How long do you give it in one place?

nicolac34

Just wondering if anyone had any pearls of wisdom for us really!

Feel like we’re a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place. I’ve been sponsored by my company on the RSMS visa, started working for them in September 2011, visa granted in May 2012, so actually only done six months of my two years.

Husband got let go from his company in August, and so far has had very little interest – his occupation is fairly niche, in the time he’s been looking (since June really) there have only been about 3 vacancies he could go for and of those 3 they’ve decided he’s too junior and he didn’t get an interview.

Now the dilemma. We quite like Perth, we’d like to stay and buy a house. My brother is here and my parents are planning to move here, we’ve started to make friends and have a social life, I’ve only done 6 months of my 2 years (I’ll add that I don’t really like my job)… but there are a lot more jobs in his (and my) field over east in Sydney.

At what point should we think about making the move to where there are jobs for both of us? How long should we stick at it in Perth waiting for the right job for him – or do you think we need to stick another 18 months no matter what?

And he has been trying for anything and everything too, he’s happy to change careers to get a job, all he wants is something with potential/prospects for the future.

Thankfully my money is enough to live on without him working, but only enough to survive, not enough to be happy.

I'd say it might be worth you both coming over to Sydney for a week or so and try and get some interviews to see what the chances really are - and to see how you feel about the city and where you might be able to live/want to live

Start point has to be visa restrictions though as that will stymie any plan

Just wondering if anyone had any pearls of wisdom for us really!

Feel like we’re a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place. I’ve been sponsored by my company on the RSMS visa, started working for them in September 2011, visa granted in May 2012, so actually only done six months of my two years.

Husband got let go from his company in August, and so far has had very little interest – his occupation is fairly niche, in the time he’s been looking (since June really) there have only been about 3 vacancies he could go for and of those 3 they’ve decided he’s too junior and he didn’t get an interview.

Now the dilemma. We quite like Perth, we’d like to stay and buy a house. My brother is here and my parents are planning to move here, we’ve started to make friends and have a social life, I’ve only done 6 months of my 2 years (I’ll add that I don’t really like my job)… but there are a lot more jobs in his (and my) field over east in Sydney.

At what point should we think about making the move to where there are jobs for both of us? How long should we stick at it in Perth waiting for the right job for him – or do you think we need to stick another 18 months no matter what?

And he has been trying for anything and everything too, he’s happy to change careers to get a job, all he wants is something with potential/prospects for the future.

Thankfully my money is enough to live on without him working, but only enough to survive, not enough to be happy.

Things tend to go a bit quite on the job front from now until after Christmas, I would definitely wait until about Feb and see what comes up. It's good your hubby is looking for other positions, it's strange what comes out of left field sometimes and hopefully something will turn up. I was out of work for 5 months when we first came, loved Perth though and didn't consider moving anywhere else, my wife had a job which kept us going but it wasn't a nice feeling being out of work, destroys confidence and self esteem. When I got a job I was so excited and really felt like I'd arrived properly and was able to contribute.

Sydney and a lot of other places round Oz are nice but Sydney is a much bigger city and is a bit of a rat race in comparison. Everyone seems just much more competitive and willing to stab fellow workmates in the back. Our head office is over there and the work environment is totally different to here.

Good luck.

Just checked VEVO and there are no conditions attached to our visa, and to be honest I'm not sure my employer is even switched on enough to know about the two year condition.

We realise the time of year might be against us now, so we are sort of thinking give it until March/April next year to see if things pick up after the new year.

We're also off to Sydney for new year so will probably scout around to see if it would be a place for us - I think it would be as we did live in London before coming to Perth and OH is always saying it's a bit quiet for him. We wouldn't make the move before one of us had managed to secure a decent job, wouldn't make sense to move lock stock with none of us working!

Doesn't so much bother me leaving the family ties here (OH would be delighted!!) but it is hard making friends, so would be tough to start over again in that regard.

In an ideal world he'll get a brilliant job lined up to start in January and we can just stay here! :biggrin:

Archived