Who Do I tell??

ftmummy

Hi calling all those that have made the move already or anyone else that may know.......my family and I are off to QLD in the new year and I was just wondering if anyone knew as to whether I needed to let any local authority/council etc in the UK know that we are emgrating?? might be a silly question but dont want to leave and then end up getting any comeback/problems for not declaring it if we need to! and are we still entitled to child benefit from UK until we become permament residents in Oz (we are going on sponsored working visa and wont be able to claim residence until 1-2yrs), hope someone can help x

Hi calling all those that have made the move already or anyone else that may know.......my family and I are off to QLD in the new year and I was just wondering if anyone knew as to whether I needed to let any local authority/council etc in the UK know that we are emgrating?? might be a silly question but dont want to leave and then end up getting any comeback/problems for not declaring it if we need to! and are we still entitled to child benefit from UK until we become permament residents in Oz (we are going on sponsored working visa and wont be able to claim residence until 1-2yrs), hope someone can help x

As far as I am aware you would not be entitled to child benefit and would need to inform HM Revenue that you are intending on emigrating to Australia. If you have been working you should get a tax refund but will need to fill out the correct forms etc. (there are forum posts about this) I don't think that if your are "emigrating" on a temp visa initially with PR after two years that this would be considered as temporarily leaving as you do expect to be away for more than 52 weeks.

The HMRV website says

"Going abroad permanently'Permanently' means you are leaving the UK for good, or you expect to be away for more than 52 weeks when you leave.

You could still get your Child Benefit payments if you move to another European country. The situations when this applies are explained in the sections above.

You must tell the Child Benefit Office if you or your partner go abroad permanently. You can do this online by using the first link below, or you can call the Child Benefit Helpline.

Going abroad temporarily 'Temporarily' means you don't expect to be away for more than 52 weeks from the time you leave. If you go abroad temporarily, you can still get your Child Benefit payments:

• for the first 8 weeks - it doesn't matter why you're away or which country you go to

• for the first 12 weeks - if you have to go anywhere abroad because you or a member of your family (for example your partner, child, a brother, sister or grandparent) are getting treatment for an illness, or a physical or mental disability

• for the first 12 weeks - if you have to go anywhere abroad because a member of your family has died

You still need to meet the normal qualifying rules for Child Benefit. For example, your child must be under 16 or in education or training that counts for Child Benefit.

You must tell the Child Benefit Office if you go abroad temporarily for more than eight weeks. You can do this online by using the first link below, or you can call the Child Benefit Helpline."

Being 'resident' and being a 'permanent resident' are two completely different things. Same as being British and 'resident' in the UK are.

If you leave the UK to live somewhere else you are not a 'resident' but of course you are still British.

Same as having PR for Australia you will keep even if living in the UK but you wont be 'resident' in Australia.

We are on a 457 and not entitled to anything either here or in the UK. You need to let them know definitely. The question was about how long you will be out of the UK I believe rather than anything about your resident status abroad.

We let the council know as we are renting out our house so not liable for the council tax on it and actually got a rebate which was nice (as we left in the "free months" you get at the end of the tax year).

• 6 months later...

Hi, I know this thread is a little odl but hoping someone will know the answer. When do you tell local authorities and ctc etc? I know when you move house within the country they want you to have actually moved before they'll update anything but do they really expect you to arrange all this once you arrive in Oz or do they allow you to set it up in advance?

No for now they are paid through LA but I believe it's about to change back to DWp through the universal benefits.Also surely you need to tell LA about council taxalso. They're another wait til you've moved lot

No for now they are paid through LA but I believe it's about to change back to DWp through the universal benefits.Also surely you need to tell LA about council taxalso. They're another wait til you've moved lot

Pretty sure I told them ahead of time

Didn't know about how benefits are paid

Archived