Emergency trip home to UK

Thom

My dear mother who lives in the UK, and who has never enjoyed the best of health, is more and more frequently becoming ill. I live in dread of getting a phone call from my sister, who lives two streets away from Mam, telling me either that she doesn't have long, or that she has passed away. Has anyone else had experience like this, and, if so, who can help? Is it worth contacting the British High Commission for help to get back quickly? Are there any other resources which people know of, which would/can help in this circumstance? Thanks in advance. Thom

Guest Guest16631

.......sorry to hear your mother's health isn't good.............OH was in your position a couple of years ago with his father............as well as work commitments,his father became unwell in August..........few seats available ,so did the best he could...........visited him when his family said he was going down hill.........spent some quality time with him.............and was here when he passed on...........even if we were livving in the same country............there would be no guarantee we would live close...........or even to be able to be with them at the end................I wish you well,and strength for your journey ahead............tink x

There are insurance companies that deal in this sort of thing, but won't cover pre-existing conditions so are pretty useless in the real world.

If it were me I'd be contacting the airlines if/when you need an emergency flight. If you have evidence, they can be very helpful (including sometimes letting you pay ordinary/discounted prices rather than the inflated last minute ones).

In the meantime, keep your passport current, write yourself a packing list so you can just tick the items off as you pack (no need for extra stress), and put emergency funds into a savings account so you won't touch them in the meantime. (Also figure out a plan to look after any other responsibilities you might have here in Australia, e.g. pets)

My dear mother who lives in the UK, and who has never enjoyed the best of health, is more and more frequently becoming ill. I live in dread of getting a phone call from my sister, who lives two streets away from Mam, telling me either that she doesn't have long, or that she has passed away. Has anyone else had experience like this, and, if so, who can help? Is it worth contacting the British High Commission for help to get back quickly? Are there any other resources which people know of, which would/can help in this circumstance? Thanks in advance. Thom

Hey there,

Sorry to hear of your situ. I used to work for major airlines and I know that most have compasionate fares if they have the availability on the flight. It would be best to ring around at that time whenever it may be and advise them of the situ. Again most airlines treat people on these fares with a little more TLC, I have seen people ugraded and have upgraded people myself knowing they are on these fares and are going through a stressful and worrying time. If upgrades are not the airlines policy i have seen people been given lounge access just to lighten the load of travelling a a difficult time.

To get these fares/treatment you usually need some evidence e.g. doctors/hospotal confirmation in order that people do not take advantage but this can be obtained quite quickly.

Hope this helps and chin up.

Dee :-)

Thanks again.

Has no one used the High Commission? I would have thought, but stand to be proved wrong, that they would be the first port of call?

To be honest, personally I'd be avoiding adding a middleman into the mix. The airlines are the ones that'll get you the compassionate fares, and that's about all you need really.

If you had visa issues (e.g. were on a bridging visa when this happened and DIAC were being exceedingly slow in thinking about granting a BVB) or had issues such as being responsible for a minor who's other parent has a block on your passports, or needed emergency travel documents due to accidentally flushing your passport down the loo, that's the sort of time when I'd be contacting the High Commision.

Thanks again.

Has no one used the High Commission? I would have thought, but stand to be proved wrong, that they would be the first port of call?

It is not their function to get you home if a family member is sick. If you were in trouble and needed to be repatriated then that would be a different matter. Sadly it is up to you to sort out if you need to get home in a hurry for a situation such as yours.

Wishing you luck a difficult time.

Thanks again.

It is not their function to get you home if a family member is sick. If you were in trouble and needed to be repatriated then that would be a different matter. Sadly it is up to you to sort out if you need to get home in a hurry for a situation such as yours.

Wishing you luck a difficult time.

Seconded. We were in the UK when my OH's dad in Australia was ill. My OH did contact the Australian commision to see if there was anything they could do to help him get back but they were unable to help. And the airlines are not very helpful unless you have evidence of the situation either, although to be fair anyone could say they had a family emergency if they just gave you cheap fares without some kind of evidence. In the end my OH's dad died while my OH was in transit. Fortunately we had been in Australia just a few months earlier and had spent time with him then so my OH didn't feel too bad about not being there at the end.

Have had to do this twice now. It is horrible. The first time I just went through a telephone booking. The second time was a Sunday which was a nightmare as you can't book online for flights that day, non of the agents offices were open. Ended up just driving to the airport and booking there. We were very lucky as only Thai were still open by lunchtime and they only had one seat available. We were charged regular price.

Brit commission won't help other than give you numbers for the airlines. Which by the way are also not manned on a Sunday.

Archived