Labour set to re-open procecessing camps offshore

jove

Pb, you seem to be well in favour of immigration to wherever by whoever and of course that is fine as that is your opinion, but i thought you were of the opinion that immigration had ruined Britain, can you answer this aparant contradiction?

:unsure:

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, if I see a massive cross of st george flag outside a house I think first...racist...the same if I see a big flag on a pole outside someones house in Oz.

So are you saying that if someone has a St George cross flying outside their house you think they are racist?

The bit about people who's intentions are suspect will be refused the visa, however, I am not sure where you get your information from about 'only the well off get visa's'!!?? This is not the case at all, alot do not disclose mental health issues due to pride etc, please do not jump to conclusions.

I can see you didn't get my comment. Only the well off get visa's refers of course to the list of countries that are closely checked out prior to the issueing of a visa. If a person from Bangla Desh as an example, cannot show sufficent funds to sustain their stay and have an outward ticket they are highly unlikely to be issued with a visa. Certain countries that have a large numbers of over stayers , such as some of the Pacific Islands for example, will be suspected of being far more likely to breach their visa requirements than a EU national......

Mental Health issues refer to the incarceration of detainees in detention centres that developed some very serious issues indeed when the previous Pacific Solution was in place....this was most certainly the case....please read what I write.....

But aren't they all just wanting to 'live the dream' in Australia, like so many posters on these forums?. Isn't that the incentive?. A safe, generous, welcoming place to call home at the end of a long, stressful and expensive journey?. Sounds like most visa applicants to me. Perhaps Australia is becoming the victim of it's own success and now everybody wants a slice of the good life we all enjoy?.

In retrospect, might it have been better to have kept quiet all these years about Australia's undoubted charms, and in doing so hope that Asia's huddled masses looked elsewhere?

Well Australia has moved in the direction of seeking out highly trained and/or rich Asian immigrants to such an extent that it is mostly Asian countries in the top ten places in recent years.

Refugees on the other hand have looked more towards Europe than Australia as their first preference......

So are you saying that if someone has a St George cross flying outside their house you think they are racist?

You are very good at twisting posts andy, I never said they were racist....I said when I see a st George flag flying outside a house my first thoughts are they are they might be racist..that is a long way from saying they are racist.

what are your first HONEST thoughts when you see a big cross of st George flying outside some ones front garden...waits for a true honest answer.

You are very good at twisting posts andy, I never said they were racist....I said when I see a st George flag flying outside a house my first thoughts are they are they might be racist..that is a long way from saying they are racist.

what are your first HONEST thoughts when you see a big cross of st George flying outside some ones front garden...waits for a true honest answer.

Ok, first of all will you please answer the question i have asked you a number of times, you are clearly happy with all immigration wherever and whenever and whoever and that is fine as that is your opinion, but are you not of the opinion that Britain has been ruined by immigration.

And by the way if i saw a flag of St George flying outside someones house i would think that person was proud to be English and showing it, i think i would be nuts if racism even crossed my mind.

And why would you even think they might be racist for flying a flag?

There wasn't anything in your post saying your first thoughts are 'they might be racist' you actually posted you 'think first....racist.....'

No question mark there either. You are right, what you said in the first post is very different to what you have just posted. No wonder people don't understand your posts.

I have an Aussie flag sticker on my car, what are your thoughts on that?

There wasn't anything in your post saying your first thoughts are 'they might be racist' you actually posted you 'think first....racist.....'

No question mark there either. You are right, what you said in the first post is very different to what you have just posted. No wonder people don't understand your posts.

You are clearly a stinkin racist wakey and i for one want nothing more to do with you:cute:

Ok, first of all will you please answer the question i have asked you a number of times, you are clearly happy with all immigration wherever and whenever and whoever and that is fine as that is your opinion, but are you not of the opinion that Britain has been ruined by immigration.

And by the way if i saw a flag of St George flying outside someones house i would think that person was proud to be English and showing it, i think i would be nuts if racism even crossed my mind.

Wait's for a true honest answer :SLEEP:

poor taste.

Like many things in life no fixed rule. A Cross of St George hanging out of a window may or may not suggest something. Going into a boozer,plastered with St George flags in Portsmouth on St George's Day certainly attracted a large element of tough,tat covered probably EL supporters with many wrapped in the flag as well.

There are reasons why the Germans kept their flag at a distance until very recently...World Cup 06 in fact.....Another place to witness some over the top posteruring shall we say,by England fans with often with the flag....

Saying that i've got a St George flag in my back yard.......but a couple of others as well........

Sorry andy I dont believe you...the vast majority of people who saw a st George's cross on a flag pole in someone's front garden would just fir a fleeting second think racist or BNP ember, you are just not being true with yourself and you know it don't you andy.

Sorry andy I dont believe you...the vast majority of people who saw a st George's cross on a flag pole in someone's front garden would just fir a fleeting second think racist or BNP ember, you are just not being true with yourself and you know it don't you andy.

Ok pb i give up, you will not answer the question and you continuously contradict yourself and then just continue to talk absolute rubbish

Ok pb i give up, you will not answer the question and you continuously contradict yourself and then just continue to talk absolute rubbish

Yeah. We know the re truth on your thoughts if you seen a st George's flag on a Pole in a front garden hey andy...just be tru with yourself now and again and cut the PC answers.

But aren't they all just wanting to 'live the dream' in Australia, like so many posters on these forums?. Isn't that the incentive?. A safe, generous, welcoming place to call home at the end of a long, stressful and expensive journey?. Sounds like most visa applicants to me. Perhaps Australia is becoming the victim of it's own success and now everybody wants a slice of the good life we all enjoy?.

