Perth high schools

Hayley487

Hi I'm Hayley and I'm turning 16. I'm moving to Perth NOR with my family in September. We were wondering about the WA education system. I'm from Ireland and I've just finished my Junior Cert ( State exam ). When we arrive, I will be going in to year 10 until they get their summer hols ( 2 or 3 months ). Would people in Australia recommend state or private high schools as private schools in Ireland would be quite rare?!

Hi I'm Hayley and I'm turning 16. I'm moving to Perth NOR with my family in September. We were wondering about the WA education system. I'm from Ireland and I've just finished my Junior Cert ( State exam ). When we arrive, I will be going in to year 10 until they get their summer hols ( 2 or 3 months ). Would people in Australia recommend state or private high schools as private schools in Ireland would be quite rare?!

My daughter has just completed her Junior cert also and will be attending Ocean Reef senior high. She will be going straight into year 11 as they will give you credits based on your Junior cert results.

I don't think you can enter year 10 as it goes by your age. She has an appointment with the school on Monday so will let you know how it goes.

I would say if you're prepared to work at school then either would be fine. Woodvale High has a great rep and and Ocean Reef High. I have heard they are pretty much as good as private ed schools.

Good luck!

Guest guest17301

Be careful with some of the WA private schools as I have heard that they underperform compare to some of the better state schools...paying is not necessarily an indicator of a good education...also depends what your areas of interest and skills are....

Thanks for the replies :) moven, what do you mean by credits?

As you will be starting the year approx 9 months in you will receive credits for missing that time. i.e you will be judged on the 3 months or so that you have attended school

It depends where you are going to live. There are about 4 non private schools in the top 20 schools list - all the rest are private. Some private schools don't do as well as the Govt schools. Some of the best govt schools (made the top 50 list last year) - Rossmoyne, Chuchlands, Shenton College, Duncraig, Willleton, Applecross and Carine. If you go to one of those schools then you would be fine.

My daughter has just completed her Junior cert also and will be attending Ocean Reef senior high. She will be going straight into year 11 as they will give you credits based on your Junior cert results.

I don't think you can enter year 10 as it goes by your age. She has an appointment with the school on Monday so will let you know how it goes.

Hi Moven

Hope you don't mind me asking what you thought of Ocean Reef High School when you visited recently. We are also going to Perth in September and looking at schools NOR. Thanks.

Hi Moven

Hope you don't mind me asking what you thought of Ocean Reef High School when you visited recently. We are also going to Perth in September and looking at schools NOR. Thanks.

Great, very friendly and helpful. Daughter started year 10 today and loves it!

Hi Moven

Just wondering if you got any extra baggage allowance when you booked your flights? Thanks

No, flew from Cork so had to use Aer Lingus to get to London. If you fly from Dublin, you can get it through the IOM if it suits. Contact Brid at the Dublin office

• bmcloughlin@iom.int

Archived