is it too risky?

adamexmouth

We've been granted a pr visa and have flights booked for next june. Neither myself or my wife have a job offer as of yet. Is it too much of a risk leaving our home and jobs to fly to oz in the hope of finding work? Has anyone out there had any experience is this matter? Do we just risk it all and go for it?. We have a 7 yr old to think of as well.

Well that is what most people do. You must have known this was a possible scenario when you applied for the visa, so there is a part of you that is prepared for the risk.

You could perhaps minimise the risk by going one at a time if you feel risk averse currently however.

We've been granted a pr visa and have flights booked for next june. Neither myself or my wife have a job offer as of yet. Is it too much of a risk leaving our home and jobs to fly to oz in the hope of finding work? Has anyone out there had any experience is this matter? Do we just risk it all and go for it?. We have a 7 yr old to think of as well.

What jobs do you do, and what kind of life do you have over here and what are you expecting over there and what are your reasons for wanting to go?

What is the average budget for a month in Sydney? Rent, food, bills ect....

depends on individual circumstances,but averages around AUD 3,500 say for a newly arrived couple

You will have additional costs like 4 or 8 weeks deposit on your flat/house rental

What is the average budget for a month in Sydney? Rent, food, bills ect....

I hate questions like this. As a single bloke with no mortage or rent to pay and living in the inner city suburb of Surry Hills, I can live like a king on $500-600 a week but on 300 a week, I go into debt.

You have got your visa's so why not take that giant step and come on over and say gidday (as I seem to recall Hoge's adverts?)

I am trying to be more positive after getting my head bitten off for suggesting that someone else should just cancel their plans and stay at home. But when I came in 1978, I had no skills, not much money. I was coming out with a mate and he backed out (to get married.) I still think he should have come with me, even if he'd just gone home after a few weeks.

Now, I'm going out for a beer - $5-6 a schooner - and a Thai meal - circa $16-18 I should think, although you can do it cheaper - had a yellow curry the other night for $8.50.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
What jobs do you do, and what kind of life do you have over here and what are you expecting over there and what are your reasons for wanting to go?

Good questions Andy, certain jobs are needed in certain areas and it is a major factor in how it will work out, take for instance, if someone migrates to the Sushine coast in Brisbane which is heaven on earth, jobs there are really difficult to come by, but if you migrate to Perth, which is still a great place, unemployment is incredibly low at just 3.6% it's clear people need to take this into account when going to Oz.

I hate questions like this. As a single bloke with no mortage or rent to pay and living in the inner city suburb of Surry Hills, I can live like a king on $500-600 a week but on 300 a week, I go into debt.

You have got your visa's so why not take that giant step and come on over and say gidday (as I seem to recall Hoge's adverts?)

I am trying to be more positive after getting my head bitten off for suggesting that someone else should just cancel their plans and stay at home. But when I came in 1978, I had no skills, not much money. I was coming out with a mate and he backed out (to get married.) I still think he should have come with me, even if he'd just gone home after a few weeks.

Now, I'm going out for a beer - $5-6 a schooner - and a Thai meal - circa $16-18 I should think, although you can do it cheaper - had a yellow curry the other night for $8.50.

ha don't get oversensitive Dave...but the fact is there is absolutely no comparison re. the cost of living between a) a single bloke in a unit just big enough for a single bloke and what b) a couple with a child will need to be looking at.....for a start you'd have to factor in living near chosen schools ( does that work like the UK ? as in the better the school the higher the cost of homes?) bigger place,bigger bills, running a car (possibly 2 cars?) which you say you don't have/need.......tripling the cost of being out & about etc.....that's why you have to be sensitive with your answers, not because people don't appreciate your input ! :biggrin:

Guest chris955

It is a difficult one, if things are good at the moment it is a huge risk as things are on a definite downward spiral currently in Australia. To arrive with a young child with no work is a risk but I guess it depends on exactly what you are looking for over there. It also depends on where you are looking at going as far as how easy it will be to get work, several States are laying off large numbers of staff in the public service.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Where's the evidence of this so called downward spiral, unemployment dropped the last time the figures were out and it has to go up a very long way to be as bad as what it is in the UK, but any move anywhere is a risk.

Guest chris955
Where's the evidence of this so called downward spiral, unemployment dropped the last time the figures were out and it has to go up a very long way to be as bad as what it is in the UK, but any move anywhere is a risk.

We are looking at the country in isolation, the unemployment rate in the UK is totally irrelevant.

Guest Guest26012

In all honesty, I wouldn't be coming here without securing employment beforehand! It is risky, more so than when we came here nearly five years ago. It's just the stuff we hear on the news etc. it depends on your profession. However, life is about taking risks but just make sure you have some cash behind you to tide you over until you do get jobs! It's still possible to make it work!