In retrospect, might it have been better to have kept quiet all these years about Australia's undoubted charms, and in doing so hope that Asia's huddled masses looked elsewhere?

yeah, but that's different, to be welcomed here with open arms you need a valuable skill, like hairdressers, or project managers, or events organisers

I wish I had had the same kind of accommodation when I came to Australia as those boat people. We didn't riot and burn our accommodation but I reckon that would have been the best thing for it.

A refugee who has permanent residency in Australia receives exactly the same social security benefits as any Australian-born person in the same circumstances.

Refugees apply for social security through Centrelink like everyone else and are assessed for the different payment options in the same way as everyone else. There are no separate Centrelink allowances that one can receive simply by virtue of being a refugee.

Centrelink payments are calculated at exactly the same rate for both refugees and non-refugees. As of May 2011, a single person with no dependent children applying for Special Benefit or the Newstart Allowance (whether or not he or she is a refugee) will receive $469.70 per fortnight, whereas a single person on an Age Pension payment will receive a fortnightly payment of $658.40. A single age pensioner therefore receives over $180.00 more per fortnight more than a single refugee (or a single Australian-born person) who qualifies for Special Benefit or Newstart.

Australian citizens and permanent residents with dependent children on lower-to-middle incomes (including refugees) may also be eligible to receive Family Tax Benefits or Parenting Payments. However, none of these allowances are paid at a higher rate than the single age pension.

Asylum seekers are not entitled to the same forms of financial support as citizens or permanent residents. The Asylum Seeker Assistance (ASA) scheme provides assistance to some eligible asylum seekers who are in the process of having their refugee status determined. The ASA Scheme offers income support to cover basic living expenses, at a rate below Centrelink benefits.

http://www.sbs.com.au/goback/about/factsheets/12/what-social-security-benefits-do-refugees-receive

I would rather they didn't get on the unseaworthy boat in the first place. Perhaps the could use their money to get a visa.

John Howard's Pacific Solution saw very few boats arrive and the temp visa meant that they went home when it was safe to do so.

Past temporary protection policies have been proven to be extremely damaging to refugees, notably the Temporary Protection Visa (TPV) regime introduced by the Howard Government in 1999. Under the TPV regime, refugees who arrived without authorisation were only granted protection for three years, after which time they had to reapply for protection. Refugees on TPVs were unable to apply for family reunion, did not receive adequate settlement assistance (for example, they were ineligible for the free English language classes available to other humanitarian entrants) and were deprived of the stability and security of permanent protection.

The psychological damage caused by TPVs due to these factors has been well documented by medical experts. Furthermore, most TPV holders came from countries such as Afghanistan and Iraq where there was no prospect for safe return in the foreseeable future. Almost all TPV holders were eventually granted permanent protection when their claims were later reassessed.

There is also evidence to suggest that TPVs may have actually encouraged some asylum seekers to undertake risky journeys to Australia. Because TPV holders could not apply for family reunion, their family members facing persecution overseas – the majority of whom were women and children – were driven to undertake the same dangerous journey to Australia.

After TPVs were introduced, the proportion of women and children amongst asylum seekers arriving by boat more than tripled, from 12.8 per cent of boat arrivals in 1999, to 27.6 per cent in 2000, to 41.8 per cent in 2001. Among the 353 people killed when the unauthorised vessel SIEV X sank in 2001 were 142 women and 146 children – several of whom were attempting to reunite with husbands and fathers already in Australia on TPVs

http://www.sbs.com.au/goback/about/factsheets/6/how-safe-are-refugee-camps

A refugee who has permanent residency in Australia receives exactly the same social security benefits as any Australian-born person in the same circumstances.

Refugees apply for social security through Centrelink like everyone else and are assessed for the different payment options in the same way as everyone else. There are no separate Centrelink allowances that one can receive simply by virtue of being a refugee.

Centrelink payments are calculated at exactly the same rate for both refugees and non-refugees. As of May 2011, a single person with no dependent children applying for Special Benefit or the Newstart Allowance (whether or not he or she is a refugee) will receive $469.70 per fortnight, whereas a single person on an Age Pension payment will receive a fortnightly payment of $658.40. A single age pensioner therefore receives over $180.00 more per fortnight more than a single refugee (or a single Australian-born person) who qualifies for Special Benefit or Newstart.

Australian citizens and permanent residents with dependent children on lower-to-middle incomes (including refugees) may also be eligible to receive Family Tax Benefits or Parenting Payments. However, none of these allowances are paid at a higher rate than the single age pension.

Asylum seekers are not entitled to the same forms of financial support as citizens or permanent residents. The Asylum Seeker Assistance (ASA) scheme provides assistance to some eligible asylum seekers who are in the process of having their refugee status determined. The ASA Scheme offers income support to cover basic living expenses, at a rate below Centrelink benefits.

http://www.sbs.com.au/goback/about/factsheets/12/what-social-security-benefits-do-refugees-receive

Totally irrelevant reply to the post you quoted. Quoting large chunks from SBS website doesn't gain brownie points.

Totally irrelevant reply to the post you quoted. Quoting large chunks from SBS website doesn't gain brownie points.

Here's your quote:

I wish I had had the same kind of accommodation when I came to Australia as those boat people. We didn't riot and burn our accommodation but I reckon that would have been the best thing for it.

If my response was irrelevant, could you at least elaborate on what the above post means?

Archived