position in the uk! So the in house recruitment girl, has told lies to get him over here, so ultimately she can have her bonus, when husband questioned company there seemed to be a shrug shoulder policy if all else fails!

Also I have applied for over 30 jobs on various websites, mainly Seek, half the jobs don't exist anymore, and need taking off the site, had two really good second interviews, great feedback, then nothing! have now starting applying for jobs in retail, still no joy, spoken to a friend who's in recruitment he says the job market is pretty flat and has been for the past year!

Also the cost of living is ridiculous! I know Sydney is a city much like London, but the price of some of the food is just so inflated! I expect the rents to be high, but I'm sure there not worth it, we live in an expensive area, but the house it's self is really nothing special at all.

So basically I'm having a moan we've been here since September, husbands job not any better etc...

We have decided to return back to the Uk next year we're talking Feb / March, yes very expensive holiday, husband has good contract lined up, and I have a job in the pipeline doing my usual Account Manager work, family are really happy we're coming home, and to be honest the grass wasn't greener for us, so why wait for things to change when I look at the bigger picture I know where I'd rather be :)

This has been a pretty bad experience for us, and I would never ever think about coming back to Oz after this.

Husband hasn't handed his notice in yet, but will be after Christmas, I think alot may come out, the managing director doesn't know what the recruitment girl is saying to people when she's head hunting!!! she is an idiot, she doesn't care about anyone, as long as she gets her commission, we trusted her as we know her quite well, also the company have always been ok, but just shows you what lengths people will go to, to get the deal/money!

So I'm off back home in Feb, flights not booked yet but will be so excited when they are, my 12year old is happy to be going home too, husband wants to go as soon as :)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi well this is my story, we have lived in Sydney before, back in 2008, we spent about 18months here, liked it but just wasnt for us, I had a problem teenager and needed my family around us, we settled back into the Uk really well enjoyed life! But my husbands old company would email him trying to tempt him back with the promise of high salary good prospects etc..,. sounded good, almost too good, so on the promise of a good wage, and his old boss had left, he was told the bosses job was now his! great step in the right direction we thought. Looking on Seek from the uk, looked like there were loads of jobs for me, fab, how great we were both heading back with our youngest son, husband would have a great job on a 457 visa, and I'd surely be able to find a job, there are so many about! excellent!

The reality has been very disappointing, husband job, turns out he's doing about the same job as last time! no bosses job! actually the old boss might be coming back! husband not happy as he left a senior position in the uk! So the in house recruitment girl, has told lies to get him over here, so ultimately she can have her bonus, when husband questioned company there seemed to be a shrug shoulder policy if all else fails!

Also I have applied for over 30 jobs on various websites, mainly Seek, half the jobs don't exist anymore, and need taking off the site, had two really good second interviews, great feedback, then nothing! have now starting applying for jobs in retail, still no joy, spoken to a friend who's in recruitment he says the job market is pretty flat and has been for the past year!

Also the cost of living is ridiculous! I know Sydney is a city much like London, but the price of some of the food is just so inflated! I expect the rents to be high, but I'm sure there not worth it, we live in an expensive area, but the house it's self is really nothing special at all.

So basically I'm having a moan we've been here since September, husbands job not any better etc...

We have decided to return back to the Uk next year we're talking Feb / March, yes very expensive holiday, husband has good contract lined up, and I have a job in the pipeline doing my usual Account Manager work, family are really happy we're coming home, and to be honest the grass wasn't greener for us, so why wait for things to change when I look at the bigger picture I know where I'd rather be :)

This has been a pretty bad experience for us, and I would never ever think about coming back to Oz after this.

Husband hasn't handed his notice in yet, but will be after Christmas, I think alot may come out, the managing director doesn't know what the recruitment girl is saying to people when she's head hunting!!! she is an idiot, she doesn't care about anyone, as long as she gets her commission, we trusted her as we know her quite well, also the company have always been ok, but just shows you what lengths people will go to, to get the deal/money!

So I'm off back home in Feb, flights not booked yet but will be so excited when they are, my 12year old is happy to be going home too, husband wants to go as soon as :)

Sounds like you have had a rough ride, at least you will be back for the start of spring and summer to follow.

Archived