Expensive Nights Out in Australia

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

The world’s largest travel site assessed the cost of a night for two at the nation's 10 largest destinations from the months of June through to the end of August, including a hotel room, dinner, drinks and a taxi ride.

It found the average night out for two people in Perth would set travellers back $430.83, with the hotel costing approximately half the total bill.

Perhaps surprisingly, Brisbane was the second most expensive spot, costing slightly less at $408.70, followed by Canberra at $389.54. Sydney came in at number four by a whisker, costing $389.27, while Melbourne was next at $379.07.

Wollongong, located south of Sydney, was found to have the best bargains at $339.84 for a night out.

Meanwhile Melbourne was named the most expensive location to dine out at, costing $175.30, while Sydney had the most expensive cocktails ($44) and Brisbane the priciest taxi rides ($25.26).

The total results were calculated by adding up the price of a four-star hotel room, a two-course dinner with wine at mid-range restaurants, drinks and return taxi rides.

TripIndex most expensive Australian destinations

1. Perth $430.83

2. Brisbane $408.70

3. Canberra $389.54

4. Sydney $389.27

5. Melbourne $379.07

6. Sunshine Coast $374.03

7. Gold Coast $370.49

8. Adelaide $356.12

9. Newcastle $355.44

10. Wollongong $339.84

Guest The Pom Queen
I am working for hospitality industry, in Perth.

.... where's the "profit" gone? Obviously, not to me :eek:

Unfortunately it never does :no: Hopefully you receive some good tips to make up for it

After all the comments on here about Perth being boring, I asked my son and his friends - group of 20/21 year old who have all lived in Perth their whole life if they thought it was. they all said no, that there's loads to do and a great live band scene etc but the problem is they can't afford to go out. Trip to a nightclub, few drinks, taxi home is over $100 which they can't afford.

For Brisbane its down to the cost of hotels, cabbie told me the other day there's a shortage, don't know if he's right but I was amazed at hotel costs here, way more expensive than Sydney for instance.

Big shortage. Brisbane is listed in the world's top 5 most attractive locations for hotel development atm.

Including hotel costs kind of limits the usefulness of this survey.

You either catch a cab if a local, or use a hotel if not, not both.

Disagree. Say you want to eat in Burswood then you either sell a kidney to stay there and then you have nowhere to go for pre dinner drinks or you stay in a hotel in Perth and get a cab

Archived