Kelloggs30

Hi there,

I'm just after a bit of advice re the possibility of swapping visa types once one has been applied for.

The situation we're in is that I'm an aussie citizen (by descent). We applied for a partner visa for my husband and 8 month old son at the end of June. Our case officer originally estimated 6 months for visa approval but yesterday has said it's more likely to be 8 - 9 months! (His reasoning is workload at the London embassy, nothing to do with our application).

The problem we have is that we are both teachers. We were hoping to start applying now for jobs that would commence at the end of January 2013 which is the start of the academic year in Australia. I am aware that the job situation in teaching in Australia means that we would be very lucky to get jobs so quickly, but this thread is more of a "what if..." scenario. To be able to leave our current jobs at Christmas we would need to hand our notice in at the end of October.

Has anyone ever applied for a partner visa and then swapped to a sponsor visa? This is assuming that IF my husband was offered a job to start in Jan 2013 and IF the school were able to sponsor him, would it be possible to arrange quickly enough?

Aaaargh it's all so frustrating! Has anybody been in a similar situation? Our case officer is not the best at communicating with us, so I'm hoping someone can offer some advice :wacko:

Thanks for reading :cute:

You can apply for multiple visas but should let DIAC know. Any visa granted will cancel out any others you hold.

For example people go to Oz on an employer sponsored 457 and keep their Skilled visa application running so when it is eventually granted they will move to the PR visa and the 457 is cancelled.

Obviously once the PR visa is granted then you need to withdraw any other visa applications, don't assume it will be OK. The last visa granted applies so a temp visa will wipe out a previously granted permanent one.

Archived