Rentals in Sydney

carlosK

Hi All,

I have been reading a few posts on here re: rentals in Oz and I feel totally stressed and sick! We are due to arrive in Sydney early Dec and are looking for a place to rent. For what I am being told, it's really, really difficult to secure a rental property!! There appears to be lots of rental properties on domain.com.au and realestate.com.au or am I being niave?! We are looking for rentals in and around Waterloo, Randwick, Coogee areas!

Does anyone have anyone have advice for us? Or any suggestions for short-term/holiday rentals to get us through the next while.

Thanx c x

I don't think it is as stressful here as seems to be frequently reported from Perth

Having said that, there is competition for good places so you need to be prepared: Get your references etc in order so you are ready to go with an application as soon as you see something you like

Estate agents like to do the "open house" system for viewing rentals: Partly because it saves them making multiple visits, partly because it stokes up anxiety amongst would-be tenants so they feel they are competing harder. Not a lot you can do about it, it's just the way it is

Getting a short term rental really is the best way forward - you really need to get a feel for the areas you have shortlisted, you can't really do it from abroad. And in any case it is very difficult to enter a rental contract when you're not even here, most agents won't entertain it even if you would want to (which tbh you don't really because you just can't tell from internet photos). It can be done, but only if you have someone acting for you over here, eg a family member or relocator, but even then it's not easy. So the best way for most is to take a short term rental and search from there

Early December is a funny time. You might just get lucky as many prospective tenants may want to move in January after the holidays (they might not have time to get themselves organised by Xmas) so if you're prepared to move fast, you might well be an attractive proposition for a landlord as they won't lose 2 or 3 weeks rent

You don't say your family situation, needless to say it's always easier if you don't have pets and usually easier if you're looking for a flat/unit, I think, from listening to people here

You should be able to secure a furnished short term rental for a couple of months? I stayed in a place in Darlinghurst at the City end of Oxford St with my parents in between moves. I still see that place on Domain. Once you are in there, you can look around at your leisure, and you can always extend your stay?

Hotels will be booked up over Xmas and New Year in Sydney.

Guest Elevate Property Group

Hi C,

It can be difficult if you don't know what to expect and are unfamiliar with how we operate here!

This time of year is usually tough to find a rental property but if you have the following elements in place you will be better off!

- written references for job and previous rental accomodation

- bank statements to showcase you are able to pay the rent

- photo ID including passport and drivers licence

- clear and neat application forms

cheers and good luck!

Edited by Elevate Property Group
Forum rules

Guest guest71686

I think the difficulty is massively overstated we have applied for 3 places since we moved to australia last year all in month of october which real estates will tell you is peak peak peak time just heading into summer and we were offered all three. We are just moving to a 2 bed flat in Drummoyne with a double garage of all things in a quiet block, when we looked there were 20 viewings and our application was one of three that actually applied. I think most people are timewasters hoping to find the worlds greatest flat at half its market value (which will obviously never happen).

Northshorepom is right its all a plan to make everyone panic into bad decisions

Good tennants that arent on a working holiday visa sharing between 5 are hard to find IMO

We secured a 12 month lease after only being in the country a week. We spent a day going to open houses and saw perhaps 12 properties. We fell in love with one and applied that day. We had no wifi, no computers, no faxes and no printer. We used our smartphones to take screen shots of UK bank accounts and took photos of our new Aus bank statements and work contracts as well as our ID. We sent them as attachments to emails along with all the application forms and hoped and prayed that would be legit enough.

Despite the Property agency being very strict, they were happy with this evidence and we beat out all the other applicants and secured the property.

I would make sure you have the documents in order and ready to go, and research the areas you want to live before you arrive.

Good luck!

I don't think it is as stressful here as seems to be frequently reported from Perth

Having said that, there is competition for good places so you need to be prepared: Get your references etc in order so you are ready to go with an application as soon as you see something you like

Estate agents like to do the "open house" system for viewing rentals: Partly because it saves them making multiple visits, partly because it stokes up anxiety amongst would-be tenants so they feel they are competing harder. Not a lot you can do about it, it's just the way it is

Getting a short term rental really is the best way forward - you really need to get a feel for the areas you have shortlisted, you can't really do it from abroad. And in any case it is very difficult to enter a rental contract when you're not even here, most agents won't entertain it even if you would want to (which tbh you don't really because you just can't tell from internet photos). It can be done, but only if you have someone acting for you over here, eg a family member or relocator, but even then it's not easy. So the best way for most is to take a short term rental and search from there

Early December is a funny time. You might just get lucky as many prospective tenants may want to move in January after the holidays (they might not have time to get themselves organised by Xmas) so if you're prepared to move fast, you might well be an attractive proposition for a landlord as they won't lose 2 or 3 weeks rent

You don't say your family situation, needless to say it's always easier if you don't have pets and usually easier if you're looking for a flat/unit, I think, from listening to people here

Not sure if I agree with the bit about 'stoking up anxiety' ass real estate agents use exactly the same thing for homes for sale as they do for ones to rent, and all sorts of people like to take the opportunity to 'sticky beak' when they see an agent's sign up in the street. I know I do, and I will sometimes look at ones for rent in my own block just to compare them with my own place.

Hi all, thanx so much for all the advice. Feel a little better about things now. It is just me and my boyfriend that are making the move. We have spent time in Australia before (WHV a few years ago), so have an idea of what the areas mentioned are like. Have been renting in the UK for a while now, so will get all our paperwork/references together before we leave. It's probably really bad timing as we want to be out there before Christmas, and everywhere will be jammers!

