HOW did YOU tell the parents?!?!?!?!

seraphim

We have our 175. That went quickly, around 6 months from start to finish. Mentally I was expecting 18+ months! :wideeyed:

yay, small dance!:eek::eek:

Now, the tough part. Telling the parents!

We haven't mentioned anything yet to anyone as we're planning a reccie/validation trip to see if we can live in Oz before we apply for jobs etc.

A question for all those who have been through this, how did you tell your parents, and how did they take it? We're hoping to use your experiences to improve our chances of not being excommunicated by family!

It's been a weird one. We told my parents before we started the application process and explained that it would take a long time maybe 18 months. They initially thought we weren't serious. My dad was convinced that I would change my mind. Then the visas xame much quicker than expected. After showing my parents, It took a few weeks to sink in and they are both happy and sad too. I can't talk to my parents about it too much as they get really upset but they have been really supportive and they want to see us be happy. After we validated our visa , they could see we were committed to going.

We are currently still trying to set a date to move, fingers crossed this christmas. We still have the relatives and friends to tell yet.

I'm glad we kept my parents informed as they would rather know, so that they have enough time to get their head around the big change.

I think my parents kind of guessed I could be moving away, since I'd been with my fiancé for 3 years and we'd done a lot of moving around to each others countries before he had to move back home permanently. I think it was a shock that we'd be getting married over there (as they can't afford to visit for the ceremony) and they probably expected my older sister to get married before me, so that was more the surprise than moving 15,000 miles away.

Wow, you have been very brave not saying anything until you had the visa. We have told both families and only very very close friends, but no one else knows. It was no surprise to our folks as OH had been wanting to go back for 12 years and everyone knew exactly how he felt. When I made my decision I told my Dad first and he softened the blow by speaking to my Mum. She said her piece about her negatives, got upset over the time difference (not sure why it wasn't a prob before) and then she has been proud and excited and supported us all the way through the rollercoaster ride. TBH, she is going through a negative stage just now, but we expected it We have just turned down a job offer and would have been there before Christmas, so I think it just made it a bit more of a reality check for her. I know if I said to her that we had changed our minds (never gonna happen) she would say "what are you doing - you are mad".

Good Luck

I had already turned down a job in UAE, so they knew that we were looking abroad. When we were leaving, me, wife & 3 kids & all our household possessions, my mother told me not to bother any boxes when we arrived in Australia because we would be coming home in a few years anyhow so there was really no point.

We have our 175. That went quickly, around 6 months from start to finish. Mentally I was expecting 18+ months! :wideeyed:

yay, small dance!:eek::eek:

Now, the tough part. Telling the parents!

We haven't mentioned anything yet to anyone as we're planning a reccie/validation trip to see if we can live in Oz before we apply for jobs etc.

A question for all those who have been through this, how did you tell your parents, and how did they take it? We're hoping to use your experiences to improve our chances of not being excommunicated by family!

Hi Congrats!

Well, like some other people here, I told mine before we got the visas, a week or so after we applied. I told my dad first and he said he would tell my mum when the time was right. I didn't feel that was a cop out, as he would be able to break it to her more gently, rather than me go down and make a big announcement. At that stage we didn't know whether we would get visas or not. My dad was shocked, but said we had to go for it, in fact he said he nearly emigrated to Canada about 40 years ago but didn't because of his mum. He advised us not to make the same mistake.

He told my mum a week or so later and while she was upset she could see it could be a very good move for us. I still feel guilty though as while they have a lot of friends, I worry about their health as they get older. We told them last September and got the visas (163) at beginning of June, so heading out in 3 weeks.

Good luck, you may find that while they may well be emotional, they will understand and support you.

All the best

Ross

Archived