migrant agent for 457 visa, Help!

stephaniepomroy

hello, my partner is currently on a WHV on gold coast, were now looking into using a agent to start our 457 process, now chris is a plasterer so we knew it would be hard to get a sponsor by ourself! i attended 'down under live' yesterday and got really useful info off a agent who is actually bases on the gold coast! she said we submitt chris's cv to them, they find him a sponsor who agrees to pay the $51000 a year, they do the visa application for us, altho all this was to cost $7500. its the first contact we have had with a agent as ye, but was wondering if anyone else used a agent to help with 457 and how much was it?

hello, my partner is currently on a WHV on gold coast, were now looking into using a agent to start our 457 process, now chris is a plasterer so we knew it would be hard to get a sponsor by ourself! i attended 'down under live' yesterday and got really useful info off a agent who is actually bases on the gold coast! she said we submitt chris's cv to them, they find him a sponsor who agrees to pay the $51000 a year, they do the visa application for us, altho all this was to cost $7500. its the first contact we have had with a agent as ye, but was wondering if anyone else used a agent to help with 457 and how much was it?

You say you are looking for an agent to start the process but it seems like you don't have the job yet? If so you need to be looking for a job not an agent, then he employer might have their own choice of agent.

And $7.5k sounds very high indeed. I would avoid like the plague.

Guest Will Low

Be careful of down under live,we have been ripped off by an agent there,saying we should go for a 190 but now we have found out we may never be invited but he is keen for us to carry on despite knowing we want to go ASAP, we have employed an agent in Victoria and cost is $3500 for everything, we do have a sponsorship in Queensland so it's quite straightforward. We left downunder live in may this year buzzing but in hind sight think we were swept along with it all, giving out cv's there is a waste of time too. The chocolates on money corps stand were nice though. Hope this helps.

Guest Will Low

Me again . . I know exactly which agent you are talking about and we met them in oz in August,they are very expensive and if you want to go for pm as well it will cost you about $15000, what you were quoted is about double what you should be paying. They will find you a sponsor BUT you deal with contracts etc,that really don't do much for the money apart from ringing the agencies which you can do for free.

Be careful of down under live,we have been ripped off by an agent there,saying we should go for a 190 but now we have found out we may never be invited but he is keen for us to carry on despite knowing we want to go ASAP, we have employed an agent in Victoria and cost is $3500 for everything, we do have a sponsorship in Queensland so it's quite straightforward. We left downunder live in may this year buzzing but in hind sight think we were swept along with it all, giving out cv's there is a waste of time too. The chocolates on money corps stand were nice though. Hope this helps.

I don't get this post. You are worried you will never get invited but you have state sponsorship? I thought if you had state sponsorship it is a given that you will be invited.

At least your agent is encouraging you to go for a permanent visa, unlike the OP.

If a recruiter happened to be operating in a jurisdiction in which charging recruitment fees to job applicants was frowned upon or even illegal what strategy could you advise them to adopt?

Given the cost of getting oneself onto an aeroplane, hotels, etc to find an employer in Australia some might say that $7,500 to include assistance with the 457 visa application would be money well spent.

In the OP's position I'd be interested in what the agent might be able to do, but would want to know what I was committed to financially - and what I would be getting in return from the agent - before parting with any money.

Good luck!

Last week I quoted $10500 for a 457 application and handed the case on to another agent. In some cases the costs could run much higher than this.

Suppose a case is started from scratch:

The employer must apply to become a sponsor and must satisfy the DIAC about numerous matters concerning the business operation, employing and training Australian citizens/residents, financial status, the need for a 457 employee.

If approved, the employer must nominate the prospective employee.

The visa applicant (having been nominated) must satisfy the DIAC that he/she has the qualifications/skills and English language ability to perform the duties of the nominated occupation.

Costs that can arise include, sponsorship charge, nomination charge, visa application charge, currently $420 $85 $365, medical examination fee, IELTS test fee if required, supporting document costs (such as, qualification documents, company revenue statements, preparation of a compliant employment contract) skills assessment fee if required (typically $2000+) travel costs, health insurance. In some jurisdictions it is illegal to recruit workers without going through a local organisation for which the fee is typically a month's salary - payment of this is often deferred until the employee starts work.

Both the employer and the visa applicant must be fully advised about their obligations and the possible pitfalls - for examples the 'usual local wage' for the nominated occupation cannot be arbitrarily increased to meet threshold 457 income of $51400, without inviting visa refusal. If the employee goes AWOL and the DIAC has to hunt him down and deport him/her, the employer can be required to pay the costs and similarly for medical repatriation, failure of the employee to maintain health insurance. If there is a failure of business conditions, or a falling out the employee can be left with 28 days to find another employer or leave Australia. Are there are secondary applicants? School age children? Have the prospective employer and/or employee been advised about other possible visa options? Do they wish to be so advised?

My advice is that if you have been offered the services you have described for the total budget you mentioned by a registered migration agent, you are probably being offered a fair deal. In the good old days I used to manage 457 cases for a professional fee of $2500. Nowadays I check prospective 457 applicants for 'reasonable prospects' quote them and hand them on to registered migration agents who like doing that sort of thing and I stick to doing real visas.

My advice is do not try a DIY 457 and consult an independent RMA for advice about other visa options, possibly to be worked on in conjunction with a 457 application.

Have fun.

You say you are looking for an agent to start the process but it seems like you don't have the job yet? If so you need to be looking for a job not an agent, then he employer might have their own choice of agent.

And $7.5k sounds very high indeed. I would avoid like the plague.

with chris being a plasterer we have been advised that getting sponsor can be hard to come by! the people from the agency 'this is australia' said if he cannoct find his own that they also enquire also! i am going to look round online for prices. x

Me again . . I know exactly which agent you are talking about and we met them in oz in August,they are very expensive and if you want to go for pm as well it will cost you about $15000, what you were quoted is about double what you should be paying. They will find you a sponsor BUT you deal with contracts etc,that really don't do much for the money apart from ringing the agencies which you can do for free.

thanx for that. its a agency called "this is australia" its the first agency we spoke to so not 100% to whats the best price! have u come by a good but cheaper agent? x