In my post its what I heard from work about civmec it's in the news about theconpanies , the Aussie Dollar is very high , iron ore prices are dropping like a whores knickers , it can change in a moment , bhp told blokes on Qld clear out your dongas you're flying back, they blamed it on the royalties ( states take a big wad from companies for mi Inge)

Guest The Ropey HOFF
In my post its what I heard from work about civmec it's in the news about theconpanies , the Aussie Dollar is very high , iron ore prices are dropping like a whores knickers , it can change in a moment , bhp told blokes on Qld clear out your dongas you're flying back, they blamed it on the royalties ( states take a big wad from companies for mi Inge)

There is more things being mentioned currently, but the facts are is that unemployment went down in Australia just recently, they might go up next time, but no one knows, but like I say, Australia will have to fall a long way before it gets to where we are in the UK, there was one million people put on the dole in the last 3 years, it has come down slightly, but it's still difficult to find work in most places.

There is more things being mentioned currently, but the facts are is that unemployment went down in Australia just recently, they might go up next time, but no one knows, but like I say, Australia will have to fall a long way before it gets to where we are in the UK, there was one million people put on the dole in the last 3 years, it has come down slightly, but it's still difficult to find work in most places.

Jim mate for all your knowledge on stats I can put in a analogy you will understand Western Australia and all the mining states are like Yorkshire mining towns , the mines shut then all the related industries have a knock on effect , 90 percent of industry Is linked to the resource sector thank **** we're linked to oil and gas

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Jim mate for all your knowledge on stats I can put in a analogy you will understand Western Australia and all the mining states are like Yorkshire mining towns , the mines shut then all the related industries have a knock on effect , 90 percent of industry Is linked to the resource sector thank **** we're linked to oil and gas

I know what you are saying mate, but I find this hunger for disaster to strike Australia quite nauseating TBH not aiming that at you, why don't we just wait and see what happens, rather than some banging on over and over that it might happen with a lot of glee when the likelihood is that it won't and like I say, it will have to be really bad to get to where the UK is.

Yes it would be brilliant to secure a job in advance of moving, but how are you suppose to secure a job from the other side of the world.

Ozzies like doing business face to face, and once they know you, great, but trying to secure a job just from your CV is hard.

I have sent over 100 CVs and not one answer!! Hubby is very experienced and skilled.

My brother spent some time sending CVs also, he got 1 response from a lovely lady saying she was impressed with his portfolio of work but wasnt it a position to sponsor but if he managed to get to Oz, to contact her.

I wouldnt hire someone I hadnt met face to face!!

I think if money is tight, a good suggestion is for the main applicant to go ahead and secure work before bringing the whole family over.

cheers cazmayo

Guest Guest26012

It's difficult to assess whether you are going to be successful in your migration from the other side of the world! All I can say is just be careful! We are here and we see what is happening! But having said that please don't let it put you off! It can be a fab life but you have to put the hard yards in! The facts are that yes there are job cuts and redundancies etc, not in Perth but in other parts of oz! Lets just see what happens! I do think that we have some tough times ahead but I am on optimistic person and my glass is always half full!

ha don't get oversensitive Dave...but the fact is there is absolutely no comparison re. the cost of living between a) a single bloke in a unit just big enough for a single bloke and what b) a couple with a child will need to be looking at.....for a start you'd have to factor in living near chosen schools ( does that work like the UK ? as in the better the school the higher the cost of homes?) bigger place,bigger bills, running a car (possibly 2 cars?) which you say you don't have/need.......tripling the cost of being out & about etc.....that's why you have to be sensitive with your answers, not because people don't appreciate your input ! :biggrin:

So, if Bob Cratchit had been single, his life would have been wonderful! 'You have paid me FAR too much, Mr Scrooge!'

Actually, a couple with a baby could live in this unit of mine, at least until the baby was old enough to need his/her own room. To rent my flat would be somewhere between $400 and $500 per week. Add on another 100-150 for a two bedroom flat in the same block. Living in the inner city, you could get by without a car. I do have one now but the first time I lived here I went without a car for nine years. Everything you need is within easy walking distance and the trains and buses are close too. You would not have to drive to the local school either, so no need to buy an SUV or 4WD (each!)

It's difficult to assess whether you are going to be successful in your migration from the other side of the world! All I can say is just be careful! We are here and we see what is happening! But having said that please don't let it put you off! It can be a fab life but you have to put the hard yards in! The facts are that yes there are job cuts and redundancies etc, not in Perth but in other parts of oz! Lets just see what happens! I do think that we have some tough times ahead but I am on optimistic person and my glass is always half full!

My wife is trying to sort her cv out at the moment as her friend at work is very good friends with somebody who runs a office in Sydney. (She is a buildings service engineer) so really hopeing something comes from that. Any tips for writing a cv for oz? Is it a similar lay out to a uk cv? I'm a chef so hopefully i'll find something pretty quick? I think we've come to far to

Far to wimp out now.

Archived