Is it possible to rent a house without a job? any experiences in doing this?

Guest jilkfree1978

Guest jilkfree1978

Hello, we are moving to Australia in November and would like to rent/ lease a 4 bedroom house for between $350 to $450 and we wont have a job when we arrive, is it possible to lease without a job? we have $38,000 in the bank, We are willing to pay the 1st 6 months rent up front. Just wondered if anyone else had done this before? We would like to hear you experiences, thank you.

Lots of people have been in your position and succesfully rented. Include with your application a covering letter stating your new to the country and are currently job seeking and then as RockDr says , include a copy of a healthy bank account to show you have funds to pay.

Good Luck

Cal x

yes you will be fine we just secured a rental with no jobs and we had $23000 in oz account and £30000 in uk and we showed statement for both aswell as job refs from uk.my husband starts his new job monday but we didnt have that when we applied hope this helps from sara.

You could offer to pay 6 months rent up front, if you come across PPl with jobs are getting selected first!!!

From what an real estate agent friend of my son tells me, they don't like this, its too much work for them. Best way to get a place is to offer $10 a week more on the asking price. That could be paid from the interest from the bank on the 6 months rent you don't pay upfront. I checked this on a landlord's forum and they confirmed it.

Guest jilkfree1978
From what an real estate agent friend of my son tells me, they don't like this, its too much work for them. Best way to get a place is to offer $10 a week more on the asking price. That could be paid from the interest from the bank on the 6 months rent you don't pay upfront. I checked this on a landlord's forum and they confirmed it.

Hello, I have contacted 2 real estate agents and they have accepted me as long as I pay 6 months rent up front, so you can go back to the landlords forum and tell them.

Hello, I have contacted 2 real estate agents and they have accepted me as long as I pay 6 months rent up front, so you can go back to the landlords forum and tell them.

Care to share with us the names of the estate agents concerned? I'd be very interested.

As far as I'm aware its illegal in every state for an agent to demand 6 month's rent upfront. Certainly that's the case in New South Wales.

From http://www.tenants.org.au/publish/factsheet-02-starting-tenancy/index.php

Rent in advance

The landlord/agent or the tenancy agreement cannot require you to pay more than 2 weeks rent in advance (you may choose to pay more, however). They cannot demand further rent until it falls due and cannot ask for a post-dated cheque.

And the laws for all states:

http://www.rentalagreementsdiy.com.au/tenancy_laws_in_australia.php

Edited by stevemalbec
More information.

Guest jilkfree1978
Care to share with us the names of the estate agents concerned? I'd be very interested.

As far as I'm aware its illegal in every state for an agent to demand 6 month's rent upfront. Certainly that's the case in New South Wales.

From http://www.tenants.org.au/publish/factsheet-02-starting-tenancy/index.php

Rent in advance

The landlord/agent or the tenancy agreement cannot require you to pay more than 2 weeks rent in advance (you may choose to pay more, however). They cannot demand further rent until it falls due and cannot ask for a post-dated cheque.

And the laws for all states:

http://www.rentalagreementsdiy.com.au/tenancy_laws_in_australia.php

Sorry I worded it wrong (I offered to pay 6 months rent in advance and they have accepted me)

Why dont you buzz off and bother someone else you arent even in Australia!!

Well the landlord would confirm it because financially it works in his/her favour. After 6 months they are allowed to increase the rent......you will already have increased it yourselves by $10 at the start of the lease...and they then increase it again by say a min of $10 if you want to renew after 6 months....and so on and so on.Its ok i think if you are going to only stay 6 months, but what if you want to keep renewing for more than a few years?.....rent always goes up..never goes down...personally i think you are better off offering 3 or 6 months up front.Yes its illegal for them to' demand 'it upfront, but it isnt illegal for you to offer and for the agent to accept (not in QLD anyway). At the end of the day, your 3 or 6 months up front offer might just be the difference between getting the property you want or not, especially without jobs...i've been here long enough to get wise to the rental lark i can tell you!!.......a lot of agents dont accept your 6 months offer upfront, but it does offer security to the landlord and shows willing on your part. On the Gold Coast i have found most leases are offered on 6 month terms to start..have never found one offering 12 months initially but that doesnt mean they are'nt out there i suppose..wouldnt want it myself, just incase i hated it...been there done that.

Sorry I worded it wrong (I offered to pay 6 months rent in advance and they have accepted me)

Why dont you buzz off and bother someone else you arent even in Australia!!

That's a classy reply! I thought this was a forum to inform the members, so when someone gives out false information I think they should be told. Not my fault if you worded it wrong. And as I've just paid almost $38,000 for my second VAC on my CPV 143, I shall be there within weeks. Or are you saying that only people actually in Australia should be allowed to post? If so half the posters would be banned. You got it wrong, get over it.

We were in the same position as you when we came over in June. No job but money in the bank. We secured a 9 month rental by showing bank statement with money in, copy of mortgage statement showing that each month we paid on time, no arrears. Copy of visa's. Be prepared to be quick at looking at houses, as rentals go really fast and 20 families turn up at one viewing.

Another place to look for a rental is gumtree, we got ours from there and a lot of private landlords use this as then the real estate agents don't take a cut. We only paid 2 weeks rent up front and 4 weeks bond. This seems the norm.

Contact me if you need anything else.

Guest jilkfree1978
That's a classy reply! I thought this was a forum to inform the members, so when someone gives out false information I think they should be told. Not my fault if you worded it wrong. And as I've just paid almost $38,000 for my second VAC on my CPV 143, I shall be there within weeks. Or are you saying that only people actually in Australia should be allowed to post? If so half the posters would be banned. You got it wrong, get over it.

Thanks!!

Btw, you don't say where you want to live.

I'm guessing not central Sydney, since $450 won't get you a house. Anyway, one thing to bear in mind is that if you need to compete with others in applying, then the "safest" bet may get preference.

However, if you offer several months up front, if that's legal in that state, then I'm sure you'll be the most attractive offer!

D

Btw, you don't say where you want to live.

I'm guessing not central Sydney, since $450 won't get you a house. Anyway, one thing to bear in mind is that if you need to compete with others in applying, then the "safest" bet may get preference.

However, if you offer several months up front, if that's legal in that state, then I'm sure you'll be the most attractive offer!

D

To offer isn't illegal, only for agents to demand it. My sources say that agents don't like taking so much in advance as it involves them with a lot more work. Landlords not using agents are a different case altogether. If a prospective tenant offered me 6 months rent in advance for one of my properties I'd sign them up on the spot.

Guest jilkfree1978
To offer isn't illegal, only for agents to demand it. My sources say that agents don't like taking so much in advance as it involves them with a lot more work. Landlords not using agents are a different case altogether. If a prospective tenant offered me 6 months rent in advance for one of my properties I'd sign them up on the spot.

thanks!!!!!

Edited by jilkfree1978