Moving Back after 10 years

Lpool7

Hi All

I just wanted to post my story here for anyone interested. We moved over 10 years ago to NZ when our kids were 11 and 6. Hated the first 2 years then started to love seeing the high blue sky everyday and living in East Auckland which is still beautiful. Then 3 years ago my older son, who had already played football for NZ Schoolboys, needed a better team so we moved to Australia and he did his HSC in NSW. Luckily he is also a hard worker and did so well in his studies and got a scholarship to a US University for Studies and Football. Unfortunately my husband and I split after 20 years together but are still very close friends, we should have just only ever been friends etc. I went back to NZ 1 year ago as we could not afford the private schools here but also my yongest' old school in NZ was lovely near the beach in East Auckland so he wanted to go back.

My husband then also came over to be closer to the kids home and I then moved back to Sydney as I had a better job offer. Having come back now and back from a recent visit to the UK, I cant wait to go back home to England. My opinion is that Australia is great if you have a partner, have a family/family there or if you are young but if you are single, its so hard to make friends and have a real life like I had in the UK. I think I delayed going back because of missing the high blue sky but I have realised that isnt living and I am missing out so much. I hate the Aussie work ethic of just work and even if you go out for drinks with people, its hard to make close friends. I know that if you keep meeting up with people after work in the UK, you end up going around to their homes and become good friends etc.

We wanted to give the kids a safer and more varied life and they have had a great time living in 3 different countries but am certainly looking forward to having my base back in the UK. After 10 years, I feel like I have been on holiday for the whole time. Now I want a real life and settle down.

I would never have not come here and NZ though, otherwise my children would not have had the wonderful opportunities that they have had (youngest is a qualified referee in NSW!). I think everyone should do this with a young family. But I can honestly say, thanks to living away from home for 10 years, I know appreciate it so much and want the quality of what is the British person, because it really is about people in the end.

Hi All

I just wanted to post my story here for anyone interested. We moved over 10 years ago to NZ when our kids were 11 and 6. Hated the first 2 years then started to love seeing the high blue sky everyday and living in East Auckland which is still beautiful. Then 3 years ago my older son, who had already played football for NZ Schoolboys, needed a better team so we moved to Australia and he did his HSC in NSW. Luckily he is also a hard worker and did so well in his studies and got a scholarship to a US University for Studies and Football. Unfortunately my husband and I split after 20 years together but are still very close friends, we should have just only ever been friends etc. I went back to NZ 1 year ago as we could not afford the private schools here but also my yongest' old school in NZ was lovely near the beach in East Auckland so he wanted to go back.

My husband then also came over to be closer to the kids home and I then moved back to Sydney as I had a better job offer. Having come back now and back from a recent visit to the UK, I cant wait to go back home to England. My opinion is that Australia is great if you have a partner, have a family/family there or if you are young but if you are single, its so hard to make friends and have a real life like I had in the UK. I think I delayed going back because of missing the high blue sky but I have realised that isnt living and I am missing out so much. I hate the Aussie work ethic of just work and even if you go out for drinks with people, its hard to make close friends. I know that if you keep meeting up with people after work in the UK, you end up going around to their homes and become good friends etc.

We wanted to give the kids a safer and more varied life and they have had a great time living in 3 different countries but am certainly looking forward to having my base back in the UK. After 10 years, I feel like I have been on holiday for the whole time. Now I want a real life and settle down.

I would never have not come here and NZ though, otherwise my children would not have had the wonderful opportunities that they have had (youngest is a qualified referee in NSW!). I think everyone should do this with a young family. But I can honestly say, thanks to living away from home for 10 years, I know appreciate it so much and want the quality of what is the British person, because it really is about people in the end.

Fantastic post and I wish you well

Good luck with your return to the UK :) Sounds like you are more than ready to be here.

Whereabouts are you looking to return to? Somewhere familiar or a new area? Lots of choices :)

I am like a lot of people who move back - want to live in a place I have dreamed of so somewhere near history, maybe Oxford or near it probably so anyone who knows a good village or town near Oxford, I would really appreciate any advice, thanks!

Shame we can't swap situations! We're desperate to leave Oxfordshire and move to Oz or NZ. Weather here is mis! Work ethic seems crazy too as Brits work such long hours. The history is fabulous tho and I shall definitely miss the pubs :)

Hi All

Good luck with your move. I hope it all goes well.

I, too am moving back after 10 years but in the reverse direction. I moved to the UK, 10 years ago for work reasons and because of a marriage breakup. I have now met a wonderful man here in the UK (futureinoz)and we have decided to move to Oz. He is a sufferer of SAD and I have family in Oz and potential grandchildren so now seems the right time to move.

I have loved my time in the UK and although I know it rains a lot I love the landscape (which wouldn't be so green without the rain), the history, the architecture (apart from pebble dash...lol) and the people so I am definitely going to miss it.

So many people think the grass is greener (no pun intended) on the other side of the fence but there is good and bad about every place. I just like to think the good outweighs the bad.

Hi All

wishing you all the best with your next adventure. We were away 10 yrs, like you Nz first, then work opportunities took us to Perth. Was a great adventure being away, but good to be home. Especialliy seeing the Uk through different eyes & a new appreciation! good luck:)

Sunshine 111 you are so right. So many people tell me I will miss the weather, but after you have 'been there, done that and bought the t-shirt' its not the same anymore. Of course it would be great if the UK had great weather, but we cant have everything and I wouldnt stay in a country till my twilight years just for the weather. In the end it came down to 'do I want to grow old here' and the answer was an easy no for me. But as mentioned, NZ and Australia have given us great opportunities but then the natural time comes to go back. I also wonder if what sort of life and where one lived in the UK makes a difference to who goes back. Maybe...but I am going back to a different place so maybe not.

Archived