Labour set to re-open procecessing camps offshore

jove

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeh, lets put them where no one can see them...hopefully they will go away.....pathetic.

qoute.

"People will still drown. What this [report] is making sure is that people drown elsewhere and don't drown right in front of us," she said.

Guest Guest16631

.........like sticking a plaster over a haemorrhaging wound.........!

........the awful predicament is still there.............whether we can see it or not...........shameful IMO.......( but I don't know the answer)

Priced up a job on Sri lankans house last week and we talked about the sri lankans coming on boats . She told me they were economic migrants coming from well off families . I'm for refugees coming through camps . Did a deck on an ethiopian women's house on Saturday who came throughUN camp with her four young sons . She laughed when I asked her if she could afford the people smuggling route . Could help with the medal count in future Olympics though .

Priced up a job on Sri lankans house last week and we talked about the sri lankans coming on boats . She told me they were economic migrants coming from well off families . I'm for refugees coming through camps . Did a deck on an ethiopian women's house on Saturday who came throughUN camp with her four young sons . She laughed when I asked her if she could afford the people smuggling route . Could help with the medal count in future Olympics though .

She may well have been Sinhalese who have little time for Tamils, the ethnic group most the Sri Lankan boat people are from. The ones I've had dealings with are hardly rich. Most are doing labouring jobs working long hours. That's not to say some may come from moneyed backgrounds.....

Thing being with waiting in camps is that a person could be there decades and still not get a place.It's all a bit of a lottery.

Guest littlesarah
Seems the labour party is set to re-open those processing centres for those people trying to get entry to Australia illegally.

It is not illegal to enter a country in order to seek asylum, according to the 1951 UN Human Rights Convention & the 1967 UN Protocol.

It is hard to have a proper discussion about the options for meeting our humanitarian obligations when so many people are so poorly informed by inflammatory media and politicians. The organisations who work with refugees are very well-placed to articulate the problems and propose potential solutions, but sadly their expertise is squandered because they're not saying what politicians and Society want to hear.

Until such time as Society treats refugees as people, rather than seeing them solely as a burden, it will be hard to find consensus on how to meet our obligations.

sad day for human rights.

Shame on Australia's government.

why is it a sad day ? Are they not just setting up offshore camps ? Shouldn't a country have some control over it's Borders ?i was actually surprised by how many refugees are in Australia . Is it ok to take boat loads of young afghan men and send our own young men to die in the country they're fleeing ?

why is it a sad day ? Are they not just setting up offshore camps ? Shouldn't a country have some control over it's Borders ?i was actually surprised by how many refugees are in Australia . Is it ok to take boat loads of young afghan men and send our own young men to die in the country they're fleeing ?

Well Australia is rather unique in setting up overseas detention centres....warehousing... asylum seekers...in a country with so much land. Of course if other countries attempted to pass their asylum seekers on to neighbouring countries there would be chaos. Most other countries don't have such possibilities.

Not sure how you are able to tell whose a refugee in Australia. Afghans are fleeing due to certain gruops being persecuted....I think most allied troops have long asked the reasons they are in Afghanistan..supporting a corrupt government..that has little control in the countryside....

I don't see the problem either, they have probably seen what has happened in Britain and want to do something before it is to late like it is inBritain.

I don't see the problem either, they have probably seen what has happened in Britain and want to do something before it is to late like it is inBritain.

What exactly has happened in Britain? London's great diversity is one of its greatest strengths. Thankfully the days when Brits could escape the colour problem as they termed it a few decades back..by moving to Australia are fading fast.....

What exactly has happened in Britain? London's great diversity is one of its greatest strengths. Thankfully the days when Brits could escape the colour problem as they termed it a few decades back..by moving to Australia are fading fast.....

What has happened in Britain is that we have let so many people in from so many different countries that we now don't know how many or who is here and the pressure on service's, jobs road's schools prisons etc is at a crisis point or have i just made that up because i live here and can see it with my own eyes.

Guest Guest16631

........different ethnic groups migrating and refugees fleeing ...........are two different things..........if someone can fullfill a skill needed by a country ,their colour or ethnic background is of no consequence........it's the plight of the desperate refugee that needs to be addressed............where their only choice is to stay behind and become a statistic of ethnic cleansing or chance their luck with a boat load of other desperate people..........perhaps when it's a choice between a chance of safety and that of almost certain death or at least a lifetime of fear.............many would choose the former...........there have been so many debates through the years......(Jews in Germany spring to mind ) ..........it's got to become more a ...........how can we help to accomadation them............than how can we keep them from our shores.........IMO

What has happened in Britain is that we have let so many people in from so many different countries that we now don't know how many or who is here and the pressure on service's, jobs road's schools prisons etc is at a crisis point or have i just made that up because i live here and can see it with my own eyes.

Well Gerrards Cross in Bucks looked pretty good a few years back.....There's far more people from different countries in OZ than UK (outside of London)....so if that's an issue no escape by coming here......

Well Gerrards Cross in Bucks looked pretty good a few years back.....There's far more people from different countries in OZ than UK (outside of London)....so if that's an issue no escape by coming here......

Gerrards Cross as you know is one of the wealthiest town's in the country and would look pretty good, try Wycombe, Aylesbury, Milton Keynes and Slough.

Gerrards Cross as you know is one of the wealthiest town's in the country and would look pretty good, try Wycombe, Aylesbury, Milton Keynes and Slough.

Well GC is where I have family connections so wouldn't stay elsewhere in Bucks when on the odd occasion stay there. Not sure what you are getting at. There are many areas that relate to those places in OZ. Poorer areas being cheaper attract struggling folk or newly arrived immigrants. Every city in OZ has areas similar to an extent.

Well Australia is rather unique in setting up overseas detention centres....warehousing... asylum seekers...in a country with so much land. Of course if other countries attempted to pass their asylum seekers on to neighbouring countries there would be chaos. Most other countries don't have such possibilities.

Not sure how you are able to tell whose a refugee in Australia. Afghans are fleeing due to certain gruops being persecuted....I think

most allied troops have long asked the reasons they are in Afghanistan..supporting a corrupt government..that has little control in the countryside....

Doesnt and hasn't England tried to keep a lot of ' asylum' seekers in France ? Those poor desperate people who try to board lorries daily from the nasty French . The uk government put pressure on France to close the camps they were gathering at . Can't tell who are refugees by looking , but the amount I've worked with or for has surprised me . How did the sri lankans you know pay for their boats ?

Guest Shell15

I think its a sad day when a country cant fly its flag and be proud to do so! Seeing the British flag fly freely and the british people proud of there country during the olympic games... and being allowed to do so without any backlash, was quite a rare sight.. Imo

It would be a shame for this to happen in Australia.. I think there are alot of lessons Australa can learn from the mistakes made by the government here. Taking precautions now, can only be a good thing..

The problem I have with some arguments for allowing people in unchecked is that they do not appreciate what an industry has developed around the issue. I should imagine the amount of money changing hands in Indonesia is staggering and there must be a few high level government officials involved in all this. By allowing more people in, more money is generated and the flow just increases and the chances for tragedy to these migrants in the difficult crossing increase. They are paying good money with no guarantees, I really think some people are taking advantage of these people.

I read there was a boat of 67 people missing already yesterday. tragic!

Archived