Csa threat may threaten move

corinne14470

Husband has has joint custody of his daughter from 1st marriage since the child has been 6. She's now 15. Meant to be coming out to us next June (we go out in 6 wks). Hubby always paid money monthly even when child has been with us 4 nights a week regularly and I've thought he shouldn't. Anyway mum has just said give us your address in oz as I need to tell csa. When we get their my hubby is on a low wage and I am already panicking about living costs. This is a serious threat. We had told her we wanted nothing from her when she came to us and stayed in education. Really fed up- only booked our flights this morning :(

Guest Trueblue22

Don't quote me on this but I have heard that the CSA decisions here in the UK mean nothing in Oz...might be worth checking out and then trying to come to some sort of mutual arrangement between yourselves....hard I know but might be worth a shot?

x

Husband has has joint custody of his daughter from 1st marriage since the child has been 6. She's now 15. Meant to be coming out to us next June (we go out in 6 wks). Hubby always paid money monthly even when child has been with us 4 nights a week regularly and I've thought he shouldn't. Anyway mum has just said give us your address in oz as I need to tell csa. When we get their my hubby is on a low wage and I am already panicking about living costs. This is a serious threat. We had told her we wanted nothing from her when she came to us and stayed in education. Really fed up- only booked our flights this morning :(

I am not sure I understand the issue? You pay maintenance now and presumably would plan to do in Australia, why does this threaten the move?

Guest guest36187

Rupert asked what I was thinking.

It makes no difference! We paid maintenance for my two step kids from here until they were eighteen.

Its not a threat to your move. Paying for kids is a necessity and needs to be factored in. If it means something else has to give (eg you don't go out as much or don't have foxtel etc) then so be it.

There is a reciprical agreement and the CSA can ask your OH for child support from the UK. However, it applies from when you land on Aussie soil as far as CSA Australia are worried about, so what that means is your child support will be based on your OH's income here in Australia so if hes on a low income he will pay either very little or nothing. Any monies that your OH owes over in the UK cannot be chased as I found to my own detriment!

Hi to those thinking we are trying to avoid paying this is far from true. I think I stated that we all agreed present payment would stop when we moved out and when the child came out to stay we would ask for nothing in return to support her in education for a longer time. This was a very fair arrangement. If I didn't state this many apologies but hope this has cleared it . It jeopardises our move as things will b extremely tight until I can secure a job that pays something after childcare

I

Hi to those thinking we are trying to avoid paying this is far from true. I think I stated that we all agreed present payment would stop when we moved out and when the child came out to stay we would ask for nothing in return to support her in education for a longer time. This was a very fair arrangement. If I didn't state this many apologies but hope this has cleared it . It jeopardises our move as things will b extremely tight until I can secure a job that

Hi to those thinking we are trying to avoid paying this is far from true. I think I stated that we all agreed present payment would stop when we moved out and when the child came out to stay we would ask for nothing in return to support her in education for a longer time. This was a very fair arrangement. If I didn't state this many apologies but hope this has cleared it . It jeopardises our move as things will b extremely tight until I can secure a job that pays something after childcare

I

I wasn't thinking anything other than I don't understand what is jeopardising your move? You didn't say present payment would stop in your first post, but you are now? So in fact if anyone had thought you were thinking of stopping payment they would have been right? I still don't understand why you think this is jeopardising the move ... your OH has to pay child support. Does now, will in the future, what has changed?

Not sure what you mean about the child coming out to Australia, do you mean to visit you or coming to live with you? Of course if she is living with you you would not be paying child support to mother anymore. But if you mean to visit, then stopping payment in return for a few weeks holiday does not seem particularly fair. And all of that could be completely irrelevant but I am really struggling to make head or tail of what you are saying.

I apologise for the confusion - I was writing on my phone in longhand!

The child in question is going to finish her studies in the UK(with Mum) but come out to us after GCSES and go to college in Oz. We said we would stop paying now as we wouldn't be asking for anything from Mum when daughter comes with us and continues her education in Oz. Hubby has now agreed to continue to pay for peace and when daughter comes out to us, mum has told us she will give us nothing to support her (which I stress was not what we wanted anyway), we were just trying to be fair. Financially we are moving on a shoestring as I have not yet secured a job (the husband has) and also I have to factor childcare costs against any job I get. This is the reason for the jeopardy as we were on a shoestring in the first 6months-1 year before a further expense.