Hi All,

I have been reading a few posts on here re: rentals in Oz and I feel totally stressed and sick! We are due to arrive in Sydney early Dec and are looking for a place to rent. For what I am being told, it's really, really difficult to secure a rental property!! There appears to be lots of rental properties on domain.com.au and realestate.com.au or am I being niave?! We are looking for rentals in and around Waterloo, Randwick, Coogee areas!

Does anyone have anyone have advice for us? Or any suggestions for short-term/holiday rentals to get us through the next while.

Thanx c x

I agree with the others on the thread that have said the reality is not as bad as it seems from reading the forums. You will need some temporary accommodation for the first few weeks and thus depending on your precise timing, the main alarm bell in your case is NYE, it gets very busy adn very expensive then in city centre temporary accommodation / hotels.

To find a long term rental, the key is to be organised. When we first arrived I wasted time looking at the websites on a sunday or thursday and invariably the houses with open houses would have gone by then. I then did one saturday of open houses, but we didn't see anything we liked and from thereon we just made private appointments.

If you are going to the open houses and there is something you really like the look of on paper, then get an application in advance and hand it in right there and then if you like the property when you see it. Put together a little rental back and include; ID, job offer letters (if you have), bank statements, reference if you have (we have not rented for years, so got the estate agent now letting our house out to write a two liner saying that our house is well maintained) and I think that the cover / introduction letter we wrote also really helped us.

Good luck, it is really not so bad.

Guest dedmakap

domain.com.au and realestate.com.au search results contain a lot of studios and 1 bed rooms close to CBD within 300$ p/w, are these prices real?

We have been in Sydney since Saturday 20/10 and have signed our tenancy agreement in Waterloo on a brand new apartment today. This is after about 10 viewings across Sydney. We are a couple, one Aussie one brit with a cat. The cat was the hard part but we managed to secure the property by identifying savings to cover the rent as neither of us is employed yet. One thing we noticed is that the hotter areas and the cheaper rent levels (think Glebe, Newtown etc) will be hard to secure and the inspections will be mobbed by young professionals (there were 30-40 people waiting for one inspection to commence). The fact that our apartment was in a brand new development and there were several apartments available also helped.

Make sure you draw up a tenants pack explaining your circumstances including copies of passports, bank statements, via entitlements and professions and be prepared to act quickly and make an offer on the spot. Also the weekday inspection times are normally much quieter than the weekends and acting fast at these inspections would appear to secure the apartment quickly. It would also help as you have no rental history to offer up to 6 months up front.

Also in Sydney, be aware its not that quick to travel from appointment to appointment without a car, its quite normal to wait 15+ minutes for connecting cityrail trains and many inspections are 11am - 2pm on Saturdays.

Its possible to find a property quickly, but act fast!

Hi there,

Good question. People sometimes show these documents to prove where they are at financially for landlords/agents. I think it helps, as I tend to find the people that are better prepared are (1) more interested in securing the property and (2) will more likely be a better tenant in terms of paying rent on time and maintaining it to a good standard. If you don't feel comfortable giving a prospective agent/landlord these documents perhaps savings accounts or bank statements can assist to showcase what funds are going in and going out. It might feel a little demanding for agents/landlords to request these things but the old saying ''safe than sorry'' can really placate them.

For more tips I have provided for prospective tenants:

http://www.elevatepg.com.au/renting/tenacy-application/

As an agent, it really is a little bit annoying when all the documentation is not there and we have to chase it up. It is no wonder (in my experience) people that provide all at once rather than in dribs and drabs are more likely to get the property! Hope this helps !

Hi there, in my 4 years as an agent I was only once offered more rent than the advertised (and we rejected them anyway for poor references). I feel that the prospective tenant who is prepared to pay the asking rent and looks great in paper and is prepared to get to know the agent and be friendly - to a degree, usually is successful. Paying advanced rent up front however we dont frown upon! Example - we had a guy who didn't have any previous rental history so to compensate he paid 6 months up front to placate the owner..it worked.

Hi All,

Thanx c x

( i had never rented before and sold my place in uk and did take a ref from estate agent that sold house which they never contacted them..) i viewed 2 properties, one i didnt like the other i put application in on a saturday.. i got a call on the tuesday to say it had been approved ( the monday was a public holiday) and i moved in the following weekend ( I started the new job on the monday after moving in) was not stressful apart from the stress of reading other peoples stressful times. I had everything ready ie copies of passport, job offer and a bank statement with address and funds ( enough to cover some rent and bond) they rang my boss to confirm my job etc.. and no one else.. i have been in my unit 2 and half weeks now...

i am in cronulla tho and not sure about the other areas. good luck! :)

Edited by Delaneym

• 1 month later...

Hi, my wife and i are coming to Sydney as soon as the 457 visa is completed. Is there such a thing as you are only allowed to spend a certain percentage of your salary on rent? I ask this because in Switzerland you are limited to 5% of your salary whereas we want to live in Manly and so would be spending 30-50% of one of our salaries on rent which we are fortunate to be able to comnfortably spend.

Hope this makes sense.

Hi, my wife and i are coming to Sydney as soon as the 457 visa is completed. Is there such a thing as you are only allowed to spend a certain percentage of your salary on rent? I ask this because in Switzerland you are limited to 5% of your salary whereas we want to live in Manly and so would be spending 30-50% of one of our salaries on rent which we are fortunate to be able to comnfortably spend.

Hope this makes sense.

You can spend as much our as little as you like.

Hope this makes sense.

What a bizarre rule (in Switzerland) I have never heard that before and worked for Swiss companes for 11 years and so know many Swiss people and expats. Anyway no, nothing similar in Australia, just as well as 5% of most people's salaries won't get much in Sydney.