To use an immigration agent or not?

Guest JmK

Hello all,

My other half and i have been considering emigrating for some time and we are finally in, or at least very close to being in a position to make such a step. We are thinking of applying for an independent skilled visa 175. My occupation is currently listed on the SOL but have not found any sponsorship offers with companies in Oz and besides i'm unsure of whether i want a 'debt of service' hanging over me.

We are considering using a migration agent however after a few searches via google, have been put off of using a number of them and would be be rather grateful for advice or recommendations of what companies are good or to just bite the bullet, put in the leg work and go DIY???

I've searched the forum and haven't found any up to date info regarding this, so any info would be well received.

Thanks

I recommend at least getting an initial assessment done by a reputable migration agent -- usually this is free. Then you can decide whether or not you wish to continue on with an agent or do it yourself (you'll at least know what you'll need to do going forward if you decide on the latter). Go Matilda are fairly highly regarded on PIO. Good luck.

If you want to go for a 175 you need a migration agent ;) you can't apply for it after July the first.

Do aome research, if it is straightforward do it yourself. If in a lot of doubt, you have no time, no interest or dedication for it or tou are close to loss of points, a limit or the end of a migration year, I would use an agent.

why do you need sponsorship with 175 - i thought it was independent of sponsorship. You dont even need a job offer.

Maybe i am out of the loop?

No, you're right - you don't need sponsorship with a 175. In fact, the 175 doesn't exist anymore with the new SkillSelect system.

Without knowing your details, it's hard to say. If you have a straightforward situation then I would totally recommend you to do it yourselves and save the cash.

I have an invitation to apply so am nearly there but have done it all by myself :) It's actually very straightforward and to be honest, an agent would be working with a number of people so would never put you first and you have more control doing it yourself.

But that's just my opinion. Do some more research, I think you're looking for a 189 visa (independant skilled) and good luck with your decision :)

also you have to do most of the donkey work yourself...get all the papers, sit ielts, get police certificates, get meds, get biorth certificates, get job assessment, etc...

If you can do all that yourself and you probably will then you could ...

also you have to do most of the donkey work yourself...get all the papers, sit ielts, get police certificates, get meds, get biorth certificates, get job assessment, etc...

If you can do all that yourself and you probably will then you could ...

Even with an agent you still have to schedule and take the IELTS, get the PCCs, schedule the meds, obtain birth certificates, etc. They won't do that stuff.

Hello all,

My other half and i have been considering emigrating for some time and we are finally in, or at least very close to being in a position to make such a step. We are thinking of applying for an independent skilled visa 175. My occupation is currently listed on the SOL but have not found any sponsorship offers with companies in Oz and besides i'm unsure of whether i want a 'debt of service' hanging over me.

We are considering using a migration agent however after a few searches via google, have been put off of using a number of them and would be be rather grateful for advice or recommendations of what companies are good or to just bite the bullet, put in the leg work and go DIY???

I've searched the forum and haven't found any up to date info regarding this, so any info would be well received.

Thanks

Hello

With all the new changes i would say use an agent but it would depend on how much time and funds you have.... We used Go Matilda as our application wasnt straight forward and i can say they were fantastic, very honest and helpful.... I would give them a call for some info and a quote and then you can make an informed decision.... Good luck....

After parting with a lot of cash in hindsight i would do it myself especially if you are a straight forward case, all the info is on here and all will help. Youd think that paying all that money to an agent they would be efficient,mine was pants and even rude,so save your cash , p.s go matilda though seem to get a good press. best o luck

Im with Jgt, if i had to do it again i would defo not use an agent,but its easy to say that after the event! also before i started the process i didnt know this forum existed, and there are lots of people on here that can guide you through it, i would save yourself a couple of grand! im actually thinking about becoming an agent myself now ive seen how much work they do for there money!!!! :happy_face_outlaw_s

Hey all, thanks very much for the info very helpful, we will defo look at Go Matilda.

I suppose we are lucky as our situation should be quite straight forward were both in late twenties early thirties, both skilled in our own trades.

Im an Aircraft maintenance engineer so luckily slot into the SOL list nicely (at the moment at least :biggrin:). I've also been pinging cv's every which way to see if i have a chance to get a work sponsor however no luck as yet, although i'm pretty sure if, we can get our 189 visas i will find work quite rapidly.

What is the waiting time like now EOI has gone live? I'm currently drafting it and have just got all my qualifications together to send off to TRA.

Guest melanie79

i decided to do it myself with a 175 (before skillselect), i think mine was straight forward enough. just myself looking to go and with a trade (nursing). i made sure i researched it well before i parted with the visa fee & that everything that needed to be done first like ielts & skills assessment was completed before i lodged my visa.my advice: lots of research though to make sure its your on the right path, many an evening on pio making sure i was getting it right!!!!! now waiting on a case officer to be allocated. best of luck! mel

Im an Aircraft maintenance engineer so luckily slot into the SOL list nicely (at the moment at least :biggrin:). I've also been pinging cv's every which way to see if i have a chance to get a work sponsor however no luck as yet, although i'm pretty sure if, we can get our 189 visas i will find work quite rapidly.QUOTE]

I did it myself, and that was without using forums - I only looked at the forums in the end! Sounds like you are a straight forward case, and I would definitely recommend going for it. There is so much information!

Get your skills assessed appropriately, lodge your EOI and off you go.

Your ages will give you extra points!

And if I were you, if you are able to get there independently, unless you needed help with the funds, would recommend it. Who wants to be tied in to anything if you don't have to be! That's the way we see it anyway.

But keep your pennies if you have a straight forward case - the move is expensive. Do some homework and ask questions on here, and you'll get there on your own...

Hey all, thanks very much for the info very helpful, we will defo look at Go Matilda.

I suppose we are lucky as our situation should be quite straight forward were both in late twenties early thirties, both skilled in our own trades.

Im an Aircraft maintenance engineer so luckily slot into the SOL list nicely (at the moment at least :biggrin:). I've also been pinging cv's every which way to see if i have a chance to get a work sponsor however no luck as yet, although i'm pretty sure if, we can get our 189 visas i will find work quite rapidly.

What is the waiting time like now EOI has gone live? I'm currently drafting it and have just got all my qualifications together to send off to TRA.

Having to get your skills assessed by TRA it would be advisable to speak to an agent - as they can be a nightmare to get a assessment from.

I've read through the TRA application form etc and it seems pretty straight forward also there is an IELTS test centre very close by. Are these the only pre requisites to lodge an EOI?

When are the Meds and PCC to be completed.....when i get an invitation to apply for a visa?

I'm also guessing my partner will need IELTS, meds, pcc etc?

I've read through the TRA application form etc and it seems pretty straight forward also there is an IELTS test centre very close by. Are these the only pre requisites to lodge an EOI?

When are the Meds and PCC to be completed.....when i get an invitation to apply for a visa?

I'm also guessing my partner will need IELTS, meds, pcc etc?

Yes, IELTS and skills assessment are required to lodge the EOI. You don't do the meds and PCCs until after the visa application has been lodged and usually only after requested to do so by a case officer as their dates are tied to the date by which you must enter Australia to activate the visa.

Your partner doesn't need to do the IELTS if they are from the UK, US, Canada, Ireland or NZ. But they will need to do meds and PCCs.

Sorry for the million questions and thanks for the help so far.

So if I am a uk passport holder with English as my first language, do I still need ielts or is it advisable, extra points etc?

Archived