Guest trasi

i understand what your saying...... personally, if thats how the mother is being, then despite what she says about not paying, i would put an order in for her to pay costs when the daughter is living with you until she is 18. If shes being unreasonable then be unreasonable back !

It works both ways..... why should a dad pay and the mother not......

i understand what your saying...... personally, if thats how the mother is being, then despite what she says about not paying, i would put an order in for her to pay costs when the daughter is living with you until she is 18. If shes being unreasonable then be unreasonable back !

I think this is a very valid point.

Guest guest36187

Just my personal opinion but you SHOULD pay up until the child finishes full time education OR is eighteen. If the child moves over to you in the middle of that, then your payments stop. It would be up to you then whether you asked mum for payments.

Stopping paying now because daughter is coming to you is not really acceptable or fair to her mother now!

I agree, works both ways, make sure you tell her that you will contact the CSA when the daughter moves in with you, so she is aware of this before you leave.

I apologise for the confusion - I was writing on my phone in longhand!

The child in question is going to finish her studies in the UK(with Mum) but come out to us after GCSES and go to college in Oz. We said we would stop paying now as we wouldn't be asking for anything from Mum when daughter comes with us and continues her education in Oz. Hubby has now agreed to continue to pay for peace and when daughter comes out to us, mum has told us she will give us nothing to support her (which I stress was not what we wanted anyway), we were just trying to be fair. Financially we are moving on a shoestring as I have not yet secured a job (the husband has) and also I have to factor childcare costs against any job I get. This is the reason for the jeopardy as we were on a shoestring in the first 6months-1 year before a further expense.

Ok got you. Well in that case, I agree with others that if you are paying maintenance now then the mother should be in the future when you have her. It does work both ways and you should tell her now that you will seek payments in the future under the new arrangement.

Hehe thanks all...that confusion ruffled some feathers didn't it!!

Glad most agree :-) She's getting her way now anyway as hubby decided to continue to pay after we have gone and then we will just pay totally for her when she is in Oz. Not fair in anyone's book but what goes round comes around...

I'm glad to say I work hard, am honest, treat people fairly and expect nothing from the government and that is something that has appealed about the move to Oz :)))

Hi Corinne -- from my experience the csa (now cmec) has no authority to make you pay maintenance from oz. However,im sure your husband would still like to contribute towards his daughters upbringing as proved by the way you both have admirably supported the daughter both in residential and financial care previously. It can be very difficult maintaining your relationship from abroad particularly if an ex partner restricts contact (by phone skype etc) or even doesnt allow holidays for the child abroad. This was my experienece having returned to oz the land of my childhood (8yrs)-- it meant returning to the uk untill my lad will be 15 and old enough to make his own wishes and desires clear. I am set to return to oz in 12mnths time prior to my visa expiring. My local mp, fnf and others assisted me greatly with discussions with the csa back in 2007. However, without the balanced support from ex partners life can be made more difficult than neccessary -- however, stick to your dreams, desires and goals -- adversity builds character and love does conquer all in the end.

I'm glad to say I work hard, am honest, treat people fairly and expect nothing from the government and that is something that has appealed about the move to Oz :)))

You might get a shock then, the Australian government rewards people for not working and having more children than they can afford and hammers those that try to provide for themselves time after time. Far more than even the UK does, you don't even get a state pension here if you have tried to save up your own nest egg as well.

Oh now that's crap!! Cancel flights! Seriously, that is so uk like. The only plus I could see that is they don't fish out benefits for the first 2 years which would surely put a lot of people off or at least those in uk on benefits anyhoooo!!! Ahh well it'll be warmer :)

My understanding, and this isn't from first hand experience, is that CSA payments are based on your income. So if it initially falls whilst in Australia then there should be scope to temporarily reduce them.

I'm pretty sure that they'd insist that the husband maintains payments once in Australia, but conversely the ex would have an obligation to make them once the daughter moves. That said, there's always the chance the she might decide to remain in the UK for A levels.

Oh now that's crap!! Cancel flights! Seriously, that is so uk like. The only plus I could see that is they don't fish out benefits for the first 2 years which would surely put a lot of people off or at least those in uk on benefits anyhoooo!!! Ahh well it'll be warmer :)

There's no 2 year wait for Family Assistance payments. Assuming you are eligible (PR for instance) then you can claim your family tax benefit and childcare payments etc from the moment you arrive.

Sent via Tapatalk

Archived